Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I assume men in my dance classes are either gay or there to meet women lol
  • 123liveoak
    123liveoak Posts: 2,239 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    81Katz wrote: »
    Married people with secret credit cards or bank accounts, I assume even you don't believe your marriage will last.

I was one of these people and I would agree.

I Should've been one of those
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I assume that if you don't hold the door open for people then you weren't raised in the midwest

I thought people looked at me weird because I'm a lady that holds doors open for people regardless of whether they are male or female.

It's really funny when an older man shows up and insists on holding it open for me to pass because in his mind, it must not be acceptable to have a "young" lady standing there holding the door for people. Midwest mentality.

Is it really a Midwest thing? I've lived all over (originally from MO) and it does seem less prevalent on the coast (but I encounter it a lot here (MS).
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I assume that if you don't hold the door open for people then you weren't raised in the midwest

I thought people looked at me weird because I'm a lady that holds doors open for people regardless of whether they are male or female.

It's really funny when an older man shows up and insists on holding it open for me to pass because in his mind, it must not be acceptable to have a "young" lady standing there holding the door for people. Midwest mentality.

Is it really a Midwest thing? I've lived all over (originally from MO) and it does seem less prevalent on the coast (but I encounter it a lot here (MS).

I love when older men do this, I find it absolutely adorable. :blush:
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

It is, but sometimes, they like to get sassy and get in little pseudo arguments with me over what is and isn't appropriate, lol.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

It is, but sometimes, they like to get sassy and get in little pseudo arguments with me over what is and isn't appropriate, lol.

So what isn’t appropriate?
  • 123liveoak
    123liveoak Posts: 2,239 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

That's good stuff but it's generational and it will be gone within 20 years. Love the over-age-50 Midwesterners for this though!

I'm used to seeing able bodied young and middle aged men sitting comfortably and sexting on the bus while a woman 9 months pregnant stands with her knees buckling and visible beads of sweat on her forehead. Or when the guy with crutches got on the bus and everyone just sat there and made him stand the whole way. Okay I better stop walking down memory lane now. It's making me more misanthropic than I already am.

Oh this has been an issue...almost 20 yrs ago ...this happened to me...phone was not an excuse
  • caco_ethes
    Options

That's good stuff but it's generational and it will be gone within 20 years. Love the over-age-50 Midwesterners for this though!

I'm used to seeing able bodied young and middle aged men sitting comfortably and sexting on the bus while a woman 9 months pregnant stands with her knees buckling and visible beads of sweat on her forehead. Or when the guy with crutches got on the bus and everyone just sat there and made him stand the whole way. Okay I better stop walking down memory lane now. It's making me more misanthropic than I already am.

This is a hard thing to navigate in the upper Midwest where if a young woman were to give up her seat for an elderly man, it’s as likely to leave him feeling emasculated as grateful. It’s so hard to know how to handle sometimes.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

So what isn’t appropriate?

It's an affront to them in general for a woman to hold open a door for them. How they were raised in their era vs. how I was raised in mine. I usually don't contest it too much as I don't think it's worth arguing, but internally, I giggle about it.

The best ones are when there's confusion over who is holding the door and eventually I just go in/out because I realize he's just gonna sit there and hold the door until I pass and I'm not an *kitten* about it. Still, it's somewhat cute when it happens.

It is and I will be sad when it does go. I've already noticed far fewer people in my age range that are as polite in general and I get that I'm a bit of a rarity. Hell, not even my husband holds open doors for people. It's just something I was raised around and so it stuck. I don't get offended if no one holds open the door, but it is sad not to see that level of casual politeness extended to random strangers often.

Trust me, I see plenty of what you describe everywhere I've lived so far. It's depressing. I just can't live being one of those people. I may not like most humans, but that doesn't excuse me from being an *kitten* or get me out of general courtesy to other people.

• KosmosKitten
    Options

From my experience it doesn't seen like those things happen as often in other regions.
    What I do notice about men, mostly older men, is that they will say "thank you" but then hold the door up high and say things like "ladies first" or "go ahead". I don't know if its chivalry or what, but it is much nicer than the people who walk right in without saying a word or even acknowledging you exist.

I can't deny that I am a little disappointed when they walk by without acknowledging the person who went out of their way to hold open the door, but I've gotten used to it at this point.

And yes, hold that door open and make me go under your underarm arch, I don't mind. :D
  • Brown_Eyed_Squirrel
    Options
    I assume that if you text me after midnight to ask how I'm doing you really don't want to know how I'm doing.

Looks around time...12:47...How YOU doin'? ;)
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    I assume that when a Prius driver pulls out in front of me that they actually want me to run over them and end their miserable existence.

This made me laugh more than it should have.... :D:D:D
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I assume that if you text me after midnight to ask how I'm doing you really don't want to know how I'm doing.

Yea they do. Specifically, if you're horny and how horny. Duh ;)

Or to put it another way, how you're doing down there
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options

From my experience it doesn't seen like those things happen as often in other regions.
    What I do notice about men, mostly older men, is that they will say "thank you" but then hold the door up high and say things like "ladies first" or "go ahead". I don't know if its chivalry or what, but it is much nicer than the people who walk right in without saying a word or even acknowledging you exist.

I always hold the door open for a pretty lady.

How am I supposed to check-out your backside if I walk thru the door first?
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

I always hold the door open for a pretty lady.

How am I supposed to check-out your backside if I walk thru the door first?

Consider also the possibility of IEDs or other hazard... Best to let the hotties take point.

When typing a forum post online, I assume that many people will not be able to read my post without moving their lips.