Less Alcohol - August 2018 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    <3 And my Denver trip was great. I visited a lot of breweries and I didn’t get drunk. I had small sample pours of the beers I wanted to taste and enjoyed the town and live music at Red Rocks.
    And those beer samples tasted delicious! And that is the truth not me convincing myself ;)
    Glad you enjoyed your trip and those beers! I am eagerly awaiting the Oktoberfest batches myself.
    "snoo61 wrote:
    I've been feeling the same way. I loved this thread in the early months. Lately I just feel judged. I wish you success in your journey Eric, I love you too.
    I actually said this in my post earlier up-thread. I bowed out Feb/March as the tone was becoming too "preachish" and more like an AA thread. Thought I'd test the waters this month to see it's only continued further down that path.

That said, I’ve always kept a lower profile than most so my participation has been minimal at best.

I’m out as well after this post.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    **Removed so I can think about this some more now that @WinoGelato cross-posted with me.**
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Hello, I've been away for a few mths, nice to see a few oldies here.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Does anyone want to split this thread into those who are AF and those who are aiming to drink LESS?? That would certainly stop the "debate"...

I thought that all of us were free to express ourselves regardless of our goals. I cannot control what others express nor do I want to...I do not have to agree with anything that is said here, and there are times that I absolutely do not agree, nor do I need to take offense to what is said here. I can just ignore it. We all have that same option. Expressing what I believe doesn't mean I expect others to adopt my way of thinking, BUT being free to share what helps me, MAY help someone else with the same goal as me or vice versa. It isn't to be preachy. And I assume that is the same with ANYONE who is sharing on this site.

If it helps me to be AF thinking that alcohol is poison WHO CARES!! If someone who is moderating is uncomfortable & doesn't believe that or prefers to think otherwise that's OK!! You can think what you want...I can think what I want!! Another solution would be to only read the comments of those who are on the same page as you....don't read AF comments if you are trying to moderate....don't read moderating comments if you're trying to be AF....maybe that will help not be offended??

The thing is once we begin to critique each others' comments no matter which side we're sitting on, it is going to lose it's value. If a person is truly offended perhaps reaching out to the offender privately & discussing it in that way can free this thread up from debating the same thing over & over.

When I hear the comment that someone feels judged by the AF group, but not all in the AF group, it makes me wonder, am I one of the offenders?? I'd rather know straight out & not play the guessing game. So, PLEASE if I have offended ANYONE, message me. Let me KNOW so I can reassure you that I am NOT judging you or anyone else here. I have said several times how much this group has helped me to stick to my goal, but part of THAT is feeling free to express myself.

I really hope we are ALL able to continue to do that!!

AND I've likely cross-posted with someone because a few people have come on as I'm writing out my rambling musings!!! <3
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

In the meantime... don't forget to dance.

LOL...I DID not forget, but have postponed till NOW!! Just the motivation I need....I'm crankin' the tunes....No mental pics please...although if you must make it good LOL B)

• Ksandoval0401
    Ksandoval0401 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I have a personal challenge for everyone this week. At least 3 times this week turn on one of your favorite upbeat songs and dance. If, like me, you can't dance that well then dance awkwardly. Have yourself a 2-3 minute celebration whether you have a good reason or not. It doesn't matter if you do it alone or with someone else.

My kids and I do that sometimes. It's a huge stress reliever!
  • Ksandoval0401
    Ksandoval0401 Posts: 15 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    [/quote] When this group first got going earlier in the year I recall one of the members (not sure which one) who posted before and after selfies of drinking and not drinking - the difference was startling and frightening to see how much of an impact alcohol has on our outward appearance. [/quote]

I've been taking one per week myself. Already see a difference, it's very motivating
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Also I personally would like to drop the whole One Day at a Time title and make it "Our Less Alcohol Journey" and that encompasses us all.
  • forestdweller46
    forestdweller46 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Alli_11....some strategies I used successfully are changing locations when I feel tempted to drink, or continue to drink. Dine at a new place and order a fancy water and send the menu AND the wine list back when your order is taken. That way the waiter asks if you would care for another "fancy water" instead of another glass of vino.
    Pour your evening ration into a small decanter, and when it's done, you're done.
    Do not replenish your alcohol supply when it is exhausted. If the cellar is empty, pour yourself a soda.

There is nothing better than self control, and nothing harder to sustain when you have had a drink or two.

Said by someone who has pretended that the second decanter is a good idea, or who has left the house in 'jammies to go to the liquor store drive-in window.

Self-shame is never a good idea. The worse you feel about yourself, the easier it is to console your self with another drink. Just resolve to try again, starting NOW.

Oh, and just in case the "judgies" are hanging around, I HAVE NEVER driven after having even ONE drink.