Ketogenic diet

Replies

• hillarymouse
    hillarymouse Posts: 69 Member
    Keto is perfect for me. It helps with my PCOS symptoms, makes it so that I can actually lose weight, gives me more energy. Seriously it's like magic for me. But like everyone is saying, it's not for everyone! I do miss carbs and sometimes go above my 20g limit (okay a lot of the time), but even reduced carb helps me feel better and less foggy.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,053 Member
    The best diet is a balanced diet - high protein, moderate fats and carbs. Honestly carbs are the worst group though - please watch "that sugar film" for more details. Your body produces protein and fat so it knows what to with those types of foods. Carbs are a very quick source of energy for your bod - so not good for a sedentary lifestyle.

Uh, your body produces glucose too...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    The best diet is a balanced diet - high protein, moderate fats and carbs. Honestly carbs are the worst group though - please watch "that sugar film" for more details. Your body produces protein and fat so it knows what to with those types of foods. Carbs are a very quick source of energy for your bod - so not good for a sedentary lifestyle.

?????????
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2017

Carbs are not "the worst food group". It's a great macro for various reasons.

Like vegetables.

Really, acting as if all foods that fall within a particular macro are equivalents and as if macros can be ranked according to good or badness probably should be brought over into the woo thread, as it's deeply silly.

And that our bodies don't know how to use carbs? LOL. We can get along without carbs (although not a good choice, IMO, again, because vegetables, among other things), because our body can manufacture them from other macros. We have essential fats and protein, as someone noted upthread.

As for high protein, it seems to me that people don't even have a consistent idea of what this means. To me, around .65-.85 g per lb of a healthy goal weight (when at a deficit, at least) is moderate protein and getting more seems pointless to me, but if it makes someone happy I think it's probably fine. I do see too many people here who seem to think they need something like 1 g per lb of an overweight weight and who seem to be unhappy with their diets as a result.

Anyway, not sure what high protein has to do with keto, since keto isn't supposed to be high protein, but high fat.

And sorry for tagging all this on to your post, amusedmonkey! The first big was agreement, but the rest were just where my thoughts led. ;-)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Carbs are not "the worst food group". It's a great macro for various reasons.

Like vegetables.

Really, acting as if all foods that fall within a particular macro are equivalents and as if macros can be ranked according to good or badness probably should be brought over into the woo thread, as it's deeply silly.

And that our bodies don't know how to use carbs? LOL. We can get along without carbs (although not a good choice, IMO, again, because vegetables, among other things), because our body can manufacture them from other macros. We have essential fats and protein, as someone noted upthread.

As for high protein, it seems to me that people don't even have a consistent idea of what this means. To me, around .65-.85 g per lb of a healthy goal weight (when at a deficit, at least) is moderate protein and getting more seems pointless to me, but if it makes someone happy I think it's probably fine. I do see too many people here who seem to think they need something like 1 g per lb of an overweight weight and who seem to be unhappy with their diets as a result.

Anyway, not sure what high protein has to do with keto, since keto isn't supposed to be high protein, but high fat.

And sorry for tagging all this on to your post, amusedmonkey! The first big was agreement, but the rest were just where my thoughts led. ;-)

No problem, and exactly my thoughts and micros as well. The highest density of them in the most commonly available and eaten foods tends to come attached to carbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    mic1018 wrote: »
    Sad to see so much keto/low carb bashing here.

What are you referring to that you are calling keto/low carb bashing?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    Lol, if your body produced proteins and fats, you wouldn't need to consume them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png