WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR FEBRUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie for creating this page. I am about to embark on a journey. On Feb. 28 I am having revision surgery from The Sleeve to RNY so my goal this month is to stay on track with my pre-op diet. I am excited but a little concerned about the pain and higher risk of complications. I'd love to hear from anyone who has gone through the revision surgery.

My second goal is to begin walking the hallways of my huge apartment block. I'm recovering from a fall when I tripped on the stairs a few weeks ago but thankfully I am healing thanks to my chiropractor and GP.

I live in Manitoba, Canada so it's cold and icy to walk outside in February. It's best for me to walk indoors for now.
    I am open to making new friends on the site.

Donna
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Welcome here ... I lived in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada for 13 years.

I used to cycle year round to and from work in those conditions! :grin: Fortunately, my commute was only 13.6 km round trip, and on particularly bad days, I'd take the bus.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    DJ - I'm not fighting through the pain to run, I'm not having any pain. I'm not running very far as yet, 28 mins today, plus the warm up and cool down walking, but I really thought I wouldn't be able to run further than the post box. It was my brother and his wife, who are both overweight and have bad knees, who told me that, strangely, they didn't have any pain while running. That encouraged me to at least start the c25k app, on the grounds that, if it didn't work, I hadn't lost anything. My hips still hurt on a hike, I still have to baby my knee, but the running, so far, has gone fine and I absolutely love it. I still do daily knee, foot and ankle exercises and they have made an enormous difference.

Evidently, the additional exercises do make a big difference to being able to run pain free.

I discovered that my right knee doesn't track well. That's largely because of cycling because cycling only works 3 of the 4 quads and so the strength of those 3 quads pulls the knee out of alignment. That's fine when I'm on the bicycle ... I can ride without pain. But when I run, my knee does something weird.

So by the time I got to the 10K run, was starting to have a bit of discomfort. I was recommended to stay off running for a month or 6 weeks until everything settled, and then to start doing weights and lunges and things to build up that 4th quad. And then I can get back into running.

As it happens, I'm focusing more on cycling now anyway, so that works out fine. And at the beginning of March, I'll start doing more weights.

M in Oz

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Won't have time for a workout today and probably won't tomorrow. But I do know that I'll get in a fair amount of steps today. Not so much tomorrow. Well...I won't die.

iamimagine - I've been on here for a few years and in that time I really haven't seen the scale move. Oh, it moves up a pound, then down a pound. But at the end of the day, I've been at the same weight for a few years now. My measurements haven't chaged much, either. But...I do feel good. And that to me means so much. I also find that I tend to jot down on a piece of paper what I had to eat during the day then I log everthing at one time. Usually right before dinner after I've prepared my dinner plate. I also log that food then see where I am. There have been times when to keep under calories I've eliminated one or another thing. I also look to see where most of my calories came from. I find that if I prelog foods, many times I have to change due to circumstances that come up that day.

Mary - I think I asked you this before but I don't remember your answer. Is there a reason why a person couldn't use a weight instead of a kettlebell? I've seen so many DVD's where one of the modifications is to use a dumbell instead of a kettlebell.

Wendy - that's very interesting about Roxy. I may have to ask you for that name again when I get home since I can't really investigate it right now.

Donna - welcome

You know you're in FL when the paper gives not only the pollen index but also the golf index....lol

Better start getting ready to go. I'll go shopping and then meet Vince for the end of the race.

Michele who is off to Daytona
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thank you Barbie for creating this page. I am about to embark on a journey. On Feb. 28 I am having revision surgery from The Sleeve to RNY so my goal this month is to stay on track with my pre-op diet. I am excited but a little concerned about the pain and higher risk of complications. I'd love to hear from anyone who has gone through the revision surgery.

My second goal is to begin walking the hallways of my huge apartment block. I'm recovering from a fall when I tripped on the stairs a few weeks ago but thankfully I am healing thanks to my chiropractor and GP.

I live in Manitoba, Canada so it's cold and icy to walk outside in February. It's best for me to walk indoors for now.
    I am open to making new friends on the site.

Donna
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Donna, there seems to be very few ladies in our group that have had any type of bariatric surgery. Lisa in NC and myself being the only ones I'm aware of. I had RNY just over four years ago and lost 125#, I've had a regain of approximately 20 pounds. At the first of the year I decided to get serious about losing the regain and returned to closely following the post op diet given me by the surgeons dietician. Was surprised to see how far I had strayed. So far I've lost 16# +/- I'm one of those that can bounce up or down 2-3 pounds daily. I don't know of anyone here that has had a revision. You'll have to let us know how that goes.

Welcome and best of luck to you on your journey.

Janetr OKC
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    ⛷⛷
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,402 Member
    Options
    B)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Michele- you can definitely use a dumbbell instead of a Kettlebell at first. As you use heavier I think the your grip might affect muscle development because of how you would have to hold the dumbbell with both hands around the center. It might affect your forearms and shoulders.

<3

Mary from Arizona driving to Sacramento
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,081 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,667 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    pip "boot strapper", don't ask me to explain it, but when I read that I somehow couldn't help thinking of that picture of you and Kirby in LV :)

iamimagine - welcome. Oh, how we all can relate! You'll get lots of support and some ideas, too. We've all BTDT and are continuing.

Michele who is getting ready for the race tomorrow

imagination go free
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    “Lady in the Van” was an interestingly strange movie! I liked it (call me strange!) :p .

Allie you DID NOT let us down! We are worried about you and only want the best.

RV Rita