August 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited August 2018
    Welcome @MaxT370. Gotta start somewhere. Just keep plugging away. You'll get there.

ETA: I started running about 6 years ago. Been running consistently the whole time, barring a month off each year due to some sort of lower leg injury. I think I started feeling a significant difference in the effort level required after about 3-4 months. But I am the type to always try and push too hard with every run, so I always felt I needed to improve pace every time. Learned (still learning) that you need to have mostly slow runs for training, and occasional speed work for your body to adapt.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Rest day today before a 7 mile run tomorrow morning.

I just wanted to throw out a couple questions to everyone....how long have you all been running on a consistent basis, and how long had you been running before you noticed a significant difference in your pace/consistency? (by that, I mean - you don't feel like every mile is a bear to run - not necessarily speed)

We made it to Friday! Yip Yip! :) Hope everyone has a lovely day!

I started running last summer, mostly took the winter off, and have run 3-4 times a week since the end of April this year. I’d say I was feeling that mile-by-mile struggle on and off until about a month ago when I stopped trying to run ten-minute miles and dropped back to 11-12 mpm. Other than the occasional tempo or fartlek run I’ve just focused on distance and have been a lot happier and more comfortable. My pace is slowly increasing but I’m still slower on average than I was running in June, and that is okay with me!
  • MaxT370
    MaxT370 Posts: 274 Member
    edited August 2018
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Welcome @MaxT370. Gotta start somewhere. Just keep plugging away. You'll get there.

Thank you! I'm not sure where to begin, if I can finish this 15k at all I will be pleased. I feel I should focus on endurance rather than speed right now. When the registration was happening it asked for pace and I picked the slowest possible which was I think 4.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Rest day today before a 7 mile run tomorrow morning.

I just wanted to throw out a couple questions to everyone....how long have you all been running on a consistent basis, and how long had you been running before you noticed a significant difference in your pace/consistency? (by that, I mean - you don't feel like every mile is a bear to run - not necessarily speed)

We made it to Friday! Yip Yip! :) Hope everyone has a lovely day!

I've either been running consistently or injured since August, 2011. After I became able to run for 30 minutes continually, the first mile was never a bear . . . until after I was able to run a marathon. Now, sometimes I just have to gut through that first mile till things feel right. This can be mitigated by extensive walking before I start running, but I don't always have the time for that.

Later miles were sometimes notably bearish until I learned to run easy in early 2014. I struggled with running slow enough to keep it easy for some time, didn't truly master that art until some time in 2015.

And even now, on the very humid days, every mile after the first hour can be a bear. This partly depends on how fast I run early. If my discipline for running easy is good, I can last longer than if I let myself run marathon pace early.

So, the generic advice to all new runners: If running every mile is a bear, you're probably running too fast. Slow down a little, maybe only 15 seconds a mile. It will make a big difference on your longer runs.

Controlling pace is a whole other topic; I didn't start to get good at that until 2015, and it's still a work in progress.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,237 Member
    Intended to run this morning - but my lower back is screaming at me. Not sure the cause - just hope it goes away!

June goal - 44 miles - done
    July goal - 52 miles - done
    August goal - 57 miles

Next race: Sept. 30 - Wineglass, Corning

@RunnerGrl1982 " I just wanted to throw out a couple questions to everyone....how long have you all been running on a consistent basis, and how long had you been running before you noticed a significant difference in your pace/consistency? (by that, I mean - you don't feel like every mile is a bear to run - not necessarily speed)"

I started running when I turned 50. I never ran - "hated" running - not even sure why I decided to begin. At the Y one day, a guy came up and said "I've been watching you - run fast - walk - run fast - walk. I'm going to give you some advice. Slow down and you'll be amazed how far you can go." I took his advice and he was right. The only trouble is, I do believe I've trained myself to run slow now. Also - I clearly remember the first time I ran one mile without having to stop - and it felt amazing! Very empowering. I also learned the first mile is the hardest - after that everything settled in and I could go 7 or 8 miles before needing a walk break. The trouble is, I started doing a regular run/walk pattern about two years ago and honestly it's made running harder. Yes, I can go long distances, but running a mile without having to stop almost never happens anymore.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    No run... car crash instead. Rather be running for sure, but no injuries to any peoples, just cars. Now to do the insurance dance... yay!

(Other driver just decide to pull into traffic despite the fact I was already there. Got the whole thing on my dash cam, not that it matters, its a no-fault state)

Oh no! That's not good. Glad to hear you are OK. So frustrating. What does no fault state mean? Does it just mean your insurance pays your bill and sorts it out with theirs?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Hey all. Another day on ice. I continue to get better, down to an annoying niggle now! But still annoying. I'm definitely on track to start back again Monday (Saturday today).

So in my research into the cause I found it's likely to have been overdoing it. Still a possibility its shoe related so in a couple of weeks when I'm in the city I'm going to get fitted properly. It could also be due to not warming up properly. I did several runs that week with just a short 5min walk to warm up. All my runs were over 5k. So got me thinking and looking at warmup options.

What do you guys do for a warm up and how much of a difference do you notice?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    MaxT370 wrote: »
    Running newbie over here! Found this group a little late into the month but that's okay. I'm going to aim for 3 to 4 miles. That seems low but I think it's a good place to start. I've gone off the deep end and registered myself for the 2018 hot chocolate 15k in November.
    MaxT370 wrote: »
    Scott6255 wrote: »

Thank you! I'm not sure where to begin, if I can finish this 15k at all I will be pleased. I feel I should focus on endurance rather than speed right now. When the registration was happening it asked for pace and I picked the slowest possible which was I think 4.

Welcome! I've been running for about a year now and can definitely say firsthand that Run Slower is the best advice for improving and enjoying your running. A lot of people use couch to 5k programs with a lot of success - I looked at a couple but they all called for longer workouts than I was up for at that time, so I just ran until my legs hurt, walked until they stopped hurting, and kept that up until I wasn't walking much anymore. Twice since then I've had to dial back the speed and both times it made a huge difference in my endurance and enjoyment (time number two was about a month ago), so definitely don't worry about speed right now.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    No run... car crash instead. Rather be running for sure, but no injuries to any peoples, just cars. Now to do the insurance dance... yay!

(Other driver just decide to pull into traffic despite the fact I was already there. Got the whole thing on my dash cam, not that it matters, its a no-fault state)

Oh no! That's not good. Glad to hear you are OK. So frustrating. What does no fault state mean? Does it just mean your insurance pays your bill and sorts it out with theirs?

Honestly, I am not real sure, about to find out I guess!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,408 Member
    garygse wrote: »
    So I was in bed before 6pm last night in order to be up at 1am. Managed to get to work by 1:30am to start my run, and boy was it humid! We'd had a storm the night before, which usually clears the air some, but it felt even worse than normal. I didn't realize just how much I was sweating until I could hear my feet squelching. Still, managed to get a full marathon distance in in a decent time, and be back at my desk showered and ready for work by 6:30am.

WOW!!! Just WOW!!!

@PastorVincent Sorry to hear about your car accident. That is always such a gut-wrenching ordeal. :'(
  • kcs76
    kcs76 Posts: 244 Member
    @_nikkiwolf_ thanks for the info! While I have a smart watch now that....kinda works...I'm saving my pennies for a Garmin. I'm thinking Stava might communicate a little better with it.

@PastorVincent I'm glad that no one was hurt!! I still don't understand "no fault" here in PA.