April 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Great race report @MobyCarp Again, congratulations. Very tough conditions.
    Happy birthday @kgirlhart
    Congratulations @Ohhim (if you see this)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @kgirlhart ! I love donuts.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    runners are a tough breed.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-marathon/2018/04/17/mary-shertenlieb

This lady totally rocks.

Indeed. Given how long she took, she won't be an official finisher; but I bet she gets a medal anyway. She deserves it.

When I saw the weather, I thought it would be interesting to see how it would affect the stats for finishers. It drove the percentage down a little. 2016, sunshine and 60s, 96% finished. 2017, sunshine and 60s, 97% finished. 2018, wind and rain in our faces all day long, only 95.5% finished.

People who make it to the start line at Boston are a tough breed, even among runners. They get there, and only physical inability to continue will keep them from finishing the race.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

This lady totally rocks.

Indeed. Given how long she took, she won't be an official finisher; but I bet she gets a medal anyway. She deserves it.

When I saw the weather, I thought it would be interesting to see how it would affect the stats for finishers. It drove the percentage down a little. 2016, sunshine and 60s, 96% finished. 2017, sunshine and 60s, 97% finished. 2018, wind and rain in our faces all day long, only 95.5% finished.

People who make it to the start line at Boston are a tough breed, even among runners. They get there, and only physical inability to continue will keep them from finishing the race.

Dang, now THAT is sisu!
  • penko47
    penko47 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options

This lady totally rocks.

Now that made me cry!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Stoshew71 and @fitoverfortymom!

What an awesome story @bruins_gal91! My husband was telling me about it, but I hadn't read it yet.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Did an easy-ish 2.5 miles this afternoon. I struggled a little bit in the heat (85 today and 65 yesterday!), so the pace was slower than I planned. Tomorrow I’ll do a longer set of walk/jog intervals, and then my first 5k is Saturday morning! I can’t believe it’s almost here.

April goal: 40 miles
    Today: 2.5
    Total: 23.5

woohoo! You'll have a blast. Looking forward to reading your race report.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    RR is up on the blog. Still not going to post the link.... someone else can if they want to.... Its not that I don't want to share it, I just get annoyed when I get warnings for sharing.
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    woohoo! You'll have a blast. Looking forward to reading your race report.

Thanks! I’m excited/nervous in equal parts. My only goal is to run the whole thing.

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Yay, that's simply awesome! :smile: