WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2018

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,654 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: Things are sounding so much better for you and your DH. I love the old saw about eating an elephant one bite at a time. I can't remember when I first heard it, but it was long ago. It fits this situation very well. :flowerforyou:

Pip: The e-bike sounds like an amazing creation. I hope you'll eventually post a picture of Kirby riding it. :star:

Lanette This is my second day of sublingual B complex with B12. I noticed a difference yesterday & will keep it up for awhile. If it is successful, "awhile" will be long term. Thanks again for the suggestion. :bigsmile:

We're up and the day is overcast so far. We haven't decided what we might do to fill the day. My weight is still up a bit, but my knee is beginning to feel better. I'll keep up my quest to lose a couple of pounds until it feels good and strong again.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
    William James

we are going to ride to sumner tomorrow morning, he'll be taking it for its 1st ride tomorrow, will be around 13mi each way.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,771 Member
    Options
    Got a text from my guy who did the patio....it came out stunning,he even built a wee wee spot for Alfie..if I knew how to post from my phone I would...
  • lilnoramitchellandre
    lilnoramitchellandre Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Matcka - Great news about your husband's progress. Some just are not that blessed. My DBnL had a stroke 2 years ago; and, his family were amazed at the progress he made. MDs/Surgeons said that he had the worst bleed they had ever seen and basically, was a 'walking miracle'. Tommy is an extrovert and Suzanne is an introvert. That's about the way it is with Louis and me. He sees more people since he works; I see nobody, especially when I am on a 'driving restriction' ... which will be up the middle of the month; but, one thing I am going to go through first is a 'sleep study' to make sure the settings on my Cpap are set the way they should be since I am not sleeping like I was when I was first put into a Cpap. The 2nd 'sleep study' I had was done at an MD's office and the beds were miserably 'hard'. I like a 'firm' bed; but, these beds felt like 4x8 plywood with an inch think pad on top of it. I just could not get comfortable. First time they wires were all connected to a big circle; and, when I had to get up, they just unplugged it at the wall and I threw it over my shoulder; the last time, they had to unhook several of them and then hook them back up. Hot, too. Normally, I am cold and sleep with a blanket even in the summer.

Katla - I'm glad to be back posting. Maybe I won't get quite as long winded,

This last hospitalization was rough on me. Normally, I feel best when I am just a wee bit 'manic'; but, the PsycheMD who was treating me (not my own) 'screwed' with my seizure medications and I ended up becoming "Dilantin Toxic" by 4 points. Neurologist was a bit on the 'livid' side as there was no real reason for her to adjust my seizure meds just to get a 'textbook theraupedic' reading. I've never been 'textbook theraupedic' in my life. When he told me the symptoms of being 'Dilantin Toxic' ... check, check, check, and check. It could have caused me to have a seizure - wonderful!

It started off with me when I was first diagnosed and the Neurologist that I hated at first, then got to the point that I absolutely loved him had me on Lithium. But, every 6 months my thyroid readings would be off, so they'd change that medication and then he would have to start over with getting me back to what made me feel best which was less than 'textbook theraupedic' but, that is where he kept me (or tried to). When you take so many different medications it is surprising you don't hear of people dying from the interactions. Not taking the Nexium or Pepcid AC since my endoscopy and colonoscopy; and did a 'happy dance' when I was told that the only reason the 'other' surgeon had said it needed to be done was out of an abundance of 'over' caution. I'll go with what Dr. Smith had to say. He is the brother of my sons' pediatrician ... who was an 'odd bird'; but, if you followed his suggestions you could really see a huge difference in behavior of them than if I had tried doing the raising of them 'on my own'. I'll be happy to be 'off the Nexium' ... at least I have not been nearly as 'constipated' as before (I know - WTI). But, Louis told me I needed to make sure there was a paint stick in the bathroom so I could break it up before flushing. RITFLMAO! I'd like to get off as much medications as I can. With 4 different MDs I go to, that treat me on 4 overlapping body parts - for different reasons; it can get a bit daunting. I finally gave my GYN, who has treated me the longest of any MD in my life that I did not know what I had to do to get them to discuss what needs to be done and nothing 'major' unless Dr. Phillips 'okays' it. Saw the PA that my Neurologist now has; was surprised because I thought I would see him to discuss weaning me off the Dilantin and upping my Lamictal.

I finally have a Psychiatrist, Neurologist, GP, and GYN that I like and trust what they have to say and know that they realize now how important it is to me to understand what and why they have decided to do things a certain way.

I keep telling myself - open up that Word program so that you will make remarks you plan on making; but, that hasn't happened yet. OMG, we're 'out of coffee' and Louis is pissed! Oh well, we do have 'sugar' so the hummingbirds will have something to drink. Trey apparently isn't home (they've got company) and I am sure they are off doing whatever 40-year-old couples do. When I suggested that he call Trey he got mad. Well, guess we'll just not have any coffee until he goes to town.

I'll end now, this is long enough!

Love you ladies!
    Lenora
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,398 Member
    Options
    Machka - been thinking of your DH's wonderful recovery all day. Thank you for sharing the great news with us! <3<3 HUGS all around!! <3<3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

Rita...”Why bother spending the money? Make them yourself.What a waste!”

All you need is scissors or cutting wheel & go at it. Doubt we’ll ever see them in public. ...or we can hope!

Cheri...SIL has just gone thru chemo.Hugs for your niece & beautiful family.

Matchka
    ,.”Since last time I posted about my husband ...
    * My husband seems to recognise me now!
    * He is eating and drinking. Just liquids and purees at this point, but it’s eating.
    * He has dexterity in his hands. He can use a spoon. He also popped the top off his custard container, holds his teacup, unscrews the top off his water and juice bottles and screws them back on again. They told me he'd have to relearn all that stuff, but nope ... he just knows.
    * He has reasonable core strength and is able to sit on the edge of his bed without support now, and physio is getting him to stand too. There really is something to be said for fitness.
    * He appears to remember the music I play, and wiggles his feet or taps his fingers to the beat.
    * He’s got his sense of humour.
    * He talks!
    * He is regaining long-term memories in bits and pieces.

And regarding cycling ... I told physio that we're into cycling so they found one of those under-desk pedal things and got him to do a bit of that. While he was doing that, they asked him what kind of cycling he does: mountain biking or road. "Road" he said.

There are still a number of challenges. He tires very quickly which they say is normal. He's still reconnecting past memories, vocabulary, etc. which is a bit of a bumpy road, and he's still in PTA because he has limited short-term memory.

But one step at a time ... and yesterday I told him that, and then asked him "How do you eat an elephant?" He surprised me by replying, "One bite at a time".

That's how we approach our long distance rides, and we say that to each other when the going gets challenging. In fact, the first time I came across that saying was when I was preparing for the Paris-Brest-Paris in 2003. I read the following article ... and I think he read it too.

"Eating an Elephant" by Ron Himschoot

So ... we're "eating an elephant" here..”

Machka in Oz

So happy for you both. Improvement makes your heart sing!

I am an introvert for sure.Have been a reader since before starting grade school. Books have always been my first interest.
    Used to do crafts,but slowly came back to books,used to be a quilter,sewer,but reading always wins out. I am happy at home,prefer
    quiet & just happy to putter around.
    DH is more an extrovert,has never met a stranger & talks & talks.He came from a family of talkers & mine were readers.We were happy reading encyclopedias,cereal boxes or newspapers.I still am.

Loved the greenhouse & so much more.Not that I remember enough to comment.
    Time for bed....have a great Sunday. Trish Oh
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓