Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Michele ~ Love the spa area you have created. I know you must enjoy it very much!

Barbie ~ Your trail looks lovely. I used to love playing in the woods when I was a child and would love to be able to walk in wooded parks with water features. Unfortunately, our bum knees keep me and DH from doing so.

Glasses: Do any of you have this problem. I wear progressive lenses and find that I have a very difficult time judging distance and stepping off curbs. I'm always afraid that I will trip and fall. When I park the car, I never get up as close as I should and the back sticks out.

Lisa ~ Where are you?

Carol in GA
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    pg12
    Heather, your October cruise in favored cabin was meant to be. After what all you've been through, I'm very glad you'll have two cruises to enjoy.
    Rita your Angels-nextdoor cartoon had me laughing so hard I almost didn't make it to the bathroom to offload my tea!
    Campfirequeen "...time to do what I wanted to instead of what I had to do" amen sister! Remind me of your name and location?
    Felicia "hard to be mean when you're naked" :) Likewise in a recent Journeys in Japan highlighting hot springs, one man said something along the lines of "it's easier to communicate when you're naked in the baths. All the barriers fall away." Amen to long solo drives, find them meditative. In my younger days I loved to travel, going it alone, even to Israel for 6 weeks back in 1980. While I had one experience that persuaded me it was unwise for a youngish woman to travel solo, especially in non-Western cultures. I'd done something stupid, thankfully came to no harm, but it felt like a clear warning/life lesson. I'd travel with a group for the security, but only if abundant independent time were scheduled in. Paradox indeed. Say hello to my birthplace for me and tell her I miss her.

Welcome jpb, bobshuckleberry,

Has anyone heard from Lisa in her new AR home?

Enjoy the day, lovelies!
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.

Saturday
    Daily: Meditate, protein, walk, rx, supplements,log/100% YAY!
    Weekly:
    Tumble walk 4 times: 3
    AF days 4
    SWSY 2 times: 0
    T'ai Chi 2 times: 2
    line dance 2 times: 2
    Monthly: Hang up or purge the art 0

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Just got back from my anniversary walk with DH. The lanes were beautiful with bluebells and celandine. It was gloriously sunny, if a bit hot for me, but I kept going. Four stiles to get over and DH took me through a bluebell wood and across pastures. Probably about four miles. Good bonus calories!
    We had blinis, creme fraiche and faux caviar for lunch - our favourite thing. :D
    Now to relax. I did send off one more pitch to a radio programme this morning. Not bad for a Sunday.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Heather - Your walk sounds romantic! I miss seeing celandine in the spring. I always used to pluck off a leaf to see the orange sap. The plant's Swedish name is "skelört" because the sap was supposed to cure cross-eyedness. (Skelört means squintweed - probably not a word included in your Swedish course :laugh:)

Tell me, how faux is that faux caviar? My favorite "caviar" is made from lumpfish roe, but I've seen a super-faux kind made from seaweed. I'm sure it's perfectly palatable, and my sushi-eating habits confirm I have nothing whatsoever against seaweed. Still, the thought of making caviar out of it...? :noway:
    /Penny at the t07190.gif
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Boot blinged

YEAH! And certainly tasteful enough for work.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    Options
    Barbara - Our "new" cruise isn't until the end of March next year. You have to book early if you are fussy about the cabin. I still feel a bit embarassed about booking it, because I always said I would only go on a cruise to get to places I wouldn't be able to get to any other way, like the Arctic. We are seasoned travellers in Spain and Portugal. :o However, every port, bar one, is new to us. And a couple have been on our bucket list for a while - Porto and Cadiz.

Penny - it's lumpfish roe. We love it. Each time we have the blinis, creme fraiche and roe combo we can't believe something so easy could be sooooooooooooo delicious. :D
    Dover Sole and asparagus tonight.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Pageme16
    Pageme16 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    iojmqctd8bld.jpg4wnxozaybh8r.jpg

It's a brand new month for all of us who are committed to making healthy eating and exercise a way of life.

The name of the thread is Women ages 50+ but all women are welcome to be part of this supportive and encouraging community.

If you had goals for April, how did you do?

What goals have you set for May?

This thread has been around for a long time and there are many of us who have changed our lives as the result of reading and being part of this community.

Please sign your post with your name or alias and your geographic location so we can get to know each other better.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington

April Resolutions(with end of the month comments)
    *daily-ish work on photo scanning project (great success)
    *weight training twice a week (failed miserably--only 4 times all month)
    *average 15,000 steps a day (averaged over 18,000 steps a day)
    *work in the yard two or more days a week (did well in spite of the drizzle)

Resolutions for May
    *walk at least 15,000 steps a day
    *strength training twice a week
    *act the way I want to feel
    *work in the yard two or more times a week
    *do a plank daily-ish

Hi!
    I'm Page from NY. First I need to know how to Reply without hitting Quote first... This looks like such a wonderful group! Thank you!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Lanette- I don't really fast on Sundays. I call it my mindful eating day. I don't eat after 6pm on Saturday night, then on Sunday afternoon have a cup of broth and a cup of rice to remind myself that this all that many in the world have to eat in one day. Then I do eat a normal dinner with my family. I also allow myself coffee (black; no cream or sugar) and tea (no cream or sugar). It is more to reset my mind to be more mindful of what I am eating for the rest of the week. I did eat breakfast today, as I had about three hours of yard work ahead before lunch. Thankful I am fortunate enough to have a good meal before my work starts. <3 KJ
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Lanette- I think that the fasting that I do fits my lifestyle. I'm sure you have read all of the different health benefits to the different ways of fasting. One of the ways really benefits people with Alzheimer's. It also includes eating keto. Rye has used a excellent program 5:2. That is similar to Calorie cycling which is very helpful if you eat more on weekends then during the week just divide the calories accordingly. Example, so you have a total of 8400 cal per week on a 1200 cal per day diet. Two of those days you eat only 500 cal per day. Then the other five you have a total of 7900 cal to eat however you would like. On the diet that Rye is referring to from Dr. Mosley you do not actually have to count calories the other five days however he strongly suggests also eating a keto diet. Which he calls fat burning diet. Dr Fung has a fasting diet that will improve brain function and increase metabolism. This he also suggests a keto diet. I myself like 19:5 which is 19 hours of no eating with a five hour window of time to eat. I try not to eat till 3 PM and finish eating at around 8 PM. I like to eat in the evenings while I watch TV. Below you will find another type of fasting diet that I am looking into for brain health.

https://mybiohack.com/blog/ketoflex-12-3-diet-bredesen-protocol

I guess what doctors are really learning is that we need fat in our diet! Especially if you want a healthy brain and supple vascular system. As well as healthy joints. The most amazing thing that I can say is that eating a keto diet has dramatically reduced the belly fat especially in my husband, he lowered his cholesterol, and he is no longer prediabetic. And who wants Alzheimer's!

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Machka - Lovely to read about your husband's progress. You mentioned that the caregiving staff had said his recovery rate would pick up after the trach came out, and it appears they knew what they were talking about.

I'd never heard of Zwift, so I looked it up online. Wow! I was reminded a friend's strategy for keeping active indoors. He loved long-distance biking but that isn't really an option here in Longyearbyen. The whole of Svalbard only has about 45 km of road, and most of it requires that you carry a rifle against polar bears. Definitely not an option in the dark season. So he set up a big screen in front of his stationary bike and showed videos of roads he'd taken on various trips around the world. This was a decade ago, mind you. Things have advanced considerably since then, and Zwift looks cutting-edge!

Dana - I've become familiar with the view from your deck - the cyclone fence and the trees - but in your most recent picture I noticed for the first time that you appear to be on a hillside. Is there a view out beyond those trees, or am I just imagining things?

Right after I got home to Svalbard after two weeks in Stockholm, my husband left for two weeks in Nepal. :cry: On the bright side, I'm making use of his absence to log my food just as strictly as I want. (He's learned not to say anything about it, but I can still sense that considers such behavior obsessive-compulsive.) I'm also on a modified 16:8 schedule, eating only between 9 am and 6 pm - hard to do when I have to take his chaotic working life into consideration.

For my pains, I've logged exactly the same weight five mornings in in row. That's essentially unheard of, as my weight usually bounces around a lot. I'm hoping it's a good sign.

While I was away, my husband had a birthday and his colleagues at work bought a cake to celebrate. Half of it was left over, so he took it home and put it in the freezer. He was also given two boxes of chocolates. All that stuff was lying in wait for me when I got back after my two-week teaching jaunt. :scream: I had a piece of the cake (which is edible right out of the freezer) but it was within my calorie allotment so that's okay. I've managed to keep my fingers off the rest. :innocent:
    /Penny, persevering at the t07190.gif

I can relate to your comment that your weight has stayed the same for a week, because mine has too! Digitally that's crazy, and I have not been eating the same stuff! This next week we go back to exercising at the gym daily. Hopefully that will kick my weight off its little perch it's been on!
    Take care Penny!
    Rebecca
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    As Mary’s post suggests, there are probably as many ways to fast as there are diets out there!

Lanette what is your goal/reason to want to add fasting into your routine? Perhaps we can suggest something more specific to your circumstances!
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Kate - I have never been to Greece. DH has, many times, to the islands, where he used to bake on the rocks for six weeks at a time in his teaching days. I think he still pines for it as he loves the sun. I want to go at a more temperate time of year to visit the classical sites.
    I'm going to have two small glasses of white wine tonight (3 units) to celebrate our 15th meeting anniversary. We met through Internet dating. I walked into the pub 15 years ago to meet him at around 5.35 pm, so I will raise a small glass, 125 mls, then and have another with Dover Sole and asparagus for dinner. These have been the happiest years of my life.
    Unfortunately the fleece he was buying me as a present won't arrive until Thursday. Grrrr! I'm not buying from them again. Hope I don't have to send it back! I bought him a great Underarmour vest for his gymming, as well as chocolate truffles and his favourite stem ginger biscuits. :D<3

Today is also Max's 7th birthday. I sent his dad a text message in Spanish. :D:) For Max : FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS! Que te vaya bien! He goes to a bilingual school. To our surprise he rang us on the home phone! First time ever! He thanked us for our presents - a game for his new Nintendo and a How to Tame your Dragon t shirt. He had the t shirt on. :D They are going to an acrobatic theatre this afternoon. <3<3<3<3<3

Weather glorious! Might go for a walk with DH.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

I'm happy you're happy! Everyone deserves a bit of pure bliss, and this is you and your husband's time.
    Your words about Max calling you for the first time was precious! I remember teaching my son's how to call relatives etc, and my middle son calls my Mom up saying, "you know who this is right"? I'm coaching him off to the side saying, "no no, state your name, don't quiz them for gosh sakes"!
    Boys are notorious for not being conversationalists! It's hi, state purpose, and then hang up the phone! I'd groan and be exasperated because my son's would do that. "You just hung up on your friend there son"! My son's response, "Well I was done talking"! Oye!
    Hugs from my island to your island across the pond!
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    0nf37fpwv9nj.jpeg

My 12 year old Chewbacca using the force for nightly treat.

RV Rita

Your cute dog looks like my previous neighbor Prudence's dog Annabelle!
    ktgpl9lkevga.jpg

Such smart little dogs!
    Rebecca
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    As Mary’s post suggests, there are probably as many ways to fast as there are diets out there!

Lanette what is your goal/reason to want to add fasting into your routine? Perhaps we can suggest something more specific to your circumstances!

Rye - I SO appreciate all of the comments and ideas presented here. You guys rock! I opened a word document and for once will collect everyone's suggestions so they'll be easy to refer to at a later date.

The reason I'm looking into fasting right now isn't so much for weight loss, but for giving my digestive system a break and go through a "detox" for my brain's sake. Mary's mention of Bredesen's "Keto-flex" is worth looking into.

The times I have gotten serious I was on the 12/12 or 16/8 plan - but I wasn't able to stay on them for more than a couple days at a time. It wasn't so much that I was hungry, but just what seemed to be no energy. And was a little "Hangry", lol. But tell you what - I did get my "hunger" back. I obviously need to read up on all this more.

So KJ's mindful eating day sounds like something I could do one day a week - 16 or 18 or 20 hours without a "meal" but just something very light and/or liquid. On a designated day for a good reason, like KJ's.

Just thumbed through the "Daniel Fast" - the author ties the eating to the Bible, and that intrigues me as well. A reminder to be grateful for my health and think about things other than "what's for supper??" lol.

Thanks again for the information and please keep it coming! <3

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State