Somebody lectured me about Splenda today

Replies

• zandrathesweetheart
    zandrathesweetheart Posts: 109 Member
    I've never had this happen but when someone does something weird in the store I tend to not say things quick enough. I went to the store yesterday and one lady was blocking the item I was trying to get. I asked her politely to move and she looked at me with a sense of entitlement smh. Deep down I wanted to tell her to gtfoh! lmao
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    tinak33 wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is everything linked to cancer nowadays?
    Just saying, if people start lecturing me that bacon will give me cancer, I am gonna tell everyone I'm dying happy.

Edited to add.....
    I use Splenda every day. B)
    Actually “processed meats” have been linked to cancer.

You’re right though. A life without bacon isn’t worth living. Lol I eat bacon like every week

When I was pregnant, I literally at 7 strips of thick cut bacon every single morning for 2-3 months. It was my snack while driving in to work. HAHAHA
    And now, my toddler loves bacon. :#

Ya, when I as in jr. high I would eat bacon as my afternoon snack. Just bacon. My password for my email and various other things was also “bacon” lol
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    NicoleHaki wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    NicoleHaki wrote: »
    ...I haven't seen the aspartame thread and don't particularly care to see it - I personally have read enough about artificial sweeteners to have formed an opinion...

So you don't think that understanding the scientific facts about something is important to help form an informed opinion?

The OP in that thread is a molecular biologist. Not a shill from Big Aspartame or some random derp spouting personal opinions without evidence to back them up. Definitely worth a read for anybody with an open mind who's willing to realize that their 'opinions' might be based upon propaganda rather than scientific fact.

I've just seen enough scientific data to satisfy my curiosity on this topic. The same way I would view cigarettes or certain drugs - I haven't read long internet threads about those things, but I've seen enough to overcome any desire I might have ever theoretically had to mess with those things.

Its posts like this that have me currently in mfp jail. Sigh...oh to dream of a reply....
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    tigtv79pxzyj.jpg

My new outfit.

Oh, that's so sweet!

Sweeter as a sugar substitute!! :#:#
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    latrans321 wrote: »
    So... it's employee recognition week here at High Desert State Prison (in addition to being Teacher Appreciation Week-- yay! I'm doubly appreciated), and as I came into the lounge to enter grades and attendance, I commented that (as a Type I diabetic), I thought the candy-in-a-cup that I was given was a less than ideal way of showing appreciation. A fellow teacher claimed that she'd seen me drinking a Pepsi, at which point I pointed out that it was, in fact, a Diet Pepsi... and she told me that artificial sweeteners were just as bad as sugar.

I remembered the poster from this blog who, earlier, commented that he had been similarly accosted and commented that he thought it was unlikely that diet drinks would provoke an insulin reaction. Thanks to that post, I had a ready reply... which caused her much consternation and shut her right up. Thanks, guys!

(As an aside... if only artificial sweeteners could provoke an insulin response. Think how easy treatment of diabetes would become!)

If it did, then it still would not be the case for type 1's - just like eating carbs don't magically cause our pancreas to start working even though healthy people will have an insulin release with carb consumption. But yes, I also like to point out how problematic that would be if it were true for most people. Additionally, I point out how it isn't possibly true for some of us with paperweights for our pancreas.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    latrans321 wrote: »
    So... it's employee recognition week here at High Desert State Prison (in addition to being Teacher Appreciation Week-- yay! I'm doubly appreciated), and as I came into the lounge to enter grades and attendance, I commented that (as a Type I diabetic), I thought the candy-in-a-cup that I was given was a less than ideal way of showing appreciation. A fellow teacher claimed that she'd seen me drinking a Pepsi, at which point I pointed out that it was, in fact, a Diet Pepsi... and she told me that artificial sweeteners were just as bad as sugar.

I remembered the poster from this blog who, earlier, commented that he had been similarly accosted and commented that he thought it was unlikely that diet drinks would provoke an insulin reaction. Thanks to that post, I had a ready reply... which caused her much consternation and shut her right up. Thanks, guys!

(As an aside... if only artificial sweeteners could provoke an insulin response. Think how easy treatment of diabetes would become!)

Bravo!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    tigtv79pxzyj.jpg

My new outfit.

I'll bet I could get a cycling jersey with the same thing on it. Yellow being appropriate color.

I'd actually prefer the blue though - and generic name in either case, because that's just me. (who said cheap!)
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    I want a Splenda dress now