March 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - Glad you're OK! School Drop Off lanes are the bane of modern existence. Seriously, they suck everywhere.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids but a woman I know has two kids in wheelchairs. She has tons of issues dropping them off because people without handicap plates/placard use the handicap spaces "because no one needs it" and "it's faster". This is what she hears when letting them know she needs it & legally they can't use it.

People are just ridiculous.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Our local RCMP issue more tickets to the Parent's dropping off kids for speeding, crosswalk infractions & rolling stops in the school zone than the non-parents.
    I wish that our local police and school department were more proactive. After my fellow teacher was hit they stepped up for about a week and a half and then things returned to the normal dangerous past. My thought is that a parent who doesn't care wouldn't bother to drop of their children, so why aren't they concerned for their saftey?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @ddmom0811 as a fellow teacher I can say school parking lots are very dangerous. We have one of our teachers hit last year and she has been out on diability. I don't understand how people can fail to see that a school drop off zone mean extra caution should be applied. I guess once their passengers are out they no longer give a kitten. [/url]

Our local RCMP issue more tickets to the Parent's dropping off kids for speeding, crosswalk infractions & rolling stops in the school zone than the non-parents.

don't even get me started on mothers in clean 4x4's dropping Little Johnny off at school. The main priority for them is Little Johnny. So they simply STOP where convenient to them, do 3-point turns across busy roads, BLOCK entire roads to let his darlingness out, and generally have absolutely no concept that they might be on a public highway and that there other road users, including other mothers and heaven forbid non-school related traffic.

But they have to drive Little Johnny to school because 'it's too dangerous for him to walk because of all the traffic'.

rant over....
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for March

3/1 8 miles - 8
    3/2 3.1 miles - 11.1
    3/3 12 miles - 23.1
    3/4 REST DAY
    3/5 4 miles - 27.1
    3/6 8 miles - 35.1
    3/7 REST DAY
    3/8 8 miles - 43.1
    3/9 REST DAY
    3/10 10.25 - 53.35
    3/11 REST DAY
    3/12 5.1 - 58.45
    3/13 8 - 66.45
    3/14 REST DAY
    3/15 8 miles - 74.45
    3/16 4 miles - 78.45
    3/17 REST DAY
    3/18 13.1 miles - 91.55
    3/19 REST DAY
    3/20 8.25 miles - 99.8

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18

• Stoshew71
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Question for those of you with Garmins that have Connect IQ...Do you use any of the Widgets? If so, which ones? Do they affect your watch's performance at all?

I have a Garmin 930 so battery and performance is not an issue for me. At least I am not aware of it being an issue. Some widgets are on their by default. I can't remember if some of them I downloaded or were there already. But I have:

Heart Rate
    Performance
    Last Run
    Steps
    My day
    Music Controls
    Calendar
    Notifications
    Weather
    MinuteCast
    MyBattery
    GPSWidget

I also love the find my phone Controls. I have used that quite a few times.
    There is also a save my location control, for those of us that forget where we parked our car.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Sparx_81 wrote: »
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    March 3 – 10.02 miles
    March 4 – 4.00 miles
    March 5 – 5.26 miles
    March 7 – 5.00 miles
    March 9 – 5.00 miles (treadmill)
    March 10 – 10.00 miles
    March 12 – 5.10 slow miles (treadmill)
    March 14 – 1 mile
    March 15 – 3.5 miles

Tonight is Shamrock 4-Miler. I've done this race a couple of times before and it's always festive with everyone decked out in their St. Patty's green.

exercise.png

Irish person here.... Please do not call it st patty's.... It drives us bonkers! St Patrick's day, Paddy's Day but never ever EVER patty... ❤️

How about St. Krabby Patty Day? (followed by a Eugene Krabs laugh)

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    3/1 6.86miles
    3/2 rest
    3/3 10miles
    3/4 rest
    3/5 6.57miles
    3/6 5miles
    3/7 6miles
    3/8 5miles
    3/9 10miles
    3/10 4miles
    3/11 rest
    3/12 4miles
    3/13 5.2miles
    3/14 5.35miles
    3/15 rest
    3/16 3miles
    3/17 rest
    3/18 13.1miles!! Shamrock race!!!
    3/19 rest
    3/20 5.3miles

Since it was raining buckets this morning I decided to run on the treadmill. I picked a program and decided to go for 60 minutes since I wanted to do 5 miles. It was a hilly program and while the pace was slow it kind of kicked my butt! I always run flat surfaces!

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K
    10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I think it warmed up more than expected today and I'm going to be running home carrying my phone, keys and ID because my jacket will be too hot...
  • Stoshew71
    edited March 2018
    Options
    ttelmo wrote: »
    I have some new runner questions if anyone is able to cast her mind back to when she was new to running. Or he. You know what I mean.

1) I wanted to stretch before and after running so I just typed “running stretch” in YouTube and followed the first 2 videos I saw. One was a “pre-run” and the other was post. All of the recommended stretches were for legs, and I did them all. Then I thought, Am I weird if my core is a little tired after running? How do I stretch my core? Does this mean I’m running wrong? Can someone recommend a resource for post run stretching? Kind of embarrassed to be asking this.

2) Sometimes I do 2 treadmill sessions on consecutive days in c25k. I know I’m not supposed to based on the podcast I’m listening to, but I don’t feel sore or tired the next day and it’s when I have time. I don’t run, more like jog at 5.something mph. How bad is it for me not to take a day off in between as a new runner? Nothing bad has happened to me so far but “so far” is just a few weeks.

3) This is not a question but I’m thinking of signing up for a 5k on fivefiftyfifty.com. I guess this organization runs 50 5Ks in 50 states in as many days to raise awareness about mental illness. I thought I’d put it out there since anxiety disorders came up here the other day. I don’t know if I’ll sign up for the one in my state yet. 3 miles still seems pretty far to me.

Regarding stretching... before a run you want to do dynamic stretching and after a run is static stretching. (BTW: don't feel embarrassed about asking "dumb" or "newbie" questions, plenty of people here willing to help. We all been there at one time.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBp7ZJtyVIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgL8GkzpNsw

• Stoshew71
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Catching up on things:

Congrats @PastorVincent on your 1/2 (and your stubbornness in keeping the 5K plans).
    Congrats @MobyCarp and @ctlaws44 on your 8K and so neat you guys got to meet up.
    Congrats @cburke8909 on your 10K.
    Congrats @zdyb23456 on your 1/2 and PR.
    Congrats @abutcher2122 (and PR) and @sarahthes on your races.
    Congrats @polskagirl01 on your snowy 5K and PR.
    Congrats @noblsheep on your HM.

I hope I didn't forget anyone.

Congrats @lporter229 on your back to back 5K and 15K's. And your AG win.
    Congrats @Teresa502 on your 4-miler and AG placement.

(I am adding people as I try and catch up)
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Sparx_81 wrote: »
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    March 3 – 10.02 miles
    March 4 – 4.00 miles
    March 5 – 5.26 miles
    March 7 – 5.00 miles
    March 9 – 5.00 miles (treadmill)
    March 10 – 10.00 miles
    March 12 – 5.10 slow miles (treadmill)
    March 14 – 1 mile
    March 15 – 3.5 miles

Tonight is Shamrock 4-Miler. I've done this race a couple of times before and it's always festive with everyone decked out in their St. Patty's green.

exercise.png

Irish person here.... Please do not call it st patty's.... It drives us bonkers! St Patrick's day, Paddy's Day but never ever EVER patty... ❤️

How about St. Krabby Patty Day? (followed by a Eugene Krabs laugh)

Hmmm.... Not sure... I come out in clod sweat when I hear anything SpongeBob related.... My kids watched way too much of it for way too long... :D:p
  • Stoshew71
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I did not know that static stretching is not the thing to do because I literally had not run a mile since I was forced to in high school more than 20 years ago. Also, I decided that my core is sometimes tired after jogging because it’s easier for me to keep moving if I hold my gut in. I guess I’m not to concerned about it.

As for “running” 2 days in a row, I’m still undecided. I do other more taxing physical stuff on other days that I definitely don’t want to do back to back. I’ll have to play with my schedule or else stretch out c25k to just 2 runs a week instead of 3. I don’t *think* that will cause too much harm.

I can’t believe I’m considering the factors for choosing a first 5k. I don’t think of myself as a runner. In my mind, I’m just a couch potato that moved my tv-watching from the sofa to the treadmill and who swims sometimes.

Your core is tired because that is what should be holding your body up as you are running, and to run with good technique, you need a strong core. You also squeeze your core to engage your glutes (see my earlier post today on that). You don't necessarily stretch them, but you can do exercises to strengthen them. Various plank exercises are great. The basic hold a plank in place for 30 seconds and build up longer is great to start with. Then combine leg raises and hip twists with the plank as you get better and stronger. (a youtube search for plank exercises for runners will get you in the right direction) Squats and deadlifts are great too.

As far as post workout stretching, I am another fan of yoga (and the foam roller). here are my 2 favorite yoga videos for runners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc3haRNn-5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmzfot_6HcE
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I did not know that static stretching is not the thing to do because I literally had not run a mile since I was forced to in high school more than 20 years ago. Also, I decided that my core is sometimes tired after jogging because it’s easier for me to keep moving if I hold my gut in. I guess I’m not to concerned about it.

As for “running” 2 days in a row, I’m still undecided. I do other more taxing physical stuff on other days that I definitely don’t want to do back to back. I’ll have to play with my schedule or else stretch out c25k to just 2 runs a week instead of 3. I don’t *think* that will cause too much harm.

I can’t believe I’m considering the factors for choosing a first 5k. I don’t think of myself as a runner. In my mind, I’m just a couch potato that moved my tv-watching from the sofa to the treadmill and who swims sometimes.

I would not drop a running day from the C25K plan if I could help it.

Your core is tired from holding you up. :) You use a lot more core than you might guess when running. You can supplement your running with some core exercises to help with that, or just run. Just make sure you pay attention to your form, especially do not slouch while running. Keep your shoulders slightly back and your chin up so that you are looking ahead, not down. It is better to go slower with poor form, than faster with bad form. Speed/distance come with time, but only if you do not hurt yourself and interrupt your training.

See this is what happens when I try to answer posts when I am days behind. Didn't realize a lot of this got answered already with some good stuff.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    To avoid having to constantly bob and weave around runners how do you determine where you start? I had assumed the flow would be like traffic...fast on the left, slow on the right and if you do plan to slow down or stop you would do so by moving to the right while checking to make sure it’s clear.