WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good eve.Looks like we ‘ll have bad weather starting tomorrow. Was 60* today. Went grocery shopping. & was done with groceries put away by 10am.Of course,as my family says”Mom could go a yr without running out of food”......"so we are all set,storm or not.
    Someone mentioned MyChart on line. We have that too,tho we usually get our info from the Dr.

Seems like a lot of ppl have family in the service & things get dicey if the Mom is also deployed.Not everyone has family able to help,especially with pp still employed. Sounds very complicated.

When I started on MFP,you could have your user name & location on posts. Now we have to put it on each time?

CHERI,sorry to hear about your dog.Our last one was 14 & it was hard to get thru.

After many hours & many calls on the ph,insur clerk said she would call back in 10 days to let us know if they would or would not pay bill for DH ‘s hospital room when he had surgery.What a waste of time & energy.
    When she called,he saw her name & had all his info in front if him when he answered.She asked if he remembered her & when he replied “yes,Mary”,she was so surprised.....but he is great at record keeping.
    They did pay,but what a lonnng process.Oh,well....done & over.

JOYCE,hope Dr can help your sleeping problem.Sounds like you are using several sleep meds ..... does the Dr know?

Our only Grdaughter & BF will be relocating from Fl to NC. They are so happy! Her parents did the same.Will be hrs a couple hrs from them,also much closer to Charleston,SC.......where he is originally from.

We had 2 days of no meal meals.Wasn’t planned,just how it worked out. Fresh green beans with onions & yukon gold potatoes.So yummy! A small veggie tray to go with.I even had a pat of butter on my yukons....
    So good......had the left overs today.

Time to read in bed. Nice to see new posters & hello to all.

Pat in Ohio
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.49min, 142mhr, 11.3amph. 1.4mi= 89c
    apple watch- 62c
    SKI MACHINE- 20min, 112ahr, lvl5, hill program, 125mhr, .98mi= 126c
    Apple watch- 116c
    0 RUNNER- 15min, 134mhr, 55al, 14ah, 110ac, 121mhr, 10.03min mi, lvl7, 1.49mi= 103c
    apple watch- 90c
    TRX - 8min, 3sets of 10ea, 3 diff exercises, 101mhr= 32c
    apple watch- 48c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.06min, 14.5amph, 128mhr, 1.4mi= 52c
    apple watch- 47c
    RIDE BIKE PUY 2 SUMN STA- 17.06min, 145mhr, 10.7amph, 3mi= 145c
    apple watch- 111c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.04min, 149mhr, 9.27min mi, .5mi= 77c
    apple watch- 61c
    jog wk 2 sta- 4.36min, 10.08min mi, 16mhr, .4mi= 79c
    Apple Watch- 61c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 21.20min, 7.4amp, 149mhr, 2.6mi= 207c
    apple watch- 139c

total cal 910
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Machka, if you have a Calculus question, I can possibly answer it. I’ve had lots of graduate level stats, but I’ve forgotten way more of it than I’ve retained. But my Calculus, I remember. Edited to add: my stat classes in grad school used SPSS, and I’ve forgotten a lot of that, too. I can do basic stuff with a graphing calculator, but that’s probably not of much help to you.

Thanks ... it's more general concepts. We don't have to do the math because R does that for us but it might be helpful to know what's going on in the background.

M
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    katla - so glad you found someone!

One of our DVDs will also play videotapes. It can convert videotapes to DVD's

M - MFP takes me near my post which is why I've started poting more frequently, so that any time I make another post I can check that that's where I left off

Sorry if I miss anyone. Have to skim right now. I've been feeling real bad, I was so cold that I couldn't get warm. I think I was running a low grade fever. I was so tired it wasn't funny. And right before dinner I had this terrible pain in my stomach. Fortunately, it only happened once. I think it might have been because I hadn't eaten. I did take two Tylenol and now I feel better. Some things I didn't tell Vince about. I feel better now, not 100%. But he's the kind who would say "you shouldn't go to exercise, you should rest". I feel that as long as I feel OK, getting exercise is the best thing. I'd just take it low.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :)Michele, I'm just like you. I don't tell Jake anything about any pain or ill because he'll say that I walk too much.

:) Stats for today:
    *18,000 steps
    *150 minutes walking Sasha and Bessie
    *150 minutes riding the exercise bike
    * line dance class
    *lots of chores

:) Jake is safely in his hotel room in Seattle getting rested before the procedure on his back tomorrow morning. I miss him a lot, but I sure got a lot done this afternoon with the house to myself.

<3 Barbie
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Machka, if you have a Calculus question, I can possibly answer it. I’ve had lots of graduate level stats, but I’ve forgotten way more of it than I’ve retained. But my Calculus, I remember. Edited to add: my stat classes in grad school used SPSS, and I’ve forgotten a lot of that, too. I can do basic stuff with a graphing calculator, but that’s probably not of much help to you.

Thanks ... it's more general concepts. We don't have to do the math because R does that for us but it might be helpful to know what's going on in the background.

M

Well, if you have a specific question, you can ask. At best, I can answer it. At worst, I can’t. Lol.

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm surprised no one hasn't said anything about bookmarking to the ones asking about how to find their last post. When you look at the top of the page, there is the list of page numbers. Just a little bit over and above it is a star. Click on that star and it will turn gold or yellow. Then each time you log on, go yo the area that has this along number that I assume is the number of posts. There is a dark star there. Click on that and it will show you your bookmarked pages. It will say January 2018. Click on that and your post should be righ above the post that s showing.

Got a sore throat today. It has been mild for several days. Had it on my mental list to tell the doctor yesterday and I forgot. Note to self. Do not depend on mental list, write it down. But tomorrow I may not recognize my voice.

Cathy, you look fantastic. You look so much younger and happier. Congrats.

Well tomorrow our big storm starts. It will start with freezing rain and then gradually turn to snow. Our predictions in .25 inches of ice and 3-5 inches of snow. I have a doctors appointment at 1:45. I know it would be best to cancel it because of the road conditions but maybe this cardiologist can give some input in my hi B/P. The office is only a couple of miles from here.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Machka9
    edited January 2018
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one hasn't said anything about bookmarking to the ones asking about how to find their last post. When you look at the top of the page, there is the list of page numbers. Just a little bit over and above it is a star. Click on that star and it will turn gold or yellow. Then each time you log on, go yo the area that has this along number that I assume is the number of posts. There is a dark star there. Click on that and it will show you your bookmarked pages. It will say January 2018. Click on that and your post should be righ above the post that s showing.

It was discussed earlier in this thread in quite a bit of detail, but maybe that's when you were "out of action". :)

Anyway, this is what Joyce is talking about:

2r8jdt5lds8o.png

• Machka9
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Happy Thursday!

Machka - you mentioned you have asked for a bone density scan and your docs say you are too young. That type of thinking frustrates me. Did they never hear of a baseline? And that test is so simple! Up on the table, a couple quick zaps with very low X-rays, the computer reads it and spits out a report. I'd keep inquiring about it, if you have any older relatives with broken bones perhaps that would speed it up for you.

Insurance companies here in the US have a list of preventative tests they recommend and often pay for. I think they need to add Vitamin D if they haven't already, especially for those of us who live in areas that don't get a lot of sun. By some stroke of luck I happened onto an OB/GYN about 15-20 years ago who was getting into Functional Medicine and as part of my yearly exam, did the Vitamin blood tests - they can be expensive and insurance didn't pay, but she had a good deal with a lab. I came back low on Vitamin D and B12 and have been taking 5000 IU of D3 ever since plus B12 supplements.

Now to be fair, the first time I asked about it, I was in my early 40s and had gone to a university Doctor. She hadn't looked closely at my file and at some point during the conversation she indicated that she thought I was in my 20s like most of the rest of the students. She wasn't my regular Dr, so I didn't pursue it. But the others have told me that since I'm fit and active and only perimenopausal, they can't be bothered sending me.

Maybe now that I'm 50, I might try again.

The last several times I've gone for bloodwork (about every 8 or 9 months or so), they've done a full panel including all my vitamins and minerals. I'm all good! Right in the middle of the "good" range for everything. It seems to me I've had to pay for one of those full panels ... something like $125 or so ... and that was because I requested it because I wanted to check my electrolyte levels.

However, that said, I take a lot of vitamins and minerals. Sometimes I wonder if I take too much, but when my tests come back like that, I guess it's OK. :)

And speaking of electrolytes, I started all this running but hadn't been taking electrolyte supplements. I take them before and during long, hot bicycle rides but hadn't thought about taking them before or after running. Then just lately my anklebones have been disappearing in the evenings and I've been feeling bloated. It took a couple days before it finally hit me ... take an electrolyte already! I did, and much better. :)

Machka in Oz
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Heather - I too do a shuffle/step when I run, with shorter steps, to keep my knees from taking too much impact. Here are a few on my running list right now that might suit your stride.
    • Titanium (Feat. Sia) - David Guetta
    • Burning House - Cam
    • Ex's & Oh's - Elle King
    • Walking on Broken Glass - Annie Lennox
    • Try - Colbie Caillat
    • Dulaman - Celtic Woman
    • I Gotta Feeling - The Black Eyed Peas
    • Dark Horse (Feat. Juicy J) - Katy Perry
    Later, y'all,
    Lisa in North Carolina
  • Machka9
    Options
    llorenz06 wrote: »
    Hello! I am new to this, so I'm a little unsure of how to post. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes on 10/30/17. I was put on metformin and told to do a low carb diet. So far, I have lost 34.5 pounds and have brought my glucose level to 91. I am 56 years old and have been overweight for years, now weighing 272.5 at 5'3". I also have hbp and fibromyalgia. My hbp is managed with medication as well as my fibro. I just yesterday started walking again, for 15 minutes.
    I am interested in chatting with you about recipes, diabetes, and weight loss. I'm even interested in chatting in general! :blush:
    My mantra is:
    Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. Just breathe, and have faith that everything will work out for the best.
    Hope it can help you in some way as well.
    Happy Tuesday evening!

Welcome here! Just leap in and start posting! :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    sjcook23 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Sharron (from Washington DC area - Northern VA)

I've been gone from mfp for awhile. My gym has an APB out for me. I'm 53 (soon to be 54). I've got 50 lbs to lose. I bowl. I'm a youth leader in my church. I play keyboard for the youth band (which is awesome that I can do this in my old age). Looking for more mfp friends for encouragement.

I'm toying with the idea of hiking the Appalachian trail 2193 miles. Am I a hiker? No Do I have bad knees? yes
    I'll probably do a section hike through the Virginia part this Spring or Fall to either solidify or dismiss this urging.

One step at a time!

What's up with your knees? I presume you've had them checked. Mine are a bit dodgy too for various reasons.

Anyway, if you can, just start walking. A number of years ago, I started walking as part of my commute and to do errands etc. It wasn't long before I was doing 2 km/day 5 days a week ... and it has just increased from there.

Also, if the hike is hilly, I'd recommend climbing stairs ... real stairs. Just be sure that when you do, you position yourself square to the stairs. I do quite a bit of stair climbing and can run into problems if I'm doing them quickly and I'm flying around the landings and hitting the first few stairs of the next flight at an angle. I have to slow down a bit, deliberately walk the landing, square myself, and climb the next flight.

Start with 2 or 3 flights and build up slowly from there.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Calories Thanks for the encouragement. I did do well last year and the diet and exercise have paid off. But seeing a maintenance calorie allowance of 1250 just made me feel like I have a chronic illness that to keep under control will take many hours of unpleasant exercise a week and a strictly curbed diet. Forever. Not a happy making realization.

I do understand.

"They" say that the recommended calorie intake for women is something like 2000 calories. So when I hit maintenance, I was all excited to up my calorie intake to 2000 ... but then discovered that if I were to do that, I'd gain weight. And in fact, that is how I got to my highest weight. For years, I was eating about 2000-2200, and very, very slowly gaining. :(

BTW - I mentioned stair climbing in a post above. I love walking, hiking, cycling and a bunch of other activities ... but I'm not overly keen on stair climbing. However, it does help me develop my quads and cardiovascular system, and it is a good calorie burner.

I use the formula 30 calories for every 5 20-step flights of stairs. Or 6 calories for each 20-step flight.

So I can hike the 10 flights of stairs in my office building, and burn 60 calories. Do it twice ... and I'm at 120 calories. And it doesn't take long to do that ... I do it on breaks.

M in Oz