The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• Alendralouise
    Alendralouise Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi all, my 39th birthday is approaching and all I can feel is immense gratitude for my fit, fully-functioning, joyful body that enables me to do the sport I love. I’m increasingly aware of how lucky I am.
    This time next year, I’ll be setting off to Montreal to compete in the Olympic Weightlifting World Championships. I can’t imagine a better way to mark turning 40: to celebrate that I’m able simply to turn up to an international competition in a beautiful country far from my homeland, along with fellow sportspeople from around the globe, and that my body is even able to try. There’s no chance I’ll place as I’m a late starter, but I really will feel like I’ve won purely by getting onto that platform. I can’t believe I’ve got this far, let alone qualifying for international competitions.
    I had been through a lot in terms of food/exercise struggles until I picked up a barbell for the first time nearly two years ago. I finally found my sport. Olympic weightlifting is a celebration of what my body can do, and food is the fuel. I still give in to the leopard within who demands extra feeding from time to time, but overall I have found balance.
    I am delighted with my age and stage in life, and can’t wait to train tonight.
    I hope you’re all having a great day and that you can celebrate your awesomeness in your own wild and wonderful ways 💖
    This is a lovely space for us wise ones 😘
    Alexandra
  • Alendralouise
    Options
    I’m 36 y/o and owe my 12.8kg (28lb) weight loss (so far…) to a combination of calisthenics, intermittent fasting, and a considerable amount of discipline! Since January this year I’ve gone from 93.7kg to 80.9kg, and feel mentally and physically stronger than ever before, but my fitness journey is only beginning! Let’s support each other on our journeys to becoming the best version of ourselves. If you’re serious about your journey, feel free to add me.

Remember folks... “There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” – Ernest Hemingway

@michaelcronje
    Great work 👏🏽👍🏽🙌🏽👌🏽 And I really love that quote!

• RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hello Friday, where have you been? I've missed you. I hope you all have a fantastic and wonderful weekend.

Slowly very s-l-o-w-l-y working on getting back into running. 1.8 today. (trying to increase only 10% per week seems so miniscule) I want.. no... I WILL do the Holiday Streak this year , and I will CRUSH it. But in order to do that, seeing as how I'm not a youngster (in body), I know I need to go into this smartly!

Thought of the Day: Your Goals, it doesn't matter how good others already are at what you are trying to achieve... compare yourself only to yourself.
  • Alendralouise
    Options
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    Hello Friday, where have you been? I've missed you. I hope you all have a fantastic and wonderful weekend.

Slowly very s-l-o-w-l-y working on getting back into running. 1.8 today. (trying to increase only 10% per week seems so miniscule) I want.. no... I WILL do the Holiday Streak this year , and I will CRUSH it. But in order to do that, seeing as how I'm not a youngster (in body), I know I need to go into this smartly!

Thought of the Day: Your Goals, it doesn't matter how good others already are at what you are trying to achieve... compare yourself only to yourself.

Fantastic you’re getting back into it!
    Couldn’t agree more. Comparison to others is the thief of joy! Have a great weekend too.
  • striderb
    striderb Posts: 5,845 Member
    Options
    I think I need to start a 60s group. There are some of us that use MFP.
  • FatCrankyGoat
    FatCrankyGoat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ayresome75 wrote: »
    Tisha247 wrote: »
    I think what sucks about aging is everyone's assumption that you want to be younger or look younger. I'm 43 and loving it!

This! ^^

Totally agree - I'm 51 and have no desire to go back on the clock ... but wouldn't mind keeping it where it is for as long as I can ;)
  • crymil1227
    crymil1227 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone! I have to work this weekend so no fun plans but that is okay. I tend to stay on plan better when I work! I hope everyone enjoys their weekends!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    striderb wrote: »

Go for it, @striderb . I'm in.

There is this thread going right now. I'm trying to keep it active.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683356/50-somethings/p1

There is this over 50 group as well. I need to post there more often myself.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group

• beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    striderb wrote: »

Go for it, @striderb . I'm in.

There is this thread going right now. I'm trying to keep it active.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683356/50-somethings/p1

There is this over 50 group as well. I need to post there more often myself.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group

I'm 56, so I'll try to chime in on each of these as well!

• Cardioguy81
    Cardioguy81 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    6.5 mile run on this hot humid night...ready for the weekend...
  • Barbell_Princ3ss
    Barbell_Princ3ss Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Introducing myself! Upper 30s - looking for support with strength training mostly, right now. :) but all positive vibes are welcomed!
  • cwbama79
    cwbama79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What's up?Add away😆
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    It's the weekend!!!! Yay for weekends
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    5h3hyh6ywmjn.jpeg
    Hi middle agers, I went for a lovely long walk along this beach today. Hope you’re all getting out there and enjoying the great outdoors!
  • mckee674
    mckee674 Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi guys, its great to see so many members here who are the same age group as me. I'm in the 40's age range, and I need to get my healthy life style back on track after about 15 years of a downward spiral.

I have no excuse, I own a treadmill, I have a spaniel dog who is constantly full of energy, I have access to a gym at work, I have a supportive wife, the only thing I don't have is motivation and a good network of like minded friends.

It would be great to make friends on here and share the cheers and tears of this journey to get body from its current Peter Kay state back to its original Peter Andre one (or close enough). It will take time I know, but with good advice and support I'm ready to start today. I am currently in Wiltshire, UK, so any advice of shops to visit, outdoor areas to run, or food to buy to lose the pounds would be a great help.

Please feel free to add me as a friend, it would be appreciated, and together we will rule the galaxy har har har, sorry I digress; together we will get ourselves back in shape.

Duncan :)

P.S. I am also now on Garmin Connect if there is anyone who would also like to connect on there too.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your Saturday peeps!
  • mckee674
    mckee674 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well guys, heres todays plan.

1. Get up early each day, enjoy the morning and stop being lazy. Sundays excluded of course. "DONE"
    2. Become a member of MyFitnessPal. "DONE"
    3. Make new friends. "DONE" I have one already...whoop whoop....!!!!!
    3. Have a healthy breakfast, hopefully it will be filling enough and I won't need to snack.
    4. Stay positive, its only day one "All great journeys begin with a single step" Lao Tzu.

All good so far. So why do I feel worried :|
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    mckee674 wrote: »
    Hi guys, its great to see so many members here who are the same age group as me. I'm in the 40's age range, and I need to get my healthy life style back on track after about 15 years of a downward spiral.

I have no excuse, I own a treadmill, I have a spaniel dog who is constantly full of energy, I have access to a gym at work, I have a supportive wife, the only thing I don't have is motivation and a good network of like minded friends.

It would be great to make friends on here and share the cheers and tears of this journey to get body from its current Peter Kay state back to its original Peter Andre one (or close enough). It will take time I know, but with good advice and support I'm ready to start today. I am currently in Wiltshire, UK, so any advice of shops to visit, outdoor areas to run, or food to buy to lose the pounds would be a great help.

Please feel free to add me as a friend, it would be appreciated, and together we will rule the galaxy har har har, sorry I digress; together we will get ourselves back in shape.

Duncan :)

P.S. I am also now on Garmin Connect if there is anyone who would also like to connect on there too.

Hi Duncan, welcome. Ummm I already took over
    a lot of the southern hemisphere 🤣
    I did leave a few countries for you up north🤪
  • rhidian7
    rhidian7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey all, 39 from Cambridge, UK. I've just finished my first week of a weights plan, my legs are not happy 🤣.
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday to all you M agers. I missed checking in for few day. I hope you all enjoy your weekend .Stay on track . Good luck all