Options

Replies

• Shabawan
    Shabawan Posts: 37
    Options
    I would love to do that
  • AakifahSiebert
    Options
    Salaam sis...I came across this article and thought it might be motivational for my sisters in Islam:

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/07/31/3048991/muslim-women-work-out-religiously.html
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I would love to do that

do what ? :)

Yes i think HRM is the best purchase i had.. ( after my rug doctor machine hheh )

Sisters - use the " break from fasting time /TOM " - wisely.. speed up your cardio .. increase it.. sweat , burn :)
    My goal for this month is to stay focused not to get destructed bc it's ramadan.. keep working out no matter how, log my food without interruption , make healthy choices- if possible lose weight usually i gain a little bit. My trainer wants me to lose 15 lbs .. i never lost that much in one month.. but she says you lost 8 lbs in one week andyou never thought you could do THAT .. so start believing ! She is right... there's moments when i 'm thankfull to her and moments when i don't like her :)

dexter- that's called dedication- control, discipline WTG

we have a mosque here and all people from my country go there- they have daily iftar in that mosque and they order the food from a local restaurant.. .meaning- fresh made bread - still warm when ariving- , fresh made cakes, fresh made - everything ! and the choices are .. never ending.. about 200-300 ppl come every night.. and each night diff. families pay for the food , so almost nobody eats at home here.. why would they go through the trouble of cooking etc - when there they get food better than home- it's all food from our country.
    Well my family went last night . I stayed home- all alone. Eating my tilapia and tomatoes, whole wheat tortila. For dessert Watermelon. It was sad, almost depressing. There were moments where i tought you are stupid you should have went with them .. but now after it has passed and my kids that usually have to be chased to eat something- even while fasting- came home last night with tummy aches " ooooh we ate so much.. the foood was sooooo good " so if that's the case for my kids that i have to spank to make them eat .. ( not really but i feel like doing it almost every day ) .. what w ould have happened if i went. ? Most of the food i grew up on .. i love it , it reminds of home and parents.. and i didn't have it probably in a year ( since last ramadan ) .. So i made the sacrifice and stayed home. It all depends " how bad do you want this " .. i have a goal. I have a plan. Two months ago i have decided after ramadan - i will sign up for the personal training school. I want to be a muslim personal trainer . We don't have any in my area- and so many sisters can't afford training sessions, or don't know where to start, so many can't go to the gym bc they have 3-5 small kids etc.. So my goal is to " pay it forward " i want to be a personal trainer first - because i have to workout fo r the rest of my life, it's just the way it is.. and second i want to make it my job as well. I love doing it. All women at the gym kept telling me that i'm great at it .. ( even now without a certifiate i train women here and there ) my trainers told me that i'm " born for it " .. yes i'm 250 lbs .. and that was the reason why i never expressed this wish out loud, not even to my h usband , i was even to embarassed to go to a school and ask for information- i thought people would laugh at me .. a personal trainer ? look at yourself ! .. But my trainers- told me that they all started with too much weight, they even showed me pictures. And that's when it made a click.

I'm a medical assistant -but i haven't worked more than 2 1/2 years. I told my husand i don't want to go back to work until i know " what i want to do " i don't want to work 8-5 just for a pay chek and not be happy with what i'm doing. I want to know what is my mission, why am i here. What am i really supposed to do. I want to work but not feel like i'm workig. Until i find " what that is i'm not going back to work. It took me 2 years .. and all my life ( including those 2 years )i have been reading every book that was on the market .. about training, nutrition , obesety, self help etc.. it was right there in my face.. but i was to scared even to think about it. For years i have been motivating others.. ( on other web site ) i just loved doing it .. but like i said i was not brave enough to even think something like that. It was som ething " i might want to do when i'm at perfect weight " so my life was on hold .. all this time.. i was waiting to live my life till i get to my goal. All this y ears .. i was " on hold "
    Than a very educated friend of mine sat down with me and said.. " what would you do if you were at - whatever you call perfect weight ?
    That' was when i first time said it out loud. I would be a peronal trainer, I would help others with my life long struggle experience, i would be affordable for people just like myself.. i know how hard it is to be struggling with weight and not beeing able to afford help. I want to change that. I'm not in it for money- i don't care how much i would make.. i want to make other women feel supported , not allone- like i was myself- - for many years.
    Than she said.
    What is holding you from living your life now ? Why don't you live it now ' as if you were at that weight ? " Why can't you do all that NOW ?
    NOW ? do you see me ?
    yes. but you would be a proof to them.. you are doing it.. it can be don e.. you would be losing weight while helping others.
    it took me few days to " digest it "
    but than i started believing in it..and talked to my husband , all he said is- go for it. I know you love that exercise-diet stuff that's all you talk about since i have known you .. do it.
    So - my eid gift .. to myself - is the school payment. It's not cheap but i have saved the money and put it on the side .

I'm scared, anxious, ..excited, confused, sometimes i doubt myself.. will i go through this and not have any clients, what if i pay all this money and still don 't manage to lose the weight.. what good is the certificate than ? ..
    but .. i don't want to keep living a life doubting and " if" and what would be " if .. no..i will do WHAT is in MY power, the success i will leave up to HIM.

phew.. i never planed to shar this with you all :) .. don't know how i even started it.. but .. it 's out now.. hope i didn't kill you all with my life story
  • Hayaa79
    Hayaa79 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I would love to do that

do what ? :)

Yes i think HRM is the best purchase i had.. ( after my rug doctor machine hheh )

Sisters - use the " break from fasting time /TOM " - wisely.. speed up your cardio .. increase it.. sweat , burn :)
    My goal for this month is to stay focused not to get destructed bc it's ramadan.. keep working out no matter how, log my food without interruption , make healthy choices- if possible lose weight usually i gain a little bit. My trainer wants me to lose 15 lbs .. i never lost that much in one month.. but she says you lost 8 lbs in one week andyou never thought you could do THAT .. so start believing ! She is right... there's moments when i 'm thankfull to her and moments when i don't like her :)

dexter- that's called dedication- control, discipline WTG

we have a mosque here and all people from my country go there- they have daily iftar in that mosque and they order the food from a local restaurant.. .meaning- fresh made bread - still warm when ariving- , fresh made cakes, fresh made - everything ! and the choices are .. never ending.. about 200-300 ppl come every night.. and each night diff. families pay for the food , so almost nobody eats at home here.. why would they go through the trouble of cooking etc - when there they get food better than home- it's all food from our country.
    Well my family went last night . I stayed home- all alone. Eating my tilapia and tomatoes, whole wheat tortila. For dessert Watermelon. It was sad, almost depressing. There were moments where i tought you are stupid you should have went with them .. but now after it has passed and my kids that usually have to be chased to eat something- even while fasting- came home last night with tummy aches " ooooh we ate so much.. the foood was sooooo good " so if that's the case for my kids that i have to spank to make them eat .. ( not really but i feel like doing it almost every day ) .. what w ould have happened if i went. ? Most of the food i grew up on .. i love it , it reminds of home and parents.. and i didn't have it probably in a year ( since last ramadan ) .. So i made the sacrifice and stayed home. It all depends " how bad do you want this " .. i have a goal. I have a plan. Two months ago i have decided after ramadan - i will sign up for the personal training school. I want to be a muslim personal trainer . We don't have any in my area- and so many sisters can't afford training sessions, or don't know where to start, so many can't go to the gym bc they have 3-5 small kids etc.. So my goal is to " pay it forward " i want to be a personal trainer first - because i have to workout fo r the rest of my life, it's just the way it is.. and second i want to make it my job as well. I love doing it. All women at the gym kept telling me that i'm great at it .. ( even now without a certifiate i train women here and there ) my trainers told me that i'm " born for it " .. yes i'm 250 lbs .. and that was the reason why i never expressed this wish out loud, not even to my h usband , i was even to embarassed to go to a school and ask for information- i thought people would laugh at me .. a personal trainer ? look at yourself ! .. But my trainers- told me that they all started with too much weight, they even showed me pictures. And that's when it made a click.

I'm a medical assistant -but i haven't worked more than 2 1/2 years. I told my husand i don't want to go back to work until i know " what i want to do " i don't want to work 8-5 just for a pay chek and not be happy with what i'm doing. I want to know what is my mission, why am i here. What am i really supposed to do. I want to work but not feel like i'm workig. Until i find " what that is i'm not going back to work. It took me 2 years .. and all my life ( including those 2 years )i have been reading every book that was on the market .. about training, nutrition , obesety, self help etc.. it was right there in my face.. but i was to scared even to think about it. For years i have been motivating others.. ( on other web site ) i just loved doing it .. but like i said i was not brave enough to even think something like that. It was som ething " i might want to do when i'm at perfect weight " so my life was on hold .. all this time.. i was waiting to live my life till i get to my goal. All this y ears .. i was " on hold "
    Than a very educated friend of mine sat down with me and said.. " what would you do if you were at - whatever you call perfect weight ?
    That' was when i first time said it out loud. I would be a peronal trainer, I would help others with my life long struggle experience, i would be affordable for people just like myself.. i know how hard it is to be struggling with weight and not beeing able to afford help. I want to change that. I'm not in it for money- i don't care how much i would make.. i want to make other women feel supported , not allone- like i was myself- - for many years.
    Than she said.
    What is holding you from living your life now ? Why don't you live it now ' as if you were at that weight ? " Why can't you do all that NOW ?
    NOW ? do you see me ?
    yes. but you would be a proof to them.. you are doing it.. it can be don e.. you would be losing weight while helping others.
    it took me few days to " digest it "
    but than i started believing in it..and talked to my husband , all he said is- go for it. I know you love that exercise-diet stuff that's all you talk about since i have known you .. do it.
    So - my eid gift .. to myself - is the school payment. It's not cheap but i have saved the money and put it on the side .

I'm scared, anxious, ..excited, confused, sometimes i doubt myself.. will i go through this and not have any clients, what if i pay all this money and still don 't manage to lose the weight.. what good is the certificate than ? ..
    but .. i don't want to keep living a life doubting and " if" and what would be " if .. no..i will do WHAT is in MY power, the success i will leave up to HIM.

phew.. i never planed to shar this with you all :) .. don't know how i even started it.. but .. it 's out now.. hope i didn't kill you all with my life story

Oh that's such a wonderful Idea GO FOR IT!!! I am sure U will excel in this field really

Try to do some BTS certifications too

U know I went thru the same - I thought how could a person obese like me could be a trainer but then I was & my gym members loved me Though i got some Frowns but who cares anyway, I lost weight plus they never wanted to let go off me but sadly, I had to shift to another city
    but the crux is just go for it - GOOD LUCK:flowerforyou:
  • AakifahSiebert
    Options
    Sister Bosanka...GO FOR IT!!! I think it's a wonderful idea, and I think you would be great!! :)

You actually made me reconsider an idea I had....so, I have a question...I need your (everyone's) opinions on something, insh'Allah.

There is a local female football team and tryouts start Sept 18th. I love football, but never really played it, aside from just a few friends passing the ball around. I've had friends tell me last year that I should try out but I didn't 'cuz of a medication I was on at the time (a blood thinner). I'm no longer on the meds, and am very interested in possibly trying out for the team. The majority of the other players are in their 30's (like me) and are full-time moms or work full-time, and often their knowledge of football before trying out is none. The women are all sizes as well, so it's not just for skinny girls. lol So, basically, I'd fit right in (age, weight, experience level). Do you think I should give it a try?? (I will make istikhara on it after TOM...but just looking for feedback). I figure it'd be a great way to stay motivated and get in shape.
  • hunny73
    hunny73 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Go for it Bosanka!! Your personal training skills are already apparent from this thread. I'm sure you'll make a great personal trainer IA.
  • hunny73
    hunny73 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sister Aakifah "GO FOR IT!!" What's stopping you now? You will never know until you try it.
  • dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Salam
    Sis bosanka u should definately go 4 it n i think this dedication will make u go through it swiftly and in the end there r no negative aspects you will not lose anything except weight

Sis aakifah it's a game losing with fun is double fun. Have fun go ahead

It's not the place but... my life is also on hold too but I don't have support from my family no matter I demand it with love or say it with anger things r not going to change so in a way I have surrendered. I have grown up with a dream of a pursuing a successful career but all I end up is stay at home just doing nothing just coz my husband n his family don't like it. I don't have kids is in the hands of Allah but this is not fair knowing that I have strong character I do hijab n I shall never ignore home...I was watching my diet since childhood but my weight was yo-yo within 3 kgs (67-70) for years but after my marriage I have gone from 68 to 62(my thyroid gone mad) and then 74 n when I touched 76 I joined here...
  • concealedpearl
    Options
    Bosanka go for it...if it is your dream and passion then don't waste time thinking about it.

Sr Aakifah you are brave, football sounds scary to me. But if you love it and enjoy it then DO IT, and you'll be burning mad calories too so more of a reason to go for it.

Dexters may Allah make it easy for you and may He bless you with what is best for you.
  • AakifahSiebert
    Options

Dexters may Allah make it easy for you and may He bless you with what is best for you.

Ameen.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. :happy: I am gonna talk to my intended about it and I'm gonna make istikhara on it. I'll keep you all updated on if I do try out for it.

Today was a not-so-good day. My eating was bad...and I didn't exercise either 'cuz my lower back is in a lot of pain today. Insh'Allah, tomorrow is a new day, and I'll get back on track.
  • bosanka
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragment-it is really importont to me to know that other people support me. Sister Aakifah- i believe in doing what you have passion for. As long as it is not " clearly haram " in the religion- you should not live your life with the " should i mentality " .. Maybe you can tell my personality a little bit allready.. but i'm kind of a person where everyboyd asks " why " i ask " why not ? " :) where most sisters stop- i go. I don't like to be told what to do or not to do. May God forgive me if i'm making something wrong when i say this... but i think if anyone ever forced me to wear headcover i would do anything in my power not to wear it. But because everyone was against it - i fought for it , the more they were against it the more i wanted it. And my whole life i have lived like that- very very stubborn .. sometims it's good sometimes it's not.. but you can't choose your personality , and i have given up in trying to " change " the way i'm.. I'm going the best me i can be- because everyone else is already taken.. i have no other choice can't be anybody else. and why should i ?
    So sister.. if it is ok - and you know the situation best- if it's female only etc- why not ?

I was into sports since i can remember.. i was playing all type of sports , in the school i was participating- and winning in swimming competitions, table tennis, running short and long distances, soccer- and on top of that i was a member at a gym - at the age of 13 ! i would jog to the gym, workout for 1 -2 hours and jog back home ( few miles back and forth )

than i started wearing hijab at age of 16 .. and didn't know much about religion.. but my thought was " i have to stop all of it.. it's not ok for me to be into sports with hijab " ..
    big mistake.
    Now i'm fixing the years of wrong life style..

I feel sad when i see the young generation of girls beeing so overweight.. in their 14-15 years they have as much weight as i have in my 30ths.. hijab should not be a limitation. Yes - we have to follow rules- but there are ways to stay active - and per religion we need to stay active and watch our health and weight.. most people /sisters have the wrong idea if they are wearing the headcover and long wide jilbabs.. they can " grow " as much as can fit under that dress. " Who is going to see me ? " .. like you should watch your diet only if you are intending to pose for a magazine or for the guys on the street, but since you are married and/or covered. you can let yourself go .
    This is a wide spread problem among our girls /women. And we need to start changing this. First change ourself- than our friends etc. Well we can't change anyone- but we can be the change we want to see in others. They will follow by example.

Anyways- i hope this " swaying from the topic " is not bothering the rest of our group :)

My day was not the best today either. I was invited by a family for iftar - and since it is a personal invitation it would be very rude to say no .. they allready prepared all of it and were expecting us to say yes.. we went. and you all know how it is when you are invited for iftar. Everyone is trying to put the best meals on the table. I filled my plate with a lot of cabbage salad and other fresh salad, had a piece of white chicken meat.. but than had some other few things that i don'w know the kcls for , and topped it with a piece of cake.
    So- we all will have one of this days.. but no reason to continue messing up. Today is done.. it is what it is. Let's try not to repeat it any time soon. And i want to say i'm not " stuffed " .. but still had things that i usually don't have- like cake.

Oh.. did i say .. today i passed out.. i think i had something like almost a heat stroke or heat wave.. don't know what happened but i just checked out and couldn't get back up , husband did all he could gave me an ice pack i was burning up .. my heart rate was so high that i thought my head and chest are going to explode.. tried hard not to vomit.. thank God i was able to continue without breaking the fast.. but the heat here in phx is really getting to me. In the car it showed it was 170 F .. when we got into it.. so i think in the time till it got cooled off- i passed out for some reason.
    so- lesson- i'm not going outside unless i really have to. I almost ended in the ER today.. so- stay in the house .
  • Hayaa79
    Options
    OH take care of urself Sis Bosanka! I think U r overdoing

Hey Dexter = dont feel so low there's so much u can do by staying at home esp when u hav the Internet :D
    Lets talk abt it in detail later

& always remember Every1's blessed, look at ppl who have less than U - who r just trying to survive for the sake of survival :)
  • theseagull
    theseagull Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Why do I feel it's hard to control my self in eating different kinds of food ?? ..
    I feel full quickly .. positive point .. but I couldn't control my self to avoid fried bites some days !!

The result: I'm losing weight very very slow !! 105 days with onlt 4 kgs lost !
  • dexters_dexterity
    Options
    this post is really going good after ramadan we will start "Get Fit by Eid ul Adha "

:)
  • AakifahSiebert
    Options
    Oh no sis Bosanka....be careful! I'm glad your husband was taking care of you.

Dexter....haha...great idea, insh'Allah! :)
  • Hayaa79
    Options
    Why do I feel it's hard to control my self in eating different kinds of food ?? ..
    I feel full quickly .. positive point .. but I couldn't control my self to avoid fried bites some days !!

The result: I'm losing weight very very slow !! 105 days with onlt 4 kgs lost !

Good atleast U r losing I am gaining:sad:
  • Hayaa79
    Options
    Any1 heard abt British Slimming Clinic???:bigsmile:
  • dexters_dexterity
    Options
    Hey hayaa tell us about your experience as gym instructor
    How did u start and what did u learn and how it affected your weight loss journey?

Too many questions, sounds like an interview, I think u must be feeling like a celebrity
  • bosanka
    Options
    Hey hayaa tell us about your experience as gym instructor
    How did u start and what did u learn and how it affected your weight loss journey?

Too many questions, sounds like an interview, I think u must be feeling like a celebrity

uhm.. what'd i miss ? it looks like i missed something ? gym instructor ? who ? where ? how come i didn't know that before ? :))

common.. start talking.. i mean .. typing :)
  • babychoose
    babychoose Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Assalamualaikum everyone!

I volunteered myself before August that I'll do the 114miles challenge. I am currently doing it but I didn't provide any update on it.:tongue: So until now alhamdulillah, I have managed to finish 22 miles.:happy: (I think you can see my ticker down there). And about food, well, my food is mostly the same. I have this bad habit of sticking to one type of food. I don't really like changes, haha. I feel guilty if I change a lot, I feel like I'm a big fat greedy person who's having all those luxuries that most people in this world don't get it. :cry:

So, urm, I don't know what to write else. But yes, I will try to post in this topic 2 or 3 times a week to let you guys know about my progress. Happy fasting everyone! :flowerforyou: