Less Alcohol - March 2018- One day at a Time

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    OK, I have my boarding pass, so I guess Italy is really happening. I met my goal of packing carry-on only. Yay! My next goal is to enjoy a beautiful country and very moderately taste the wines they are famous for. I wish everyone a successful St. Patrick's Day, whatever your intentions. I know I have Wifi in the places I'm staying so hopefully can check in a time or two. Arrivederci! and thanks for being here. I'm in for a dry April! One of these months I'll make it the whole way through AF.

Arrividerci!

A presto!
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    Beware the gigantic wine glasses! We went to a gallery opening last night and I bought a gorgeous wine glass to benefit a kids' art charity. They filled it about 2/3 of the way full. I was wondering why I woke up in the middle of the night, thirsty and with a headache. This morning, I measured how much it would hold - a pretty shocking 22 oz. So, yes, that "one" glass of wine was a whole lot more like three. No wonder I felt like *kitten* this a.m.

Have wine glasses gotten bigger? I just Googled it and saw this from the British Medical Journal:
    Wine glass capacity increased from 66 ml (2.2 ounces) in the 1700s to 417 ml (14 ounces) in the 2000s, and the mean wine glass size in 2016-17 was 449 ml (15 ounces).

My banquet managers bought new wine glasses and they are absolutely huge. I had a guest tell me to pour his glass full (his words were "pour it like you didn't buy it") so I did several times and I watched him just decline. I felt terrible for him...and I was not even AF! So, yes, beware the big glasses!

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Good heads up @kittybenn! The 2 glasses I had Friday night were certainly not 4 oz. But 22 ounces is cray cray!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    Good heads up @kittybenn! The 2 glasses I had Friday night were certainly not 4 oz. But 22 ounces is cray cray!

Safe travels! Enjoy every second and can't wait to hear the details. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    islandbeez wrote: »
    kittybenn wrote: »
    Beware the gigantic wine glasses! We went to a gallery opening last night and I bought a gorgeous wine glass to benefit a kids' art charity. They filled it about 2/3 of the way full. I was wondering why I woke up in the middle of the night, thirsty and with a headache. This morning, I measured how much it would hold - a pretty shocking 22 oz. So, yes, that "one" glass of wine was a whole lot more like three. No wonder I felt like *kitten* this a.m.

Have wine glasses gotten bigger? I just Googled it and saw this from the British Medical Journal:
    Wine glass capacity increased from 66 ml (2.2 ounces) in the 1700s to 417 ml (14 ounces) in the 2000s, and the mean wine glass size in 2016-17 was 449 ml (15 ounces).

My banquet managers bought new wine glasses and they are absolutely huge. I had a guest tell me to pour his glass full (his words were "pour it like you didn't buy it") so I did several times and I watched him just decline. I felt terrible for him...and I was not even AF! So, yes, beware the big glasses!

It's almost a shame that the manager did that and bought such big glasses. It's like enabling people to drink more because they just don't realize how big the pours are. I know it's a personal choice how much they drink but it seems a little unnecessary to buy huge glasses.

I also saw recently a friend get more and more drunk at a bar I was at. She was talking to me with her face once inch away from mine. She asked me if I stopped drinking. And I started to say "yes, since Jan.1" but I never got that far, because she just started to talk about how she wants to stop drinking to lose weight, etc.

I've notice people start to tell you their story- like a confession after they find out you stopped drinking.
  • xcjumper
    xcjumper Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm so thankful that I now know what *kitten means! Hahaha!
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    xcjumper wrote: »
    I'm so thankful that I now know what *kitten means! Hahaha!

:D ...
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @salleewins There are no words adequate to tell you how your story touched me. I simply cannot say the right words to comfort you. But know that we are here for you with love.

You are so wise and candid in your reflection about your drinking as well. And how it ramped up and how it was critical to change for your daughter.
    Sending you a big hug. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    You are inspiring and strong. Xo
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    salleewins wrote: »
    Thank you that I don't drink on St. Patty's Day. That is one easier one. Good Friday--March 30th will be my next hardest then Easter. April 3rd will be my next hardest after those--the day my son passed. He did pass on Good Friday that year of 2015(I am glad that I did not drink that day), which was April 3rd that year. Then May for Mother's Day and his birthday of May 23rd. I want to be successful this year in my mind.....Help me God. I am glad for this group. It is almost 2 months now dry.

<hugs>
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @salleewins, thank you for sharing your story with us. I hope the support you have here is helpful. @jascinthe64, welcome and thank you, too, for your story. My best friend is now 4 years sober and also struggled with anorexia. She is an accomplished dancer, and I know food issues are part of the picture for many dancers, too. Seeing her blossom and overcome those demons has been very inspiring, and I hope you will have that same kind of liberation.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    These posts are incredibly moving. To those of you that have lost children, I am so sorry and send my love. My late and very wise father used to say, "everyone carries an invisible bucket of tears", meaning we cannot see each other's pain but it is there. I hope this thread is a refuge and comfort to all that come here. It certainly has been for me.

Jen, your right and in some cases, drink has been used as a remedy and other emotional stress.
    That's what makes it really sad. Id luv to be able to help in some way, this is where we can start I guess in this thread..
    My heart goes out to everyone that uses alcohol that way. Its hard to help people if they don't want it too.
    This is where kindness and show love respect to everyone is needed world wide.
    Nobody know what each are going through. Thanks for your beautiful post. :)<3

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Heh! I am down a couple of pounds. 3 days of AF means 3 days of managing my diet correctly.
    The magic happens. Either that or my scale is out of whack.

:D Excellent!