WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2018

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Lisa: the Chicken Stock idea is a good one. We're considering two others, as well. One is to make it into chicken soup, and the other is to make it into dog food. In both cases we would bone the remains of the chicken and cut it into pieces. :grumble.

Machka: I am thrilled that your DH is doing so much better. Yay!!!!! :heart:

Starsub99: Welcome! Like Barbie, I had to make a lifestyle change. I needed to count calories and move more to strengthen my muscles and burn calories. I recommend letting MFP set your calorie goals for you. That is what I did. As you lose weight, they will reduce the amount of calories you are allowed until you reach your goal. Then they gradually increase them as you enter the maintenance phase. Eventually I found this group and have stayed here even after I reached my goal. I know that I need the support from this group to keep myself focused and avoid backsliding. :flowerforyou:

The dog is driving me crazy today. I don't know what has him being such a nag. I think he wants to eat, but we aren't eating and don't feed him until we're eating. When we do, he ignores the food. He wants to "eat with the pack." Our dog is more than a little spoiled.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    :* really sleepy today. Don’t know why......

Rv Rita in New Mexico
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Rebecca, love the virtual hug and good job walking.

Cheri, what a nice idea the Project Linus is.

Suebdew, congrats on the weight loss.

Rori, I’ve always wanted to go to the Poconos. And VT is so close. Maybe someday.

Allie, good for you taking a bad situation and making it fun with friends.

Wendy, Rye & Karen, thanks for the kind words.

Karen, glad things worked out about the home schooling for your grandson.

Allie, good luck with the appraisal.

Machka, 14,000 steps. Holy cow girl!

Starsub99, welcome to the group. You can do this.

Terry in VT
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Allie, my power goes out multiple times a year for hours sometimes. We have so many battery powered lights it is ridiculous!

When it isn’t horribly timed we try to make it a fun time, like it sounds you did.

If it happens at night, we leave one light burning in the kitchen but make sure to shut off all others so it doesn’t disturb us in our sleep if power comes back.

Rye
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Doing my third Fast Mimicking Diet week this year right now.

I’ve been finding maintaining my weight about as tough as losing it, and am not at all sanguine with the idea I need to only eat 1350ish calories a day. That doesn’t satisfy me at all and is not sustainable.

FMD and 5:2 and 16:8 intermittent fasting are my ‘hacks’ to keep my average daily calories low enough to not regain weight but let me eat more like a person and less like a bird the other days.

Exercise, strength training and recently stretches are now part of my regular routine.

Personally I hate the ‘change your lifestyle’ way of looking at things. But that way of thinking seems to work for most. Me, I think of these things as ‘supporting’ my lifestyle- like a job. There are things I must do and things I must give up to have the life I want.

Bottom line, it is about finding what works for you. And these ladies are a great help, wonderfully rich resource, and have great depths of empathy and humor to help you along!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    o:)>:)
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ⚓⚓
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi all,
    I didn't sleep well last night and was trying all kinds of ruses to stop me thinking about the house move. :# Didn't work. I gave up at 5 am and moved into the spare room to read.
    It helped a lot to talk to DH over our morning cup of tea in bed. I was bottling up the fact that I was ready to quit. He completely understood and I think we are on the same page. So we are just letting it ride and having no expectations. If it happens it happens. It was good to talk.
    Then this afternoon I suggested my favourite thing - going to the council dump. :D:p We took glass bottles, bags of books, an old Victorian swing dressing table mirror for the recycling dep and lots of other debris. :D Cleared out the cupboard under the stairs and found a raincoat with warm lining to give to the charity shop.
    Going to the dump always makes me feel sooooooo much lighter and happier.
    Then later in the pm both sets of estate agents rang us to give us the latest updates on the situation. It doesn’t make it any better, but it's good to know they are making an effort and up to date.
    Feel much more sanguine this evening. :D

Had fantastic chicken, lentil and cabbage curry this evening , cooked in the IP. It was HUGE! Only 400 calories including the raita. No rice, but I put potatoes in for DH only. Put the cabbage in big wedges at the end. Totally yum.

DH is struggling with a new MP3 player he bought especially to put his favourite CDs on that he hasn't got on his Ipod. Amazon said it was easy to drag and drop from the laptop, but his laptop seems to have put them on an app, not on a music file. He is fed up. I hate new equipment so I'm not getting involved. All his bits of technology work on different systems. :#:(:|

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I made gluten free biscuits for DH's birthday breakfast. The flavor was good enough but they had lousy texture that reminded me of hardtack or hockey pucks. :embarassed: I hope next time is better. :ohwell:

Katla.....I sent this site to a friend for gluten free biscuits. Have no personal experience making them.

https://www.whattheforkfoodblog.com/2015/05/04/gluten-free-biscuits/

Another site with gluten free recipes is

https://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Asian Inspired Recipes

Lenora,Doesn’t matter how your Sis lives,just sort & toss what suits you.I’m into sorting linens of all types,need to clear them out. Next will be kitchen stuff,pots,pans,dishes & storage containers. All they do is take up room & seldom used.
    Clothes are easy for me to toss.No need to keep what I never wear.DH’s Grma had boxes & closets full of new linens,clothes ,shoes etc when she passed.All with price tags still on. His Mom prob told someone to take them or trashed all. She was not a sentimental person.

Tricia Oh
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Went to the gym with husband today. Pushed myself a bit in the weight room. We do 30 minutes of going around the machines. I do 15 reps, and when it gets easier, I will put it up ten lbs. Most of the machines I'm doing 20 lbs, some I can do 30, and a couple I do 75 lbs. The one where you put your legs on a pad in front of you, and press backwards. The other is leaning towards your knees you then push with your back arching. That one feels really good actually. It's the same feeling if you are doing floor exercises and arch like a cat, pull into yourself and arch again.
    We then do 30 minutes on the treadmill. Husband is such a nut, I will be walking and sense he is looking at me, turn and he is smiling like a silly! I swat at him and he swats at me, like we are 12! He does make life interesting! I average 3.0 mph, and do 1.5 mile, and burned up my breakfast! It's now noon, and my body still is humming!
    Dear husband wanted a big messy hamburger though, as we were driving home. Times like today, I am glad to tell him we can't afford to go out! Actually we can, but I tell him that anyway!
    Feeling better about things. Hopeful. Miss my TOPS friends, and my friends in Oregon though. Might start in a couple months with the group here. Just need to settle out our finances. See what we're looking at to fiddle with.
    Everyone, y'all are doing great! Keep on, keeping on!
    Love
    Rebecca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Karen, we are on the same page about home schooling the grandies. I also want to help empower my daughter and son in law so that they can afford to give the very best individually tailored education to my grandies. My son in law is a teacher, and he is very disillusioned with the system here. My daughter has a teaching certificate to teach English to non-English speakers. They both want to work part-time and share the joy of educating their two children at home. They are looking for alternative ways in order to achieve this goal. (Right now they are living with son in law's mum rent free and renting out their own home, trying to save up money.) My goal is to make enough money through the honey business and possibly buy a wild bush block where we can build eco-friendly dwellings and live mortgage free and they can help in the bee business and we can all help educate the grandies! What a vision! We are going to stay with them this weekend. Can't wait to see my loved ones. Love to you all, <3 Wendy
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Sitting on my patio waiting for the sun to go behind the house so I can work in my flower beds. I did a little after we can back fro, grocery shopping but it got too hot in the sun.
    Rebecca- your gym story made me smile. My DH wears bright colored shirts to the Y so I can always find him. If he sees me looking his way he will smile and wave. We were coming out of the mall one time and the security guard drove up and said it was nice to see people holding hands. I told him we were holding each other up.
    Rori- enjoy your trip, isn’twonderful to be able to go whenever you feel like it.
    Thanks Terry. Sending good thoughts to you and hope you feel better soon. My GS just broke his foot in PE. Six weeks with no weight on it. It is called a Jones fracture and if not treated right can hurt for the rest of his life. He is 13! We leave in 7 weeks for the Baltic cruise.
    Starsub99- sure hope you will tell us a little more about yourself like a name we can call you and general area where you live. Be sure to bookmark the thread so you can come back again.
    Heather- My daughter who was born in England is going to London at the end of the month so she ask me what our addresses were when we lived there. She was able to pull up the exact houses! Technology can be wonderful. She thinks she will take a train up to Essex County for a day trip.
    Better get to clipping dead roses.
    Suebdew in TX
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Hi all: Cloudy and cool so I am going to try to get some mowing done this afternoon. Went to get groceries this morning. We got a new field mower and trimmer. DD tried it out last night. I think it will work out really well for our acreage. Now I just have to learn to use it. LOL I have been doing fairly well with the 8:16 intermittent fasting. DD is trying it too so it is nice to have both of us doing it and supporting each other.

Wendy - Congrats on the round pen and enjoy it. We are in the process of putting one together here. Have it partly up. We are also trying to train our goats to stake out so we can move them around the property to clear things out. They do that well.

Rori - enjoy your trip.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • coastalgosgal
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Suebdew in TX, haha, bright shirts work! My husband opens the car door for me, and yep I do know how to open to open it, it's just him being old fashioned. We have gotten the, "Oh you are so cute together". We really are a package deal. God, I love that man!
    Love
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    zwhtj87brc71.jpg