Less Alcohol- July 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Heyooo, I made it through the day without drinking!
    I actually went as far as pouring myself a drink (okay, it was 4 shots of tequila) but then I remembered that I *kitten* hate tequila. And I thought, I don't have to do this. I don't want to be dependent.
    Poured down the drain.

@SoulOfRusalka Wow, that is freaking awesome!!

You are so strong!

I hope you remember that when you feel "the sun over the yardarm".
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969

You must have really been feeling helpless to reach out like that.

Not sure if Kelly was implying he thought the AA meeting was a bad idea for you, but I think it is.

Or rather, I think it would be a bad idea for *me*. :smiley: AA teaches you to seek strength in a higher power, which wouldn't work for me. I believe *kitten* happens, and that's OK.

But AA may help *you*! x I'm just glad your friend gave you some hope.

I think it's long overdue for me to tell you I love seeing you in all my favourite threads being so insightful, kind, creative, consistent, thoughtful, intelligent, caring, and all-around wonderful. :heart:

You have some "bad days", but have a very sensitive reaction to one day of drinking. Overall, it seems you can go without for many days, drink once, then go straight back to AF. Maybe you're being too hard on yourself, a bit perfectionist, for want of a less negative word? Has anyone you know said that about you?
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Heyooo, I made it through the day without drinking!
    I actually went as far as pouring myself a drink (okay, it was 4 shots of tequila) but then I remembered that I *kitten* hate tequila. And I thought, I don't have to do this. I don't want to be dependent.
    Poured down the drain.
    Omg, you are so strong, well done you.
    The future looks good
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @erikNJ, I totally get your points. And while I came to MFP originally because I wanted to lose some weight, I do not struggle with what I would consider food addictions. I also realize that those who do have that struggle have an added challenge because you can't simply stop eating food like you can stop drinking alcohol. On the other hand . . . to @JenT304's point, there aren't many songs and movies and TV shows that actually glorify stuffing your face with food. My original post started because I was struck by the godlike status afforded alcohol in that remodeled restaurant. A backlit bag of Cheetos or even a nice piece of cake, just wouldn't have the same effect as those gorgeous alcohol bottles.

I don't mean to minimize anyone's struggle with anything. And I'm absolutely sure you're right that my conscious struggle with alcohol makes me more aware of the omnipresent suggestions that it is what makes the world go 'round and adds "glamour" to life.

By the way, @erikNJ, your baseball post has me anticipating my first AF Astros game in September.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @JulieAL1969

You must have really been feeling helpless to reach out like that.

Not sure if Kelly was implying he thought the AA meeting was a bad idea for you, but I think it is.

Or rather, I think it would be a bad idea for *me*. :smiley: AA teaches you to seek strength in a higher power, which wouldn't work for me. I believe *kitten* happens, and that's OK.

But AA may help *you*! x I'm just glad your friend gave you some hope.

I think it's long overdue for me to tell you I love seeing you in all my favourite threads being so insightful, kind, creative, consistent, thoughtful, intelligent, caring, and all-around wonderful. :heart:

You have some "bad days", but have a very sensitive reaction to one day of drinking. Overall, it seems you can go without for many days, drink once, then go straight back to AF. Maybe you're being too hard on yourself, a bit perfectionist, for want of a less negative word? Has anyone you know said that about you?

I don't like the higher power model, either. I have trouble with that in ED treatment, too-- admitting that you're powerless over your addiction just seems really counterproductive to me. And I have a relationship with my higher power, but I believe she wants me to figure *kitten* out on my own. If all I had to do was ask for help, what would be the point?
    Sorry, might be rambling a little.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    @donimfp I do agree with the point about songs glorifying alcohol and not food. Whether it’s a party song or sad song, that is often true.
    TV shows I will argue against. Man vs Food is literally a show about people eating such disgusting amounts of foods that they often throw up. And there are more than one tv networks dedicated to food, but not one for alcohol. Although alcohol does get glorified on regular sitcoms and dramas. Especially dramas

Your backlit bag of Cheetos comment literally had me laughing out loud. Hahaha

The baseball game was so glorious. Just relaxing and exciting. And a bonus while alcohol free. I am jonesing to get to another now. May go in a few weeks for my birthday
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Apparently I am the only person with a back lit bag of Cheetos on display in my home :)

I went to find an image that I had seen before, of a cheeto art exhibit - and the first one that comes up:

cheeto-covered-the-cocktail.jpg

Is actually called Cheeto Cocktail Hour. How ironic is that...
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Apparently I am the only person with a back lit bag of Cheetos on display in my home :)

I went to find an image that I had seen before, of a cheeto art exhibit - and the first one that comes up:

cheeto-covered-the-cocktail.jpg

Is actually called Cheeto Cocktail Hour. How ironic is that...

Ha ha ha! That is amazing that this exists!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,170 Member
    Options
    @salleewins Wow! You are amazing and an inspiration. Big hugs!
  • LC0924
    LC0924 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hello, beautiful people! I have sucked pretty badly at checking in - both because life has been busy and also probably because I have been less than stellar at sticking to my goals. In any case, today is a new day, and I am grateful for all of you (and the 300+ posts I am going to try to catch up on!) :)
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 AA was never for me as a grouchy old man I tend to keep to myself IRL. However two people very near and dear to me have been going to meetings and been AF, one over 20 years now. I have tried to change opinions and to no avail they are steadfast supporters of the program. I have the big book for close to 10 years without really looking at it. Whether it is for you or not I cant say but if you decide with an open mind to apply yourself to working the program I can say I have seen success achieved.