03/13/18 - 7.5 MPH for 7.5 miles at 4% Grade
    03/14/18 - 7.5 MPH for 7.5 miles at 4% Grade
    03/15/18 - 7.5 MPH for 10 miles at 4% Grade
    03/16/18 - Rest
    03/17/18 - Shamrock Shuffle 17.3 miles in total
    03/18/18 - Rest
    03/19/18 - Rest
    03/20/18 - 7 mph for 7 Miles @ 4.5% grade

Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

04/07/18 - Achilles 9.3 Challenge (10k and 5k back to back)
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

Just an easy run today to see if my foot was okay. Seems like it is, so will do some speed work this week and hopefully some distance work this weekend.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    To avoid having to constantly bob and weave around runners how do you determine where you start? I had assumed the flow would be like traffic...fast on the left, slow on the right and if you do plan to slow down or stop you would do so by moving to the right while checking to make sure it’s clear.

Someone here ( @PastorVincent I think...) positioned himself in the front, ran "all out" for a bit to get away from the "linked arm ladies" and then slowed to race pace.....I did that on my race this Sunday and it worked well. I am a solid 11-12min/mile runner, so would always be at the back of the pack, but like to run steadily and not have to dodge the dopes. Starting at the far right side back about 1/3 of the pack (so I was not holding up an elite runner), ran an 8min/mile for .....a tenth, got in front of the linked louts, then cautiously edged to the side on a straightaway (not a tangent) so real runners could get by me and slowed to my usual pace. It worked nicely!

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    To avoid having to constantly bob and weave around runners how do you determine where you start? I had assumed the flow would be like traffic...fast on the left, slow on the right and if you do plan to slow down or stop you would do so by moving to the right while checking to make sure it’s clear.

Someone here ( @PastorVincent I think...) positioned himself in the front, ran "all out" for a bit to get away from the "linked arm ladies" and then slowed to race pace.....I did that on my race this Sunday and it worked well. I am a solid 11-12min/mile runner, so would always be at the back of the pack, but like to run steadily and not have to dodge the dopes. Starting at the far right side back about 1/3 of the pack (so I was not holding up an elite runner), ran an 8min/mile for .....a tenth, got in front of the linked louts, then cautiously edged to the side on a straightaway (not a tangent) so real runners could get by me and slowed to my usual pace. It worked nicely!

Yeah, that was me. I lined up with all the elites, and stayed with them for like 1/8th of a mile or so, then pulled to the outside and slowed to race pace. It worked remarkably well.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    02 - 27.37
    05 - 15.59
    07 - 11.93
    08 - 12.05
    09 - 30.21
    12 - 14.57
    13 - 13.02
    14 - 15.22
    15 - 12.96
    16 - 30.17
    19 - 15.54
    20 - 11.36

Total: 209.99 / 250 miles
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what you mean when you say tangent. Lol. I’ll just have to remember that no one runs like the flow of traffic, start closer to the front and don’t worry about being in someone’s way. Lol
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

I wrote a super long post earlier on my phone and then hit the damn Done button and lost it all.

It should be that way but it never is. I follow it. I line up where I'm assigned/supposed to but people sneak in corrals all the time. I always try to go somewhere in the middle and to the right because I know I'm a middle of the packer and I know I start slow. Some people are easy to spot as experienced or newbies. You start to kind of figure it out the more you do.

I've been racing for about 5 years and the past year or two these events are attracting more and more walkers/casual runners who do whatever they want and don't use common courtesy. If I need to walk or stop, I always look behind me and move to the right. I try not to get too close to the person in front of me and when I pass, I go up a gear to clear them quickly.

For example, the race I ran on Saturday had a rope for the start shoot. A lot of us were jammed on the outside, waiting patiently to flow into the shoot once it started. This pair next to me was growing impatient and really wanted in the start shoot. So they decide to climb over the rope. The rope was maybe a foot off the ground but the one person couldn't clear it, ended up scraping my entire calf with their shoe. They barely looked at me and mumbled an apology. I look over and this person has a cane. I passed them not once, but twice. (The 8k did the 4k loop twice). They had no business jumping to the front of the line and they should know their ability. I think it's great they are out there but they should not have been lining up with the runners.

Another race a couple years ago there were two girls sharing one set of headphones, which was weird but ever weirder was they suddenly just stopped. In the middle of the road, no care of the people behind them. They stood there for a while. I eventually passed them because they were just standing but it was a head-scratcher as to what they were doing.

I could probably come up with more things I've seen because people do weird *kitten* out there.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I ran 13.1 miles running around people the whole race. It was a big race and I lined up in the corral correct for my finish time (9min miles), but not even a mile in I had to dodge around someone walking. Even heading into the finish stretch I was running around people.

On another note I saw a short video of myself running and I look weird running. My upper body doesn’t move much and my stride looks short... which I guess makes sense since my cadence is close to 200. I attribute it to having short legs. My husband thinks it might not be very efficient. Now I’m wondering if I should look into coaching or just be ok with looking weird - haha.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »

@JessicaMcB from the pictures of your new shoes. I like the looks of the treads on your trail runners. How have they been holding up and how does toebox feel? I'm running low on lone peak 3.0s and need to look at expanding out to a new shoe.

Welcome back @Azercord ! The T3 (my trail shoes) and my EnRoutes (kind of their all terrain vehicle shoe lol) are total workhorses. I've put enough km on my T3's that if I had been wearing Saucony I would have no tread left- they look almost new still. Toe box is wider which is good for my huge feet haha! No inner sticking out in that area either. I spent all of the Frozen 50 in snow to about the knee+ and my feet were still dry at the end in my T3's which blew me away.

My Speeds are faster than *kitten* but I can tell (by nature of being speed training shoes) that the tread is going to wear on them much faster. If you like a lot of rebound in the midsole the T4 is good too, the mack daddy is supposed to be the T5 but mine aren't here yet to tell you about. In about a week I think? If you end up wanting to try any of them out my friends and family code is MCBRIDE20 :)

March 1- Off
    March 2 Off
    March 3- 30
    March 4 - Off
    March 5 -18
    March 6- 15
    March 7- Off
    March 8- 16
    March 9- 20
    March 10- 45
    March 11- 16
    March 12 & 13- Off
    March 14- 27
    March 15 & 16- Ben gone, *kitten* the treadmill
    March 17- 50
    March 18- 16
    March 19- 19
    March 20- 15

287/400

1136/6000

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 19 7:08:00, 1st place Women's Open
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    *Lone Wolf Last Man Standing Race, June 17
    *Eddie's Half Marathon, June 24
    *Lost Souls 100 Miler, September 7

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I ran 13.1 miles running around people the whole race. It was a big race and I lined up in the corral correct for my finish time (9min miles), but not even a mile in I had to dodge around someone walking. Even heading into the finish stretch I was running around people.

On another note I saw a short video of myself running and I look weird running. My upper body doesn’t move much and my stride looks short... which I guess makes sense since my cadence is close to 200. I attribute it to having short legs. My husband thinks it might not be very efficient. Now I’m wondering if I should look into coaching or just be ok with looking weird - haha.

Can you post the video or stills from it? Re: cadence mine is always 190-210 so I can't say I agree with your husband ;) . @MNLittleFinn is it Jurek that keeps his minimum cadence at 200 in race?
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done the Marine Corps Marathon? I'm still debating a first marathon (and likely only marathon) for this fall. I just realized rush registration and the lottery start tomorrow. Hmm. Should I try?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    March goal: 96 miles

3/1: 5 miles
    3/4: 9 miles
    3/6: 4.1 miles
    3/7: 4.6 miles
    3/8: 5 miles
    3/11: 10.5 miles
    3/13: 5 miles (intervals)
    3/14: 5.2 miles
    3/15: 3 miles
    3/18: 11.3 miles
    3/20: 5 miles

67.7/96 miles completed

I tried for a tempo run today. I'm not sure how it went. I set the virtual pacer on my watch and managed to stay ahead of pace most of the run. I wasn't really sure how the pacer would work so my goal was not to run slower than 11:25/mile. I kept it under that for the first 4 miles. I was a little behind pace on the 5th mile, but I was really only planning 4 miles today so i was ok with that. I did run the entore run atba comfortably hard pace and not an easy pace so i felt like it was a workout. I ended up adding an extra mile since there is rain on the forecast for next week. I figure o may lose at least one run next week so I will add to each of this week's runs and if I don't miss any runs next week the I can shorten them if needed. It was perfect weather today too and looks good for tomorrow.

@theresa502 Happy Birthday!

@abutcher2122 I wasn't entirely sure about the tangents either. Thanks @pastorvincent. I thought that was what y'all were talking about when you said tangents and I'm glad to know I was thinking along the correct lines.

@Stoshew71 Thanks for all the good running advice. That is what I love about this group. I have learned so much from the veteran runners here.

exercise.png

• kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done the Marine Corps Marathon? I'm still debating a first marathon (and likely only marathon) for this fall. I just realized rush registration and the lottery start tomorrow. Hmm. Should I try?

I hear that is a great marathon. I tried the lottery for Chicago and did not get in and was debating if I did - would I make it my first or second depending on winter training. My vote is - Yes. If you get in it is destiny. If no, then determine if there is an alternative race that might work. For me I wanted a well attended event with lots of support and runners. My first is in May - The Flying Pig Matathon!! I am open for what race I will run in the fall - top current contenders are Milwaukee Lakefront or the Monumental Mile in Indy
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Forgive me if my understanding is wrong....I’m assuming the tangent=straights path possible? Maybe I should try for a longer distance than. When it comes to passing/getting around someone i end up pushing myself harder than I should. It’s like when you’re in the fast lane and the car in front is going slow and won’t move over but as soon as you switch lanes and attempt to pass they all of a sudden hit the gas and now you’re going 20 over just to pass this person who ultimately drops their speed and now you’ve wasted gas and add to that you’ve probably flipped off or screamed something at said person. Lol. That’s Cali driving for you. Lol
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    0320-5k Total-51.7k Goal-80k

Just a short recover run. The weather's finally warm enough to cycle to work without freezing my ears off, so might dial back the running just a bit to ease into biking 20k a day.

Picked up a pair of stock Kinvara 7 at a clearance sale. They feel awesome for the time being, hope they'll keep being awesome for longer runs. Even better, they're all black and really cheap, so I can go on vacation this year without having to carry extra shoes.

@abutcher2122 LOL that sounds familiar. Tangents are kinda like the theoretical shortest route, which, unless the road is empty, is really hard to achieve. Races get really crowded, sometimes we have to strike a balance between going keeping pace and waiting for a gap to open.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

March goal: March

3/1 3.41
    3/2 3.68
    3/3 3.12
    3/4 rest
    3/5 6.50
    3/6 3.23
    3/7 5.56
    3/8 rest
    3/9 3.41
    3/10 4.01
    3/11 rest
    3/12 3.12
    3/13 4.00
    3/14 We took the living room and moved it downstairs to the dining room, moved the dining room to the library...
    3/15 and moved the library into the bedroom, which we moved upstairs into the former living room....heavy lifting....cleaning.....scrubbing.....furniture moving...
    3/16 3.00
    3/17 2.09
    3/18 3.09
    3/19 installed all new window coverings, sewed new chair cushions....didn't run.
    3/20 3.65

Total 51.87
    @Teresa502 Happy Birthday
    @skippygirlsmom : just a shoutout to say hope you're feeling better...

Ticker is my goal for 2018 and progress to date:

exercise.png