Less Alcohol- July 2018- One Day at a Time

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    @erikNJ I was just thinking about you and your post appeared. Sounds like the ball game was a great time and without beer, no bloating or munchies. I hope you ate an extra hot dog!
  • RubyRed427
    @salleewins Thanks for your message. I agree. Let's all be kind to ourselves. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    @lorrainequiche59 Thank you, my friend.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Last night, I reached out to a friend who is an addiction counselor. I called him crying and said i need you. We talked for a half hour and today I'm meeting him to talk. I think his presence in my life will be helpful. He's taking me to my first AA meeting - I know some people love it and some people don't , but it may be the hope I need. I don't want to live always teetering on the edge.
    P.s. My friend says it takes 3 days for alcohol to leave the system. So, that's good news. i always thought it was ten days.
    @ErynVee great weekend for you! Like someone on our thread says, you are exercising your will power muscle.
    @snoo61 Great job ! You set a goal and was under it. And you probably slept soooo well. Xo

Good for you! I'm impressed with your courage. Let the adventure begin! :)
  • RubyRed427
    @Ke22yB Great post! I appreciate it. And yes, I am the first to read something and think oh, dear that's not a good sign. BUT I also feel that each one of us knows deep inside the truth- either we are or are not an alcoholic. I know I am one.

I've even told several friends over the years that I think I'm an alcoholic- but they say to me, "oh no, you're not! just drink water between your drinks. Just set a firm limit- only two drinks. OR You dont drink in the morning, so you must not be an alcoholic ." People mean well, but it didn't do me well to hear those type of affirmations from friends. Because deep down inside, we all know if we are or not.

That was a sad, funny joke - even though you probably didnt laugh at the time. It hurt.
    Thanks for your post; it means a lot to me.
  • RubyRed427
    @donimfp I read his book and am nearly done. He makes good sense. I will re-read too. Because I tend to rush to get to the point and miss some good nuggets of information.

Excellent metaphor with the prison and poison message.
  • RubyRed427
    For July, (and probably August), I want to start drinking only on weekends, and only 6 drinks a day then. Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday, all three if it's an especially rough week. :# I hope I'm not too late to join this thread, but I could use the support.
    I am... not so good at the moderation thing. For a couple of months I was drinking 10 shots of vodka a day and not eating much. Good weight loss strategy but people do tend to worry, LOL.
    As today is Monday, that means no alcohol for 4-5 days, starting today... woo. Psyched. Not really.

Welcome to our thread! Post whenever you want and let us know how you're doing. Also, look at our first page on this July thread for awesome list of helpful hints/topics of interest. Our friend @NovusDies synthesized many of our posters ideas into a brilliant document.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    @JulieAL1969 - thinking of you and sorry you're struggling. You have helped so many people here, including me. SO appreciate you and wishing the very best for you!
  • RubyRed427
    @kittybenn Thanks, you've been with me and the others from the start. You are always an inspiration.
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Just popped in to read the latest updates. @JulieAL1969 You are showing enormous strength by reaching out for help, and by acknowledging the problem you are going to fix. You are in my thoughts!
  • RubyRed427
    Just popped in to read the latest updates. @JulieAL1969 You are showing enormous strength by reaching out for help, and by acknowledging the problem you are going to fix. You are in my thoughts!

Thank you so much. I really value your kind words. Xo
  • snoo61
    For July, (and probably August), I want to start drinking only on weekends, and only 6 drinks a day then. Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday, all three if it's an especially rough week. :# I hope I'm not too late to join this thread, but I could use the support.
    I am... not so good at the moderation thing. For a couple of months I was drinking 10 shots of vodka a day and not eating much. Good weight loss strategy but people do tend to worry, LOL.
    As today is Monday, that means no alcohol for 4-5 days, starting today... woo. Psyched. Not really.

Welcome, you'll find a lot of support and information here. Its a great group of people.
  • snoo61
    Yesterday was my day 1:)

Congratulations! Check out the first page of this thread for information that NovusDies compiled from previous months. You'll find a lot of support here. Check in whenever you can.