Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Hot water again ($350.00 later, ugh). The guy who did the repair was trying to sell up an updated version of the water heater for twice that, and since this one's only about 3 years old, and we'll probably get 3 more years at least out of it, no thanks. I took a shower at the gym Sunday since we were going out, yuck, just nasty. Basically clean, but people leave residue like hair and melted soap bars all over. Glad I don't have to use it every day!

Mmmm, that chocolate is eye-candy as much as mouth-candy! I've never seen anything like that.

This must be expensive repairs week. I had my annual boiler inspection today, and the tech came out, very apologetic, and explained that mine is discharging 2500 ppm of carbon monoxide to the outside vent, and that's a problem. (Inside is "only" 16 ppm.) His concern is if the vent pipe springs a leak, that we've suddenly got a fatal situation.

I trust this company, and I've used them for years (and the previous owners did before that), so I know he's being honest with me.

Options are to try to rebuild a 35-year-old boiler, with no guarantee that it'll fix the problem, or to replace it.

They'll do an estimate on Thursday for replacement cost. It looks in the ballpark of $5K to $10K. I figure if they'll do it for $7K or below, I'll replace. If not, I'll rebuild, and hope for the best.

Homeownership is so much fun.

Oh noooo! I'm so sorry to hear that - and what a horrible time of year to have to deal with this! On the other hand, carbon monoxide poisoning is a real threat, and I'm really glad you found out before anything fatal happened.

Yeah, the timing was not fantastic on this one -- I leave for London in a week for vacation. :D Normally I'd feel guilty about the expense, but it's not like I can recoup the money I've already spent -- the plane tickets were the most expensive, and they're non-refundable.

My emergency account can't absorb the hit, and I don't want to raid my IRA because of the tax implications, but I did apply for and got a new credit card that has 0 percent interest for 18 months. I had another card I could have thrown it on, but 0 is better than 20 percent. (And 20 was better than the tax hit.)

I keep telling myself that this is an emergency, and that it was 35 years old -- so it probably needed to be replaced at some point. Better to learn this when it's not an acute emergency, and when I can take a few days to make some decisions.

The woman who made the appointment for the estimate said that they'd give some options in a variety of price ranges, so hopefully there is something there that is sub $7K. They told the tech the ballpark of $5K to $10K, with the caveat of "could be more, could be less" depending on how efficient I wanted to take it. I figure at this point, anything that's not 35 years old is automatically going to be more efficient.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »

Excellent job! You can ask for a fasting insulin blood draw at the same time you get a fasting HbA1C draw, and fasting glucose. Then you can plug insulin and glucose into this calculator to determine your IR score: https://www.thebloodcode.com/homa-ir-calculator/

The A1C is just going to be a measure for long-running glucose, but either way that's excellent news. Metformin actually has no adverse effects long-term, improves insulin sensitivity, and may actually attenuate some cancer agents: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/37/7/1786

However, if you would like to not be on prescription metformin, berberine hcl actually works the same and perhaps may be better overall since it doesn't cause much distress at higher doses.

Thank you! The A1C is excellent news as there is a high incidence of diabetes in my family - especially my mother's side, and both of my parents and my sister all 3 are now type 2 diabetics, so I'm very happy to see that I'm not inching in that direction myself. In truth, not wanting to be a diabetic is one of the things that finally get me past my mental hurdles back in January to start losing weight - well, that coupled with my age and knowing that the older I was as an obese person, the greater my health risks would be.

Thanks for the link - that is interesting! Though I'm one of the outliers; I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 3 nodules in 2014 after having been on high doses of metformin since 2005. But who knows? My cancer was caught early and though the goiters were large - one almost the size of a half dollar - the cancer cells only half filled them and had not spread beyond, and my bloodwork since 2014 has been excellent; I've been told I'm in the lowest possible percentile for re-occurrence, which is excellent news, so perhaps the metformin had something to do with that; I wonder if they are also testing to see if metformin can also slow cancer growth?

I was prescribed metformin when I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2005; at the time, it was just automatically done as metformin was thought to be a big help with PCOS symptoms. I was told I was insulin resistant at that time even though my blood sugar has never been out of the normal range and that the metformin should help delay onset of diabetes, especially considering my family history for that disease.

Nowadays, from what I'm seeing, the benefits of meformin for PCOS patients is in question and it's not seen as quite the miracle drug it once was. And its been linked with B12 deficiency and has been shown to interfer with thyroid medication. Of course, its mild and can be monitored - my B12 levels are checked often and are fine, and I make sure to take my synthroid at a different time than my metformin, and even it the metformin is making the synthroid a little less effective, all my doctor does is increases my dosage until I'm where she wants me to be.

I'm just one of those folks who'd like to be taking as little medication as possible and woudl prefer not to take something that I don't really need. That, and I really get tired of being flagged as being diabetic when I'm not; since metformin is considered a diabetes drug, if you're prescribed it, its often assumed you have diabetes.

However, with that formula you posted, now I really would like to get the numbers and see if I'm still insulin resistant. I checked back to my test results, and the ones I had 2 weeks ago did not include insulin levels; I'll have to make sure the doctor requests that next time!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Hot water again ($350.00 later, ugh). The guy who did the repair was trying to sell up an updated version of the water heater for twice that, and since this one's only about 3 years old, and we'll probably get 3 more years at least out of it, no thanks. I took a shower at the gym Sunday since we were going out, yuck, just nasty. Basically clean, but people leave residue like hair and melted soap bars all over. Glad I don't have to use it every day!

Mmmm, that chocolate is eye-candy as much as mouth-candy! I've never seen anything like that.

This must be expensive repairs week. I had my annual boiler inspection today, and the tech came out, very apologetic, and explained that mine is discharging 2500 ppm of carbon monoxide to the outside vent, and that's a problem. (Inside is "only" 16 ppm.) His concern is if the vent pipe springs a leak, that we've suddenly got a fatal situation.

I trust this company, and I've used them for years (and the previous owners did before that), so I know he's being honest with me.

Options are to try to rebuild a 35-year-old boiler, with no guarantee that it'll fix the problem, or to replace it.

They'll do an estimate on Thursday for replacement cost. It looks in the ballpark of $5K to $10K. I figure if they'll do it for $7K or below, I'll replace. If not, I'll rebuild, and hope for the best.

Ouch! That sounds a lot like what happened to ours - I'm pretty sure the landlords paid about $7k for a new one. The worst part? A month later they had to pay to have the ceiling in the dining room replaced after a huge chunk of plaster fell in. I would have totally understood if they'd raised our rent, but thankfully not, seven years and counting!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

Excellent job! You can ask for a fasting insulin blood draw at the same time you get a fasting HbA1C draw, and fasting glucose. Then you can plug insulin and glucose into this calculator to determine your IR score: https://www.thebloodcode.com/homa-ir-calculator/

The A1C is just going to be a measure for long-running glucose, but either way that's excellent news. Metformin actually has no adverse effects long-term, improves insulin sensitivity, and may actually attenuate some cancer agents: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/37/7/1786

However, if you would like to not be on prescription metformin, berberine hcl actually works the same and perhaps may be better overall since it doesn't cause much distress at higher doses.

Thank you! The A1C is excellent news as there is a high incidence of diabetes in my family - especially my mother's side, and both of my parents and my sister all 3 are now type 2 diabetics, so I'm very happy to see that I'm not inching in that direction myself. In truth, not wanting to be a diabetic is one of the things that finally get me past my mental hurdles back in January to start losing weight - well, that coupled with my age and knowing that the older I was as an obese person, the greater my health risks would be.

Thanks for the link - that is interesting! Though I'm one of the outliers; I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 3 nodules in 2014 after having been on high doses of metformin since 2005. But who knows? My cancer was caught early and though the goiters were large - one almost the size of a half dollar - the cancer cells only half filled them and had not spread beyond, and my bloodwork since 2014 has been excellent; I've been told I'm in the lowest possible percentile for re-occurrence, which is excellent news, so perhaps the metformin had something to do with that; I wonder if they are also testing to see if metformin can also slow cancer growth?

I was prescribed metformin when I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2005; at the time, it was just automatically done as metformin was thought to be a big help with PCOS symptoms. I was told I was insulin resistant at that time even though my blood sugar has never been out of the normal range and that the metformin should help delay onset of diabetes, especially considering my family history for that disease.

Nowadays, from what I'm seeing, the benefits of meformin for PCOS patients is in question and it's not seen as quite the miracle drug it once was. And its been linked with B12 deficiency and has been shown to interfer with thyroid medication. Of course, its mild and can be monitored - my B12 levels are checked often and are fine, and I make sure to take my synthroid at a different time than my metformin, and even it the metformin is making the synthroid a little less effective, all my doctor does is increases my dosage until I'm where she wants me to be.

I'm just one of those folks who'd like to be taking as little medication as possible and woudl prefer not to take something that I don't really need. That, and I really get tired of being flagged as being diabetic when I'm not; since metformin is considered a diabetes drug, if you're prescribed it, its often assumed you have diabetes.

However, with that formula you posted, now I really would like to get the numbers and see if I'm still insulin resistant. I checked back to my test results, and the ones I had 2 weeks ago did not include insulin levels; I'll have to make sure the doctor requests that next time!

The way I see it, Metformin for PCOS is the equivalent of being put on BPC for menstrual regulation. It doesn't mean anything other than it's a measure to counter dysfunctional hormone secretion. For PCOS, incidence of insulin resistance is high which is a precursor for metabolic syndrome like diabetes, so Metformin is just a way of keeping glucose disposal in check as well as reducing insulin resistance. Fat loss via strength/resistance training in PCOS diagnoses actually helps twofold: 1) improves body composition (without change in weight) and 2) improves inherent insulin resistance found in PCOS women. Add a proper hypocaloric diet and you can include fat weight loss as well.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0138793

To address any B12 deficiencies, it's the argument why vegans and vegetarians need to supplement it, because they avoid animal sourced protein. The debate that B12 needs to come from plant life originally is true, but the ruminant digestion actually makes it bioavailable in animal tissue as well, so either way, B12 can be addressed in a variety of ways.

As for Metformin addressing the cancer cell growth, it's only plausible at this time to say whether it was the sole reason for reducing the rate of growth, however, it also can't be discounted because it is seen to have an effect, so it's also very possible that it did help. But it is good to know that recurrence is unlikely, or at least very low, so that's always good to hear!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Hey, we have hugs now. Hugs all around. Lol

I've just come on now (jumping in this thread first) and noticed the hug, and the awesome "woo" face...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    But at the price of awesome...

Anyhoo, guessing game time. This is my Pa, guess how old he is.

217762_10150231068200739_3914159_n.jpg?oh=e99ccd380e94fa21af8833bfc56db191&oe=5AB3F7CA
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Things are getting a bit weird when you wake up and have to read this thread to work out whether you actually read and saw pictures of @Nony_Mouse in snow, or if you were just dreaming.... Just dreaming! Nony, you'd made a few snowmen, and a snow violin that you were pretending to play, and you were very excited! Haha
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Things are getting a bit weird when you wake up and have to read this thread to work out whether you actually read and saw pictures of @Nony_Mouse in snow, or if you were just dreaming.... Just dreaming! Nony, you'd made a few snowmen, and a snow violin that you were pretending to play, and you were very excited! Haha

FFS, went to hit 'awesome'. That is totally something I would do, because I do get very excited about snow.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse - put me down for 68.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I spend one day out running errands and you all are busy bees posting away.

Speaking of running, I felt somewhat back to halfway energetic this morning and ran some intervals on the treadmill this morning. The real test will be to see if I feel okay tomorrow or if I feel wiped out in the aftermath.

I really would love to slowly work my way back into it, because I do miss it.

Hugs to everyone now I guess. At least the woo button is no longer ambiguous.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Speaking of running, I felt somewhat back to halfway energetic this morning and ran some intervals on the treadmill this morning. The real test will be to see if I feel okay tomorrow or if I feel wiped out in the aftermath.

'Like', I guess, though that really should be awesome for the running.

Hay fever is kicking my *kitten* today. I may need to take another antihistamine, which will be my third in 6 hours, so likely means napping.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    My new bling arrived!! I has Fitbit on my wrist again!!!! It makes the actual device bit seem really, really huge. Haven't heard from the store yet about the official replacement. Hopefully that happens by Friday morning, because I so don't want to go near the shopping centre on the weekend.

iy4qfjzv4cwj.jpg

Ah so pretty. I have so many issues with straps, which is much better now that my watch takes standard watch straps. I get an intense dermatitis/allergic reaction to anything that isn't completely breathable. So silicon straps are a no, leather straps are a no. I have settled on milanese stainless steel for the last couple and will keep an eye out for something more exciting.

And I went to a mall yesterday. Hated life and everyone in it, spent at least 20 minutes just trying to find a parking space. Hence chocolate reward. And then it was so draining mentally on top of already ridiculous levels of fatigue that I fell asleep really early but then was really restless so awake by 5am. I am making use of being up early though and heading to the supermarket for Christmas food supplies as soon as it opens. I can't deal with hordes of people at all right now. Will still need to grab a couple things nearer Monday but will get the worst of it out the way today.

My scale bounce is a bit up today but I did weigh in a much shorter period of sleep which always makes it higher so not worried.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    My new bling arrived!! I has Fitbit on my wrist again!!!! It makes the actual device bit seem really, really huge. Haven't heard from the store yet about the official replacement. Hopefully that happens by Friday morning, because I so don't want to go near the shopping centre on the weekend.

iy4qfjzv4cwj.jpg

Ah so pretty. I have so many issues with straps, which is much better now that my watch takes standard watch straps. I get an intense dermatitis/allergic reaction to anything that isn't completely breathable. So silicon straps are a no, leather straps are a no. I have settled on milanese stainless steel for the last couple and will keep an eye out for something more exciting.

And I went to a mall yesterday. Hated life and everyone in it, spent at least 20 minutes just trying to find a parking space. Hence chocolate reward. And then it was so draining mentally on top of already ridiculous levels of fatigue that I fell asleep really early but then was really restless so awake by 5am. I am making use of being up early though and heading to the supermarket for Christmas food supplies as soon as it opens. I can't deal with hordes of people at all right now. Will still need to grab a couple things nearer Monday but will get the worst of it out the way today.

My scale bounce is a bit up today but I did weigh in a much shorter period of sleep which always makes it higher so not worried.

I am honestly amazed that I haven't reacted to the silicone strap at all, though I do wear it a bit loose so maybe that's it. This one is stainless steel. I had to take out the whole chain link section for it to fit my wrist. It is cheap bling, but very pretty and shiny and sparkly :) Also sees good and sturdy.

I need to make a proper list for Christmas food supplies. So far I pretty much just have chocolates :tongue: (but three varieties - chocolate orange, the cherry liqueurs and some dark choc scorched almonds). I think other than cheeses most other stuff will be bought fresh at market on Saturday morning (and I will be going early this week!!). Oh and wine. Need to make a list...run it by niece, see what I can get her to buy...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I tried the strap looser. I tried giving it time. I applied steroid cream religiously. All no cigar. My first strap I adjusted to and then when I switched watches I was totally fine for a while. And then boom, skin flared up and never liked silicon or leather again!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I tried the strap looser. I tried giving it time. I applied steroid cream religiously. All no cigar. My first strap I adjusted to and then when I switched watches I was totally fine for a while. And then boom, skin flared up and never liked silicon or leather again!

Well, it seems to be mostly nature that I'm allergic to, so maybe that's it. What's the bet I react to the pretty stainless steel? I have actually reacted to the back of watches before, but I don't think ever the strap.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options

lol - I must be very dense because I'm still not exactly sure which version of "woo" they are referring to with the little face. But that's probably because I can't really make out what the face's expression is. At least I understand the hug!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

Carbon monoxide, smoke etc. detectors aren't expensive, best get one!