August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I was planning a run, but with air temp at 88F and humidity on the rise, dew point in the 70s... thinking of a rest day.

By the time I get out of work and go run, it is supposed to be 91F, heat index 102F, and dew point 74F. I'm going to do what I can regardless, but it will likely be pretty slow. I think I prefer today's forecast over tomorrow (hot and raining).

95 here, real feel 100, dew point 70. Had a big cookie. Settling in for a couch nap. I'm sore from yesterday's run. You enjoy it out there @midwesterner85 😉 stay hydrated.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I was planning a run, but with air temp at 88F and humidity on the rise, dew point in the 70s... thinking of a rest day.

By the time I get out of work and go run, it is supposed to be 91F, heat index 102F, and dew point 74F. I'm going to do what I can regardless, but it will likely be pretty slow. I think I prefer today's forecast over tomorrow (hot and raining).

95 here, real feel 100, dew point 70. Had a big cookie. Settling in for a couch nap. I'm sore from yesterday's run. You enjoy it out there @midwesterner85 😉 stay hydrated.

We broke 100 here too... unless temp really drops soon, today will be a cookies and ice cream day instead of a run day :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'm noticing a little bit of a theme on the running funk.

Thought one. Are we overlooking the importance of cut back weeks?

Thought two. Are our expectations misaligned with our perceived realities?

Thought three. There's something for staying the straight and narrow, but life warrants balance. Is your diet too strict? Are you feeding yourself subpar food?

Something that stuck with me in the reply quoting Jeff Gaudette. ( @rusgolden i think. Or maybe kevin?). Reward yourself with good food choices. Ugh. Ya, that salad/healthier choice is not punishment. Ok. I did let myself have a cookie, again. But i di'ent buy 5 of them. Only one. And a bag of chips. 😊 And half an aspertame free diet soda.

Thought four. Run and train to manage stress. Not create it.

Thought five. This group pushes us further that we could push ourselves. That's good. Just remember to respect the rest and recovery process. Be patient.

If i go back and reread something i shared as if I'm reading a post from another. 98% of the time, i can see that its not as complicated as i made it out to be.
    Simply. Root cause analysis. Self parent. Lift someone up.

All of this. <3<3<3
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    8/1/18 2.65 miles
    8/2/18 3.1 miles
    8/3/18 3.1 miles
    8/4/18 10 miles
    8/5/18 2.7 miles

8/6/18 blood draw
    8/7/18 3.9 miles
    8/8/18 3.3 miles
    8/9/18 3.05 miles
    8/10/18 2.7 miles
    8/11/18 3 miles
    8/12/18 grieving

8/13/18 rest
    8/14/18 3.65 miles
    8/15/18 3.05 miles
    8/16/18 3.1 miles
    8/17/18 2.75 miles
    8/18/18 2.45 miles
    8/19/18 8 miles

8/20/18 3.25 miles
    8/21/18 4.3 miles
    8/22/18 3.6 miles
    8/23/18 rest
    8/24/18 3.2 miles
    8/25/18 rest
    8/26/18 8.25 miles

Total 83.1 /100-115

8.25 was supposed to be 14. I couldn't get myself to go any further. I had done my second loop and stopped at home for some Nuun performance. Walked the block, put my water bottle back and started to run again. I got about .25 in and I couldn't go any further. I think this might be the end of my marathon training. 3 attempts and no starts means it's not destined to be. I will probably drop down to the half.

@RunsOnEspresso

Hugs. What date is the event?

Looks like you were trying to go from a longest run of 8 up to 14. Tough ask.

I don't believe in destiny.

There are other marathons, or just run the distance when you've done the training.

I wouldn't let the date of one specific event stop me from achieving a distance goal.

More hugs.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @biketheworld I think your answer, to getting out of that funk, is to allow yourself those runs that don't feel like training. Just be free, run like a kid. Leave the Garmin off or unattended. Grab some earbuds. Go see, smell, feel the world on foot.

Go get reconnected with the beauty and belonging, every tree, every critter, every molecule is exactly where it needs to be, and was perfectly placed for you to find in that moment. Its your world.

Fart the training. There's bigger rewards out there if we take the time to see them. They should never get lost in training.

So so so true! I've been thinking about this. I run the same darn route every time. If I "need" to do more than 4 miles, I start looping around and around. I live in the country for crying out loud - there are so many pretty routes possible - but I was stalked by a guy a couple years ago and now am skittish about heading out anyplace the homes are more than 1/2 mile apart. It's time to start exploring again. There is a wonderful nature preserve about 2 miles down the road full of trails. This Saturday - I'm driving over there - and going to just enjoy running for awhile. I feel better just thinking about it!

Take some pepper spray. Or something. Id feel really bad if i encouraged you to something.... Ugly.
  • joannedrummond5
    joannedrummond5 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    August 1 - 20 km run
    August 2 - 9 km run
    August 3 - rest day
    August 4 - 16 km Harriers trail run/13 km water girl for football
    August 5 - 15 km Harriers trail run
    August 6 - 15 km run
    August 7 - 14 km run
    August 8 - 10 km run
    August 9 - 23 km run
    August 10 - rest day
    August 11 - rest day
    August 12 - 10 km club run
    August 13 - 23 km run
    August 14 - rest day
    August 15 - 10 km Hill Repeats
    August 16 - 20 km run
    August 17- rest day
    August 18 - 4 km water girl
    - 23 km Howling Dog Night Run
    August 19 - recovery day
    August 20 - recovery day
    August 21 - 10 km Interval Running
    August 22 - 20 km run
    August 23 - raining
    August 24 - 11 km Hill Repeats
    August 25 - 20 km run
    August 26 - 10 km club run/5 km water girl
    August 27 - 14 km run
    August 28 - 20 km run

Total distance 334 km - goal 350 km.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @garygse Monkey, Your prehensile tail is your best feature. ;)

Now I'm self conscious... Hey cool sculpting can get that arm pit fat... And impants scheduled in January... Rest is life, eh? Wanna 'nanner? Mmm, maybe some Chunky Monkey?
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I bought two bunches today...that should be enough to last a couple of days or so. :blush:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    4.71 hot and slow miles tonight. I would like to think that I'll be faster when it is cooler out, but that is a dream and not a reality.

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @biketheworld I think your answer, to getting out of that funk, is to allow yourself those runs that don't feel like training. Just be free, run like a kid. Leave the Garmin off or unattended. Grab some earbuds. Go see, smell, feel the world on foot.

Go get reconnected with the beauty and belonging, every tree, every critter, every molecule is exactly where it needs to be, and was perfectly placed for you to find in that moment. Its your world.

Fart the training. There's bigger rewards out there if we take the time to see them. They should never get lost in training.

So so so true! I've been thinking about this. I run the same darn route every time. If I "need" to do more than 4 miles, I start looping around and around. I live in the country for crying out loud - there are so many pretty routes possible - but I was stalked by a guy a couple years ago and now am skittish about heading out anyplace the homes are more than 1/2 mile apart. It's time to start exploring again. There is a wonderful nature preserve about 2 miles down the road full of trails. This Saturday - I'm driving over there - and going to just enjoy running for awhile. I feel better just thinking about it!

Take some pepper spray. Or something. Id feel really bad if i encouraged you to something.... Ugly.

When you see an unfamiliar guy running, and he crosses the street to give you a wide berth, you know he's heard stories about stalkers and pepper spray. I may or may not have done this on occasion.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @Elise4270 I bought two bunches today...that should be enough to last a couple of days or so. :blush:

Green or fully ripend. I like mine just barely peelable, firm starchy green.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - I hear you. I have started and fizzled out some many times on that stuff. I am currently in a fizzle out actually, in part cause with the job change I have no access to weights, pull bar, or etc anymore.
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @MobyCarp i have a long list of similar pt exercises. I'm not as good about doing them once i had to go back to work. Think, honestly i havent done any of them in months. No time* and i still have nerves that get mad. But i should be doing them until the nerves get mad.

Just shows me that, if im not gonna put in the work, i won't see the pay off. Or catch that f** filled rolling donut if i wanted too 😁

*Lazy couch time, or time i wont get out of bed early enough to manage my life, yet continue to complain about the lack of opportunity to properly train, rehab or motivate myself. All on me.