WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2018

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Rye Ouch. Broken toes are such a nuisance. Makes me grateful for my pedestrian feet.

KarenNY We had a couple of very determined squirrels in our attic that we finally ousted with the help of a strobe light and a high frequency sound emitter that I found online (don't ask me - it's been too long ago). Once they vacated the premises, we tried steel wool, wood nailed over the entry points, and finally metal mesh over the gnawed areas. They had chewed on some wires that had to be replaced. Fire hazard! They ruined two kayaks we had tied up for the winter under our deck, chewed right through them. We have two outdoor rockers made from recycled milk jugs and they have gnawed on the arms until they are completely grooved. Very tenacious, adaptable little creatures. I just couldn't go with the exterminator, who wanted to charge a lot of money to put down sticky paper. I couldn't bear the thought of that. Most of the time the intruder is a pregnant female who is determined to find a safe place to nest.

Carol Your fight with your husband reminds me of an ad I saw on TV recently for our local weather and traffic channel, where some children are being interviewed, and one little boy reported that when his mom gets cut off in traffic, she calls the other driver a "knucklehead". Too bad your husband doesn't have a small child in the car with him...(((hugs))). I have noise canceling headphones so I would not give up my trip, but would don my headphones and listen to music, podcasts, etc. I hope you get to go. Maybe you could fly or take a train?

Thank you for all my birthday wishes!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen: I think I missed wishing you a happy birthday. Happy Birthday!

Lanette: We had terrible varmint problems winter before last when raccoons decided to move in under our house. Hopefully that will not happen again. We have serious heavy-duty metal vent covers to keep them out, now. :grumble: We had a swallow nest in our garage soffit a few years ago, but have that sealed up quite well now, too, and have also had yellow jacket nests in the past. I have some sympathy for the critters since humans are taking up so much land with our cities and towns, but not enough sympathy to sacrifice my home to them. :noway:

Allie: I've never heard of memory pillows like the ones you made with your dad's shirts. What a wonderful idea! :star:

Carol in GA: Could you and DH take separate cars to see your DGD? The anger you are talking about when your DH drives sounds worrisome. I don't blame you for wanting to avoid riding with him. :noway:

NYKaren: We had heavy duty metal screens installed over every single vent under our house to deter raccoons. Nobody has gotten under there again. :noway: Critters were trying to den under our deck and we put packets of mothballs at the edges there. I staple them to the underpinnings of the deck. Nothing with fur wants to be anywhere they can smell those mothballs. I wonder whether something similar could work against your squirrels. Good luck. :star:

JanetR: You look fabulous. If I've said it before, it bears repeating. :smiley:

Rita: Your DH is quite the daredevil. I'm glad he wasn't hurt. :flowerforyou:

We are working on the curtains that hang in the bedroom of our Bounder. They need attention and we're having fun fixing them up. DH is the one with the upholstery skills.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

The secret of getting ahead is getting started. - Mark Twain
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    B)<3:)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Love that Mark Twain quote!! :)
    NYKAREN
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Katla What NYKAREN said.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food, do not measure-weigh your food, dadgummit WEIGH your food!!!

Reading Dr. Mosely's blood sugar diet, on a whim I weighed the "teaspoon" of honey I add to my morning tea.
    GAAUGGGHHHHH! It weighed in at a hefty 16 ml, a hair over 1 TABLESPOON equivalent. Double checked the next cup of tea. 14 ml. So my daily 4 teaspoons of honey have really been 4 TABLEspoons of honey, three times as much as I've logged.

Knowledge is power but in this case it's a real facer. Gonna consider going back to my cider vinegar, hot water, collagen protein and 1 TBSP honey breakfast drink then switch to good ol' H20 for the rest of the morning.
    Fooey.

Only through pg 49 but had to post this and get it off my belly, uh, er, chest ;)

pip "fired the gm" K-Rap! Yep that's one of the things, it means: OT instead of gym :sad: :'(
    Lanette, sorry you have me confused with someone who is succeeding at low carbs. Wish it were me but alas I'm so sweet addicted... :astonished:
    Allie have you given Alfie a Kong filled with melted cheese or peanut butter? Is he already crate trained? If not, putting him in one will be perceived as punishment. Better to start with the door open and yummy treats hidden inside. When he willingly goes in, give him lots of praise. Sorry to preach, you probably have all this down already ;)
    CJ and Mary (((hugs)))
    Rita your day trip to area 51 sounds great... except for the "ET" burgers :sick:
    Rebecca you look remarkably radiant for the ordeal you've been through. Brava for knowing your body well enough to talk the nurse through scar tissue to vein. :noway::sick: blearg.
    Machka your title to the beautiful beach pic brought tears. Continued intentions of healing and strength to you both.

welcome papisgrl, Susi from WA.

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 15/18, meditate 10/18, walk one more step 10/18, knee exercises 10/18, walk Tumble 9/12 times, SWSY 0/6, hang up or purge art 0/1
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,427 Member
    Options
    Heather - love the pix of the kids playing and your DH in the thick of it, lol. What fun you have brought into his life! I bet once you get moved into the house you'll find a lot of pleasant surprises too. You are right, furnishings are small problems.

Barbara AHMOD - well durn it, I can't read. My brain keep seeing your 60 gm protein as 60 gm carbs! LOL. Keep attacking those sugar carbs!! I would love to use honey but it's so thick that anything I pour out is automatically 1 tablespoon, lol. I use pure maple syrup - it's thinner and easier to measure, plus it was a gift from my sis in Indiana and she is familiar with the Amish family that cooks it down and bottles it. Nothing imitation. When I run out maybe I'll have to dip a toothpick in the honey.

OK I need advice on composite decking. The guy who was going to redo our deck with pressure treated cedar 2 x 4's (actually replace most of them which are rotted) is suggesting we go with composite like Trex. He said his neighbor can get a good deal on them. Been looking online... some brands are cheaply made and deteriorate and/or fade in a few years of hot sun. And I'm hearing they can get quite hot in the summer - hot for our feet and the dogs as well. The deck is on the south side of the house which bakes all summer in reflected heat from our light yellow house too. Our back door is at least 3' off the ground so we need the deck and a series of steps to get to land, lol.

Experience? Recommendations? Brands to watch out for? TIA!

Got the doggies home from the groomer. Our older dog is in GREAT shape thanks to the exercise she's now getting playing with the Rosie. Rosie got a thumbs up for losing a little weight. She was doing well on her morning walks and now refuses to go on them. Not sure what has changed her mind, she didn't have anything scary happen. I have a hunch she'd rather stay in the yard and look for rabbit doo to eat. B):#

Have a good Thursday!

Lanette
    Cool SW WA State
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,811 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Heather - love the pix of the kids playing and your DH in the thick of it, lol. What fun you have brought into his life! I bet once you get moved into the house you'll find a lot of pleasant surprises too. You are right, furnishings are small problems.

Barbara AHMOD - well durn it, I can't read. My brain keep seeing your 60 gm protein as 60 gm carbs! LOL. Keep attacking those sugar carbs!! I would love to use honey but it's so thick that anything I pour out is automatically 1 tablespoon, lol. I use pure maple syrup - it's thinner and easier to measure, plus it was a gift from my sis in Indiana and she is familiar with the Amish family that cooks it down and bottles it. Nothing imitation. When I run out maybe I'll have to dip a toothpick in the honey.

OK I need advice on composite decking. The guy who was going to redo our deck with pressure treated cedar 2 x 4's (actually replace most of them which are rotted) is suggesting we go with composite like Trex. He said his neighbor can get a good deal on them. Been looking online... some brands are cheaply made and deteriorate and/or fade in a few years of hot sun. And I'm hearing they can get quite hot in the summer - hot for our feet and the dogs as well. The deck is on the south side of the house which bakes all summer in reflected heat from our light yellow house too. Our back door is at least 3' off the ground so we need the deck and a series of steps to get to land, lol.

Experience? Recommendations? Brands to watch out for? TIA!

Got the doggies home from the groomer. Our older dog is in GREAT shape thanks to the exercise she's now getting playing with the Rosie. Rosie got a thumbs up for losing a little weight. She was doing well on her morning walks and now refuses to go on them. Not sure what has changed her mind, she didn't have anything scary happen. I have a hunch she'd rather stay in the yard and look for rabbit doo to eat. B):#

Have a good Thursday!

Lanette
    Cool SW WA State

I personally have preferred wood. Friends of mine that have the composite I found burned my feet and they had a south facing deck. I for one wouldn't have it myself, although my husband wants it for our next deck.... this may be a battle :)

Tracey in Edmonton
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    [
    I personally have preferred wood. Friends of mine that have the composite I found burned my feet and they had a south facing deck. I for one wouldn't have it myself, although my husband wants it for our next deck.... this may be a battle :)

Tracey in Edmonton

Tracey - do you recall what color that hot composite deck was?

Lanette

• SophieRosieMom
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »

Thanks Carol - I see our local Home Depot sells Trex so will stop in. This information you shared was great - no pop-ups. I can't stand Home Depot's busy website - takes forever to load and we are on a high speed network.

Lanette
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,811 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    [

Tracey in Edmonton

Tracey - do you recall what color that hot composite deck was?

Lanette

It was a light grey colour.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Allie-- That is a great gift. I have a bear made out of my mom's pj's and I get comfort from having that. The bear has a bow around the neck with picture of mom and a poem.
    NYKaren--we put mothballs around the outside of our house a couple times a year and they keep ant, spiders, everything out of the house. First couple days can smell them, but not after that.
    Janetr--I really like that quote and I am going to work on just being the best me I can be each day. Thanks, I needed that more then you know.
    Margaret--Good for DH the hero.
    Short day today so get home and enjoy some alone time, before DH and DBIL get home.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE