WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2018

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Machka I wish the people you are trying to coordinate could be easier to work with. You have so many balls in the air that it is more than enough. The fact you even were able to give them three dates to chose from is amazing. Maybe they typically deal with only retired people who are not busy. I would like to know where they are too. It is frustrating they didn't just pick a date without having you to explain yourself.

I Know when I try to coordinate with more than one friend and sometimes just with one friend how difficult that can be. I had one retired friend who had to pencil me in a month and a half in advance. When the day came she said she had to babysit. Then she changed her mind and we got together for 45 minutes before she had to go. Amazingly we are still friends. She is one who has a hard time saying NO! We now go to exercise 2-3 days a week. She doesn't drive so I pick her up. She is right on the way so it works out just fine. She has had me over for brunches and tea so it is a give and take relationship.

Being respectful of yours and others time is a hallmark of being a good friend. It is something I work on because I am one who does have trouble pacing myself, too.

:heart: Margaret

My impression is that they work with a lot of retired people who have daughters (usually) or sons with them, and my impression is that the daughters who accompany their parents to rehab either don't work or work part-time.

When they were getting ready to send my husband home, they talked to us like he would be going to his home, his this, his that, etc. etc., like I didn't live there too. I had to emphasise many times that it's MY home. Then the whole process of getting a homecare worker for my husband started with the Rehab people being surprised ... why on earth couldn't I do it?

So I don't think they encounter our situation very often.

M in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    <3
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I still check in now and again. Sad to say I gained 50 pounds through everything that happened the last 2 years with all that went on. Shouldn’t have let it but I did.... so now weigh more than ever and now that DH is home every night, we y’all can just imagine. Hi to old friends and new.... Re I am so terribly sorry. My heart truly breaks....
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options

Did Brenadette Giorgi’s Just B Live Foam Roller DVD. I tell you, at times I went “you HAVE got to be kidding”. It was basically pilates on the foam roller. You know the pilates move where you put your legs over your head and use your abs to raise and lower your legs? Well, she did that one on the foam roller. To me, it was just enough to stay on the foam roller without my feet on the ground, much less having them over my head. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Kathy Smith pilates for the lower body and abs DVD.

M – (REAL BIG HUG). Talk about a lot on your plate! I think you’re handling this superbly.

Rebecca – thanks for the smile. I know I can always count on you.

Kymari – I do have plastic covers, but on top of that I have a mattress pad so if you’re laying in bed you aren’t laying on plastic yet the mattress is protected from things like this (urine).

I’ve been wondering about Penny, too

Katla – I don’t think they’re marking territory. It just doesn’t make sense that they would repeatedly mark, even after 7 years.

Dana – all our cats are declawed in the front. I know that some people find this offensive, but our first cat was declawed and could he ever run up a tree! He caught mice, birds (and brought them into the house), rabbits, unfortunately skunks. We have one BIG litter box. Vince made it with an opening on the side because at the time one of our cats had a problem, he just didn’t make it into the litter box to pee. Well, by having the opening on the side, he was forced to go in and turn. Never had a problem since then. Anyway, never had a problem with all the cats using the same litter box. We have one downstairs, too. I know that the rule is that you should have one more litter box than you have cats, but that’d mean we’d have 5 litter boxes! If we keep the doors to the bedrooms closed, no problem at all. The type of litter hasn’t changed. I don’t use the clay litter, I use the clumping brand. Have for years, never a problem there.

Pat – I went thru a lot of my cookbooks and copied the recipes I wanted to the computer. Jessica wanted the cookbooks. I bet that eventually she gets rid of them.

Beth – yuk – sugar on ice cream! Only good thoughts for you and your son.

Terry in VT – Vince had WPW, so I know kind-of what you’re going thru with your hubby’s heart problems. For years and years he’d been taking Rhythmol, but suddenly it stopped working. He had an ablation because there really wasn’t any option. But since the ablation, no problem.

Rori –I’m SOO SOO jealous that you’re getting golden beets. One vendor at the farmer’s market said that his should be in in late August. I’m REALLY looking forward to it. Take care of your back, sweetie. Love your smile!

I think I’ll just spend some time with Shadow but spend the night with Vince. We’ll see how that goes.

Michele in NC
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Terry with pretty jewelry.... first day in ? Maybe 3... weeks no rain.... thank the heavens as friend’s daughter and family home for annual visit from long term professional assignment in Kazakhstan and were able to attend a cookout in their honor...
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    I'm home and in bed..the Lion King was just fabulous.and both my girls enjoyed it alot...I did to but I'm tuckered.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    The crafty lady came for the embroidery. :D Unfortunately she was 6 minutes early, so I wasn't quite dressed. DH handed her the bag I had placed by the door. I would have liked to have a quick chat with her, but I was half naked! Anyway, I'm so glad it's gone to a good home.

Still hot here. Spending a lot of time indoors, which is great for my decluttering purge. Will do some recumbent bike this afternoon with the fan on and something on the tablet. Our iplayer (BBC) is free.

Lovely to hear from you Penny. :D<3 It was really hot for us in the north of Sweden. Lots of fires. Your photo looks idyllic.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3
  • kymarai
    Options
    Lovely Sunday!
    It has been a whirlwind week here. Decluttering took a break as I have been exhausted. We had really good luck at the rod show. Got quite a few things for the Model A and got to see lots of cars. The only downside was me....I had pulled a muscle in my back on Wednesday and it wasn't happy on Thursday after walking lots. I am pretty sure I was also dehydrated-grumble. I drank 40 oz of water on the way home and only had to stop once. I really have got to work on drinking water! We had to stop and let me rest 3 times heading back to the truck.....I even know better.....Something in my head just hates to take the time for nature apparently. Maybe it goes back to the school days, when there just wasn't time to go between classes and I didn't want to have to get a pass during class as I might miss something important.....I will leave that thought with the head doctors ;)

My oldest granddaughter didn't make it onto the high school soccer team. She enjoys the game but said she didn't have the same level of ball control the other girls had. Most of them have been on competition teams for years while she has been in recreational leagues. Competition leagues are stupidly expensive! Her lesson learned was that she has to work at something if she wants it. She said track is coming up, so she plans on running. I reckon I need to take my advice to her, and get off my @$$ and get some exercise going.

Went to youngest grandson's first football game yesterday. It was fun, but there was a big difference in their team and the team they played in maturity levels. We are talking 5th graders...The other team might as well have been a college team. We will probably go see him play next Sunday here at home, but then doubt we will get to too many more. I try to make at least one or two of each of the grands' activities a year. Working Saturdays makes that difficult.

Heading to a car show today. We enjoy this one. The folks that put it on are wonderful and the food is good. This is also a charity show, so $ gets spent. I should go get the car ready. ;) DH does most of the pre-show work, but misses the details. I do most of the at show work while he socializes. It gives me something to do.

I am reading and cheering and crying and hugging you all! I love the pictures! You all look great!

Family gatherings/social events....I use to be good at them, but these days, seem to prefer less crowds. I can be vivacious at times, but need to find quiet space sometimes.

Machka I am PROUD of YOU! Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and be firm! The sad part is they should be listening to begin with....You are an amazing woman!

I had better get this day on the go! Have a blessed one with the best decisions you can make today.

<3
    Kylia in ever so busy Ohio
  • Machka9
    Options
    Sunday -- another active day ...

I ran while my husband walked. He covered about 0.8 km and I ran just over 2 km ...

Run
    Distance: 2.12 km
    Elevation: 16 m
    Moving Time: 16:24
    Elapsed Time: 16:54
    Pace: 7:43/km

Then we walked together ...

Walk
    Distance: 1.04 km
    Elevation 7m
    Moving Time: 19:52
    Elapsed Time 21:48
    Pace: 19:01/km

Later ... after a rest, and a time where I got some of my homework done, we did a ride with Zwift. My husband rode 1 lap and I rode 2 ...

Ride
    Distance: 21.63 km
    Elevation: 124m
    Moving Time: 47:15
    Elapsed Time: 47:51

........................ Avg ............. Max
    Speed ............. 27.5km/h ....... 47.2km/h
    Heart Rate ...... 129bpm ......... 154bpm
    Cadence ......... 73 ................. 112
    Power ............ 105W ............ 253W

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Last Sunday was a hot day (Yep, heatwave here too. I think we hit 29C = 85F, which is unheard of in the High Arctic.) so I took a walk instead of jogging. A long walk. I ended up logging more than 30,000 steps, a half-marathon distance. I took this picture at the turning point.
    n3em7zeckavd.jpg

Gorgeous photo!
  • kymarai
    Options
    Lisa- Great advice. Also I am amazed that you pinpointed the source of your stress that broke the limit. I have a hard time identifying mine. I keep my work email pretty cleaned up. They get "filed" or deleted at least once a day. The files get emptied every six months, only keeping a years worth at a time. Anything older than that and it most likely got printed to keep, or is outdated. ;) Now my home email.....that one I try to check a couple of times a week. Lots of deleting with little filing, and almost no printing. I can't stand a full mailbox or voicemail.;) I love following your home adventure.

Kylia
  • kymarai
    Options
    Oh! And the how do you eat an elephant phrase...I have heard several times recently with regards to our Model A -LOL!
  • Machka9
    Options
    To you, and others who have said similar things ...
    kymarai wrote: »
    Machka I am PROUD of YOU! Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and be firm! The sad part is they should be listening to begin with....You are an amazing woman!

<3
    Kylia in ever so busy Ohio

Thank you!!

I'm actually surprising myself.

I used to be this person way, way back in my early 20s. I wouldn't stand for any rubbish. Then I mellowed a lot and for years, decades, I just went with the flow.

Now I find myself on the phone, yelling my head off, and wondering who on earth this person is!! Or typing the emails where I'm "laying down the law".

I didn't realise that this person still lurked within me!!

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Machka - You sound just like me! :D>:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx