Options
1242526272830»

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i see the excuse train is still rolling through ….
    Just so there's no confusion, I'm not still asking for advice on how to get into a calorie surplus. I stated back on page 16 that I figured out the "answer" to the original question I asked. And I’m also not trying to do that slow bulk anymore (I’m kind of still following what I initially stated in my OP). I have no problems putting my diary back up and logging, but I am missing the point (unless you guys are really just that curious about how much I'm eating now).
    In your OP you said you were going to do a slow bulk of 1 lb per month, now you say you're aren't going to slow bulk but will be doing what you said in your OP, so what exactly are you doing?

It's like thinking about time-travel... this thread just leads to mind-bending paradoxes.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Just so there's no confusion, I'm not still asking for advice on how to get into a calorie surplus. I stated back on page 16 that I figured out the "answer" to the original question I asked. And I’m also not trying to do that slow bulk anymore (I’m kind of still following what I initially stated in my OP). I have no problems putting my diary back up and logging, but I am missing the point (unless you guys are really just that curious about how much I'm eating now).
    In your OP you said you were going to do a slow bulk of 1 lb per month, now you say you're aren't going to slow bulk but will be doing what you said in your OP, so what exactly are you doing?

It's like thinking about time-travel... this thread just leads to mind-bending paradoxes.

The universe is about to collapse in on itself.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Just like my tiny little mind... :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    this thread is like an ultra slow train wreck …...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

na, that will only happen if OP starts eating more, joins a gym, and gets a job ….highly unlikely ….
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

na, that will only happen if OP starts eating more, joins a gym, and gets a job ….highly unlikely ….

I think op enjoys playing the victim and doesn't really want want help
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    This is what I stated then.
    My plan right now is to bulk at about 1 pound per month for the next couple months, and once the spring rolls around I'll get outside and do my favorite cardio exercise.
    I don't wish to drag the thread down that way again, but I did also give the reasons why I wouldn't keep the bulk continuous past the end of this winter. Logistical issues at the moment are preventing me from doing that specific cardio exercise, but over the next few days I will be adding other cardio into my routine. Granted, I realize that in actuality any pure muscle I may have added in that time would practically be negligible.

• ForecasterJason
    Options
    This is what I stated then.
    My plan right now is to bulk at about 1 pound per month for the next couple months, and once the spring rolls around I'll get outside and do my favorite cardio exercise.
    I don't wish to drag the thread down that way again, but I did also give the reasons why I wouldn't keep the bulk continuous past the end of this winter. Logistical issues at the moment are preventing me from doing that specific cardio exercise, but over the next few days I will be adding other cardio into my routine. Granted, I realize that in actuality any pure muscle I may have added in that time would practically be negligible.

• irejuvenateme
    irejuvenateme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    -- You should see a nutritionist, as your goals mixed with your restrictions sound very "custom". I can tell you from my experience it can help tremendously in developing a custom plan for your specific needs
    -- Maybe I missed something but there are foods like Quinoa, Almond Butter, corn for you.
    Also maybe you can start doing this gradually - shoot for 100 extra cals a day for a week or even a month - then 200 and so on.

I also have a very sensitive stomach, I have acid reflux issues and I have to watch blood sugar... you can do this if you get this straightened out but it sounds like you should see a professional to get the advice you are looking for. Again for me it has been HUGE to see a nutritionist (I could not get the same feedback from these blog posts)

Not sure how much you are lifting or if you are doing cardio but I am assuming you are following a progressive overload type approach and not going crazy with the cardio.

Once all these things are in line I think you will see a difference.
    good luck.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I’m bumping this thread because at this point, I would say I have a story that is more marked by success rather than the failures outlined in the history of this thread. I think a more appropriate thread title would be “Getting into a calorie surplus is achievable”.

Back in January of this year, I was sitting at 120 lbs. I’m now around 130 lbs. It occurred to me earlier this year that despite continued lifting of weights over the past few years, I really had not gained more than a pound (at best) of legit muscle. This is based off of measurements and how clothes were fitting. But I can tell that my clothes now fit tighter around me, and my chest, hips, and thigh measurements all increased since the start of the year. Not only did I get into a calorie surplus, but I substantially increased my lifting volume.

It may be disappointing to some that I am transitioning back into maintenance calorie intake, but I definitely feel a much better sense of accomplishment from a muscle and strength perspective than at any previous time. While some may laugh at my stats for popular lifts, in the real world I don’t feel that my strength is limited for normal activities. And I tend to think that I look more along the lines of slender/fit as opposed to unhealthy/malnourished. These photos were taken today, in the clothes that I wore to my job. I do now have a permanent job in my career field, which I have had for nearly 2 years.

While I’d be lying to say that every single piece of advice in this thread I have now followed, I can definitely say I’ve taken a good bit and ran with it. All hope was not lost!

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I’m bumping this thread because at this point, I would say I have a story that is more marked by success rather than the failures outlined in the history of this thread. I think a more appropriate thread title would be “Getting into a calorie surplus is achievable”.

Back in January of this year, I was sitting at 120 lbs. I’m now around 130 lbs. It occurred to me earlier this year that despite continued lifting of weights over the past few years, I really had not gained more than a pound (at best) of legit muscle. This is based off of measurements and how clothes were fitting. But I can tell that my clothes now fit tighter around me, and my chest, hips, and thigh measurements all increased since the start of the year. Not only did I get into a calorie surplus, but I substantially increased my lifting volume.

It may be disappointing to some that I am transitioning back into maintenance calorie intake, but I definitely feel a much better sense of accomplishment from a muscle and strength perspective than at any previous time. While some may laugh at my stats for popular lifts, in the real world I don’t feel that my strength is limited for normal activities. And I tend to think that I look more along the lines of slender/fit as opposed to unhealthy/malnourished. These photos were taken today, in the clothes that I wore to my job. I do now have a permanent job in my career field, which I have had for nearly 2 years.

While I’d be lying to say that every single piece of advice in this thread I have now followed, I can definitely say I’ve taken a good bit and ran with it. All hope was not lost!

It's great to see progress, but I hope you still intend to bulk at this moment. I mean, I am 5'9 (almost your height) and I weigh 164 lbs and I consider myself lean, you should strive at the very minimum to hit at least 150 lbs in my opinion and hopefully that is your goal too. Anyways, one thing at a time, keep lifting, keep eating at a surplus, I hope you don't intend to end your bulk now. Imagine how your frame would look with another 15-20+ lbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

you did a slow bulk of 2lb per year for 3 years? this thread started back in 2015.
  • tammie614
    tammie614 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    jbgolf52 wrote: »
    This is the definition of wheel-spinning. One pound per month? You do know that your scale weight can fluctuate up to 3-5lbs daily due to water retention, food you recently ate, and if you are backed up or not? Granted, I do know much about you but it seems to me like you have disordered eating. What stomach issues do you have? I have a sensitive stomach as well and suffer from gastroparesis and chronic constipation but you know what helps make them go away? Gaining weight, getting to a good weight, and maintaining it, all the while getting enough calories consistently over the day (no IF). I used to be 150lbs at 5'10 but dropped to a low of 123lbs due to my stomach issues. I'm currently 132lbs and looking to get up to 165lbs and aiming for bulking 1lb/week until I hit 140-145 then 0.5lbs/week because being underweight stresses your digestion a lot, especially on top of existing stomach conditions.

What is your maintenance calorie level and how many fruits and vegetables do you eat? A classic sign of disordered eating is eating a ton of food volume (ex: mounds of vegetables) as necessary to get in at the expense of overall calories. I bet you can maintain on more calories if you ate less volume and gave your body the proper fuel it deserves. Again, I do not know you as I'm not a regular on the forum, so I apologize in advance if this is not the case. But to me it just seems like you fear food.

Regarding #2: your metabolism doesn't slow down or stop once you reach your goal weight, in fact you will require more calories to maintain your higher weight so you would get to eat even more.

#3: Ever heard of the saying that abs on a skinny guy don't count? It's natural to have abs at such a low bodyweight as you have no fat on you. If you had abs on you with another forty pounds added to your frame then you would have solid abs, but right now you don't.

Also, you're 20yrs old. No offense but girls don't want to date guys skinnier than they are, plus being underweight like you are gives them a sign that you wouldn't be able to protect them. Wouldn't you rather be strong and lean at 160-170lbs?

Daily?!?!!? i seriously didn't know that. i can now breathe a sigh of relief (and continue to drink all the water) :-)
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    Hey everyone,

you did a slow bulk of 2lb per year for 3 years? this thread started back in 2015.
    Not totally. My weight fluctuated up and down between 119-125 lbs between the summer of 2015 and the beginning of this year. At times I put on a few pounds (water and fat), and at other times I would lose those few pounds. But in January this year I was barely sitting at 120 lbs following a loss of about 6 pounds over the preceding 3 months. So I would say it was more like a 10 lb bulk in 5 months.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It's hard for me to understand when people talk about how difficult it is to get into a surplus - especially from maintenance calories.

For a lean bulk, you'd maybe want to increase your calories to 250 above maintenance. If I cooked my morning eggs in oil or butter instead of a nonstick pan and added one more egg (which is near zero in terms of satiety), I'd have the majority of that surplus right there. Use regular mayo instead of lite mayo on my tuna sandwich for lunch, there's another 100 calories or so. Add in one protein bar for another 200 calories. If I ate a ribeye steak for dinner instead of a leaner cut of beef, that would easily add several hundred calories. If I ate a pint of regular ice cream for dessert at night instead of Halo Top/Enlightened/Chilly Cow, that would add 500-800 calories right there in one whack. So with a few simple changes, I could easily bump my intake by anywhere from 200-1000 calories while hardly, if at all, noticing it in terms of the volume of food I ate.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It's hard for me to understand when people talk about how difficult it is to get into a surplus - especially from maintenance calories.

For a lean bulk, you'd maybe want to increase your calories to 250 above maintenance. If I cooked my morning eggs in oil or butter instead of a nonstick pan and added one more egg (which is near zero in terms of satiety), I'd have the majority of that surplus right there. Use regular mayo instead of lite mayo on my tuna sandwich for lunch, there's another 100 calories or so. Add in one protein bar for another 200 calories. If I ate a ribeye steak for dinner instead of a leaner cut of beef, that would easily add several hundred calories. If I ate a pint of regular ice cream for dessert at night instead of Halo Top/Enlightened/Chilly Cow, that would add 500-800 calories right there in one whack. So with a few simple changes, I could easily bump my intake by anywhere from 200-1000 calories while hardly, if at all, noticing it in terms of the volume of food I ate.

So true, just olive oil can add extra calories for so little and you hardly feel it in the stomach. When I need a lot of calories, I pour olive oil all over my salad, I'll add extra margarine on my toast as I eat it with eggs, there is so many ways to fool your body in thinking that your not eating much, but in reality you are....just like there are ways to trick your body to feel full on a caloric deficit.