3/11: 10.5 miles
    3/13: 5 miles (intervals)
    3/14: 5.2 miles
    3/15: 3 miles
    3/18: 11.3 miles
    3/20: 5 miles
    3/21: 5 miles

72.7/96 miles completed

I had a nice run today. It was windy, but I guess that's pretty normal for March.

@katharmonic Congrats on getting into the marathon!
    @mobycarp Yikes! I hope you heal up quickly.
    @rheddmobile Congrats on the PR! I'm still chasing a sub 30 minute 5k.
    @danniej312 Hope you're feeling better.

exercise.png

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    3/1: 2.5
    3/3: 3
    3/4: 4
    3/6: 3
    3/9: 1.7 of hill repeats
    3/11: 3
    3/12: 3
    3/18: 4
    3/19: 2.3
    3/21: 4

30.5/50 miles for March
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent My Garmin is consistently low on the dreadmill, at about the same factor for all machines. So it just thinks my stride is bigger than it really is, I guess. Good thing we have GPS so it can be accurate outside.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    3/11 4 miles
    3/16 1 mile
    3/17 4.45 miles
    3/21 4 miles

Total 13.45/35

I think I can still reach my goal this month if I fit all my runs in.

I was looking at my cadence in Garmin. I think mine is low. 156 tonight. I don't know how accurate Garmin is. I will have to look into this more, never really paid attention to it.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @Orphia - How's the toe box on the Vomeros? I too hear they are good for long runs, but in the past I have had problems with Nike being too narrow.

@karllundy Seems great! I need to test them on a long run, as I have a long left third toe which gets a beating with every pair of shoes I've ever had (Asics x4, Brooks x3), but these seem to be roomier than any of them.

They were actually recommended to me as having a roomy toe box and great for long runs. Can't wait for Sunday!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp will have to audition for " The Black Eyed Peas" ;) my bad.

Hate those Sidewalk Snake's. I once was tripped by what looked like a piece of grass, turned out to be a very old marker/locator flag for an underground power line. Like you I did a face plant before I could react. At least it was on a bush-wilderness trail with lots of tall grass to cushion.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    3/1-10 miles
    3/2 -30 minutes swimming + 35 minutes yoga
    3/3-10 miles w/ 8 @ (a little slower than) tempo
    3/4-14 miles+stretching
    3/5-Rest Day
    3/6- Yoga+ 1.6 miles with Stella+ 5.3 miles speed work
    3/7-6 miles easy (1.9 with Stella, 4.1 solo)
    3/8-P90X3 Total Synergistics
    3/9-12 miles
    3/10-12 miles
    3/11-10 miles
    3/12_Rest day (very much needed!)
    3/13-8.2 miles (including 1.5 with Stella)+ Stretching
    3/14- Strength Training + 32 minutes stationary bike
    3/15-6 miles
    3/16- Strength Training + 30 minutes Elliptical
    3/17-3.1 miles- Shamrock Shuffle 5K
    3/18-9.4 miles- Heart Mini 15K
    3/19- Rest Day
    3/20-6.5 miles

Miles: 114.1/150
    Yoga/stretch: 4/12
    Strength/P90X3: 3/6
    Bonus cross training: 3 sessions

I did an easy 6 miler lats night. Well, pace was easy. Run wasn't especially easy because of my extremely sore hamstring. I was sore going out, so I chose a flat run on the bike path and put on some chill War on Drugs music to keep me from picking up the pace too much. In all honesty, though, I am not sure that I could have. My hammie was tight. I knew that I was risking it by running hard in both of my races this past weekend, so I don't know why I am surprised. I think I have to come to terms with the fact that I can't/shouldn't run fast anymore. My legs seem to handle the mileage well, but it's when I run too many miles under 8 minute pace that I get myself into trouble. I tried to do a short run with Stella when I got home and I had to bail on it because my leg hurt and she was pulling too much. I tried stretching for a few minutes when I got home and it was really uncomfortable. I am hoping things are a little better today. Going to keep it at easy pace again.

@lporter229

Running hard in 2 races is bound to beat you up! Hopefully it's just because of that.

I'm sitting out this week's interval session with the run club because of a complaining hamstring/glute today too. I ran on Tuesday and Wednesday and had a big week last week, so hopefully a couple of days off running will let me run easy/long on the weekend.

I figure the rest will improve my performance much more than running with a bit-more-than-a-niggle.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Wow, everyone’s information on cadence is super helpful! I have already been running cadence drills lately, but I am going to look at all of your info on changing form. I’m hoping that working to improve those will help me out over the next few months.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Ouch!
    6 miles this am. I"m still taking it easy for now, recovery from a short race should be short but I don't want to press too soon.

exercise.png

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Up to 51 miles for the month. Apart from one race and a parkrun, it's all been on the treadmill. Those darn nor' easters are killing me.

Registration for the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge opens this morning, so that's June's race accounted for. Except I've had to dig out my emergency credit card to pay for it seeing as some miserable scrote has managed to get hold of my credit card details and tried to order twenty Domino's pizzas and enough wings to feed an entire football stadium. My bank realised it wasn't me (they're used to seeing race registrations and running gear on the card), so they halted the payments.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    SO TRACKING QUESTION

Today, as an example, I ran on the big fancy expensive dreadmills at the gym. I set the controls for 7.5 MPH (8 min pace) and random incline with an average of 4% grade. I ran for 61:15 and the dreadmill registered 7.65 miles. I overshot my hour target but that is a secondary point...

I tracked the run using my Gramin 935 and Garmin footpod. I have run with the footpod many times outside on auto-calibrate. The Garmin claims I ran 7.99 miles (had I known I would have kept going lol) at 7:41 pace for the same 61:15 time.

So which one is more likely to be correct?

I am no expert, but as a guess... The dreadmill is measuring distance because it knows how fast that belt is moving and can figure out pretty accurately what the distance was.

distance = speed (miles per minute the belt is moving) x time (minutes treadmill operating)

The footpod? I do not know too much about how they work in accuracy, but I believe they are using gyroscopes to measure quick changes in movement to figure out how many steps you're taking, estimating when your feet are on the ground vs in the air, cadence, ect. My guess is that the footpod is estimating distance by counting your steps and then applying what your average stride length is. If I remember right, they say you have to run outdoors in GPS mode a few times for that thing to work and understand how you run? The only problem I would think with that is, people run differently on a treadmill (smooth belt going a constant speed and forcing you to maintain a certain pace) than outdoors (uneven surface that remains stationary). That and GPS distance is extremely inaccurate for measuring precise distances. (remember our discussion on running the tangents and how race courses are certified distances)