Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do diets work?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »

well according to you I can eat Oreos and Big macs all day and be just fine so why monitor the macros?
    Alright people - you fill yourselves with Cheeseburgers and i will fill my self with chicken breast and salad and we will see which one makes it to the top of the mountain first - my god its not rocket science

You honestly think that this is what posters are saying....honestly?

I would really like an answer to this question, because quite obviously that is not what people have said.
    Oh...I don't know if I'd advocate chicken breast and salad pre-endurance event.....where's the carbs? I usually go for some pasta of some sort before endurance events.

I'd also agree that this is NOT what I'd consider a great pre endurance meal. Add some potatoes or sweet potatoes or pasta, sure!

Also curious what's in this 100 g of sugar burger. Never seen such a thing. Seems inconsistent with the normal ingredients in a burger, but I guess Irishman1970 may have some interesting tastes, dunno.

I stand corrected 50 carbs (most from bun and sauces(sugar) )

Calories (%DV based on daily intake of 2,000 kcal) 1,060 kcal 53%
    Calories from Fat 660 kcal 366.7%
    Kilojoules 4,435 kj
    Pts (by CL, not official Weight Watchers POINTS©; italics if no fiber) 27
    Total Fat (DRI 65 g) 73 g 112.3%
    Saturated Fat (DRI 20 g) 29 g 145%

Protein (DRI 50 g) 46 g 92%

now compare those numbers a healthier alternative - such as chicken breast with lemon and bell peppers

Same amount of protein 200 Calories
    Zero Saturated Fat
    Peppers - 70 calories
    No simple sugars

I can eat FIVE of these servings for 1 burgers and have much better nutrition

I'm not eating meat right now, but here are two meals I had when losing weight (maintenance now).

(1) Chicken breast (I don't really love skinless, boneless chicken breast, so I think it's weird you are so obsessed with it, it's certainly no ideal of non processed, but it can be okay with the right preparation) as part of a pasta sauce also involving olives, pine nuts, cauliflower and asparagus and pasta. A little olive oil.

(2) A burger with a bun, avocado on the burger, plus some onion and mustard, and brussels sprouts and some sauted spinach and cauliflower on the side.

Using 6 oz of meat for both, the chicken has about 204 cal, 4 g of fat, 38 g of protein. The beef (I used 93%) has 255 cal, 12 g of fat, 35 g protein. The sides could easily even out, depending on how much pasta, the particular bun chosen, and how much of everything else. Not exactly a big difference.

The carbs on the burger (not that carbs are bad) come from avocado and onions, and the bun. (I like mustard but not ketchup, that would be the same wherever I got the burger, although when I go out I usually get something that's going to be better/more interesting than the equivalent thing I'd make at home).

And, of course, even if the burger had 50 g of carbs (which a restaurant one might, sure, although many will not, and even the McD Quarter Pounder is more like 40 (I just checked), there's no equivalence between saying a burger has 50 g of carbs vs. 100 g of sugar. You see that, right?
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Mmmmm Chocolate <3
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

that's the point - you don't need 5 servings to get the same nutrition - people will throw burgers into their DIET and then trying to understand why they are not making the same losses or gains as the person eating more nutrient dense food - Chicken - Fish - lean cuts of beef - less sugar more vegetables
    like I said I will crash and burn once in a while and indulge but its NOT part of my plan for fitness - its a deviation - and outlier

The losses and gains are created by the amount of calories that one consumes relative to how much energy one is using. Yeah, some calorie-dense foods like burgers can make it more difficult to meet a specific calorie goal (assuming one is trying to reduce calories), but this can be adjusted for by planning other meals around the higher calorie meal or choosing a lower calorie option (not every burger has to have 1,000+ calories). There are lots of successful people here who are meeting their health, weight, and fitness goals and still having foods like burgers (or pizza or pasta or whatever food you want to believe is so inherently harmful).

Choosing to have a burger (or a cookie or a slice of pizza or a glass of wine) isn't "crashing and burning," it's just life. And in the context of a diet that is meeting your nutritional needs (which is what everyone here is recommending), there's nothing harmful about it.

If someone is a volume eater and wants to have larger servings of lower calorie food, that's perfectly understandable. But not everyone is like that. Some people like smaller servings of more calorie-dense food (or, like many, they mix different types of food).

I legitimately don't understand why someone would care about the strategies that people use to meet the goals of meeting nutritional needs/calorie goals, having satiating meals, and enjoying their lives.

Your strategy may not be my strategy. Why is that a problem?

Its not a problem - the OP asked about diet I told her better to be fit ---- a diet(in the context she was using it) is something you eventually go off of and untimely most like fail - fitness is a lifestyle a diet in her context is not a lifestyle its temporary fix to get her to a short term unsustainable goal without lifestyle changes

So what's wrong with a lifestyle where people are meeting their nutritional needs while eating a variety of foods?

I don't think anyone here is advocating for a temporary "diet" or "fix."

One thing that many people have found to be a sustainable way to live their lives, meet their weight goals, and improve their fitness is to continue eating the foods they enjoy, just in portions that meet their calorie goals. Not everyone wants to eliminate calorie-dense foods or center their meal planning on chicken and bell peppers (no problem for those who enjoy it, but this is a smaller portion of the population, I think).