Myth or not a myth?

Options

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    So far it is. The hardest part for me is sticking to my calorie budget without being hungry. That has forced me to eliminate my favorite foods for the most part because they dont fit in my calorie budget.

Ok. Why don't you open your diary and start a new thread and see if there is some advice we can give you for helping you with your hunger so you can have more of your favorite foods?

I am being 100 percent serious. There is a chance some of the really smart and experienced people here can give you some ideas with which to experiment.

these are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Try different macros. A lot of people look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below. Others feel better with high volume, higher carb diets (I trend this way during my period, personally). That's okay, too. See what makes you feel best.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.

These are good tips. Some people do these things and are still hungry at the end of the day. It does seem like a lot of people set their calorie goals too low......1000 etc. But for some people with a more reasonable goal and calorie budget, hunger still exists.
  • nooshi713
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    And why is it always the poor pizza that gets shamed? I fail to understand what is unhealthy about flour, tomatoes, cheese, vegetables and a little meat all eaten together.

I think pizza is great. Most pizza worth eating imo has a high calorie to satiety ratio though.

When I make pizzas myself I put less cheese and tons of veggies.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    And why is it always the poor pizza that gets shamed? I fail to understand what is unhealthy about flour, tomatoes, cheese, vegetables and a little meat all eaten together.

I don't consider it "unhealthy" but "really easy to overeat as it is so yummy with lots of calories but not especially filling."
  • nooshi713
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I thought about it but it seems a lot of people in this message board are very judgemental. I mean in this message board people have accused me of condemning the OP and suggesting an elimination diet which I never did.

If you want help you don't need to worry about this thread. I can pretty much guarantee that almost everyone here wants you to succeed and be as happy as possible doing it.

I pretty much have a good knowledge base already. I know what I have to do. I am doing it. I just have to live with either being hungry and eating my favorite foods or being more full and avoiding my favorites. I eat treats occasionally. If someone has some magic way of fitting 600 CALORIES OF Haagen Daaz into a1400 calorie budget where I can still be full let me know. It is not possible. :)
  • nooshi713
    Options
    I thought about it but it seems a lot of people in this message board are very judgemental. I mean in this message board people have accused me of condemning the OP and suggesting an elimination diet which I never did.

If you want help you don't need to worry about this thread. I can pretty much guarantee that almost everyone here wants you to succeed and be as happy as possible doing it.
    I honestly don't think she wants to succeed/be happy.

Of course I do. It is just hard but I have accepted that.