Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do diets work?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

are you asking me to provide with peer reviewed dietary analysis that a bacon western cheeseburger is less healthy than a chicken breast with balsamic salad?

No, people are asking specifically about the context of the overall diet. We are not asking you to compare two specific meals.

We're asking why the person who meets their nutritional needs with a variety of foods including a bacon cheeseburger is better off than the person who is meeting their nutritional needs while excluding bacon cheeseburgers (and, presumably, their components -- beef, bacon, cheese, and bread).

Foods don't exist in a vacuum, they exist in the context of an overall diet. That is what people are asking you about.

Although, a bacon cheeseburger is probably more balanced than a balsamic vinegar salad with chicken breast.

nah
    2 meats and nitrates - lettuce onion ring and BBq sauce (sugar) vs. Chicken breast still lettuce - tomatos - cucumbers - hard boiled eggs vinegar AND 1/2 the calories

Well that's problem number 1. Who wants half the calories? Now I have to eat 2 salads. and you're probably still light on fat and protein

And what sort of criminal puts BBQ sauce on a bacon cheeseburger?

that is one of my many meals and I need the nutrition and don't want empty calories of breading bun sugar in the sauces - LOL BBQ - Carls Jr does

What if I don't want to eat many meals each day? What if I prefer to have fewer meals with more calories?

I eat bread sometimes and I notice that it's never empty calories. When I eat bread, I'm getting carbohydrates. My body uses those for energy. It's also typically rich in B vitamins.

I'm not a big fan of BBQ sauce on non-BBQ sandwiches, but when I eat it it's typically in small portions so the sugar isn't a concern.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    The word "diet" in the OP was used not as a lifestyle long term change but rather as a short term goal reaching event - Hey Im going on a diet for the next 12 weeks type of thing

More assumptions...