September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @GabrielleCP Come join us in the Monthly Running Challenge. Some of the people who replied to your shoe question pop in and out and the answer's they gave would have been parroted by many in this thread. Go to page 1 and have a read to decide if you are interested in this group of wonky - motivating - jokers.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Struggling with intestinal issues. 6 yesterday 5 today easy and slow. I think my legs are not enjoying my new shoes for work. Could be I'm fighting a bug.

Really wanna hit "hug" butt.... I don't wanna add to your discomfort.

Go buy new new shoes. I'm stuck in steel toe boots for work. Horrible when a pair doesn't work out like you need them too.

Thanks I haven't given upon the new shoeshoes
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Oh right on. I was looking at the 3. And yes, because it's a smart watch. I'm tired of looking for my phone when someone messages. By the time I have the money saved the next one will be out. Thank you.

To be clear the Garmins, Fitbits, and others all display text messages, caller ID, and the other alerts just like a "smart watch" - I honestly did not lose a single feature that I used on the Apple Watch when I dumped it for the Gramin. Instead, I gained far superior battery life and fitness features. So for me, and for my use, it was a win-win all the way around.

What watch you wear is a VERY personal decision though, so choose wisely - but choose the one that works best for YOU no matter what anyone on this thread says :D

Thank you, I'm going to have to do more research, after I set up my garmin to utilize it while I save. I'll research and see which way I go. This makes a big difference.

@MegaMooseEsq I too have all my products apple. My watch was the only thing out of place. But now, I may be looking at it in a different way. :-)

Who knows with research I may just end up with a newer model of garmin when I have the money thanks to @PastorVincent

I have multiple iPads, MacBooks, and what not. That is exactly why I started with the Apple Watch. Bought my wife one too. :)
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Questions of the month

What did you wanna be when you grew up?
    Like others I really don't remember any specific career aspirations as a kid. I grew up on a farm and as the youngest I got all of the really pleasant jobs ( ie low skill ) Dad had 10 Square Grain Bins that he inherited from his uncle - nothing like climbing into a square bin to shovel grain into the corners to completely fill it while grain is being dumped into the bin = Grain Dust a plenty, and this was before masks or secondary ventilation were available. The other winner was cleaning the Barn and Chicken coop - nothing like Cow, pig and horse poo and some ammonia from the pigs to chase you from the farm.

The Industrial Arts teacher ( work shop, carpentry, metal fab, welding etc ) was building a score board for the school gym and I got assigned to work on it in class. More electrical and relays than electronic but that hooked me on Electronics. I was the first one in the family to go past high school so had to pay for it myself. Spent a year in the Sub-Arctic Oilfields where you only shut your vehicle off to change the engine oil, you traveled in 3 vehicle convoys with 1/2 mile between vehicles and like the Ice Road Truckers show most of the time you were only doing 10-30 Mph due to crappy roads and Ice Crossings. Many ice crossings I had both doors of the truck tied open ensuring I could bail out in a hurry. It paid for my 2 years at a Technical College ( NAIT ) for my Electronics Engineering Technologist Diploma, some say Degree. Pretty much worked in the Telecom side of Electronics every since.

Why did I start running?
    As Cross training to complement my swimming, especially since the pool closes for September each year for a complete maintenance turn around, pumps, filters heaters, tiles etc. So I needed something to fill the exercise hole. Started as walk run cycles late in the evening after dark. Later in the year one of the guys in the swimming pool suggested I should do the Triathlon since I already swim and run - biking would be easy to add to the mix. So now Running is 50% of my activity, swimming 35% and biking 15%, summer is short here and the bugs are big so when you hit one at speed it's a real experience.

Why do I run now?
    Not that I am any world class athlete but 2 year's ago the trail bug caught me and there is something about smushing through mud ( as @JessicaMcB said "Mud on the tires" ), getting slapped by a branch, tripping over a Spider Web that is challenging and so much fun. I have 3 events in September - all on the Bush Trails in fall conditions. Could be absolute Mud Pits, carpets of leaves, snow or the proverbial Indian Summer of beautiful but cool days providing ideal conditions.

Now to gear up and go play in the Hills, forecast rain for tomorrow so try to get a bit in tonight

Wow!
    I know there were sacrifices, bad situations and horrible and scary ones too working in the oil fields. But I find it impressive and interesting. I've seen so many documentaries and I've always found interesting and have admiration for people who would go out there and do those jobs. I think it would be a fantastic experience but I would be a chicken to do it if I had an opportunity like that. Good for you, for going out there and giving it a shot.
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @travelling_lots the Forerunner 235 does have pace alerts. You just have to set up a workout and indicate pace as the metric to monitor.

What?
    Oh my goodness.
    I had no idea.
    Okay, so I checked the watch your right it does.
    But on the watch itself doesn't give me the option to set the pace. Just to show or not
    It may be going onto the actual site. I don't have the manual, but I'm going to check it out.
    Thank you!

I need to say thanks again.
    Since I got the phone I have not been able to synchronize my watch and my phone, had issues with Bluetooth yesterday so I thought maybe it's the phone. When you said about the pace alerts I went through all the settings and realize what I missed and now my phone is synchronized too.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    September goal: 100 miles
    9/1: rest
    9/2: 6 miles of random hotel parking lots
    9/3: rest
    9/4: 7 miles
    9/5: 3.5 miles
    9/6: 5 miles
    9/7: 9 miles (6 am & 3 pm)
    9/8: rest
    30.5 of 100 done

UPCOMING RACES
    October -
    November - 5 mile Bare Bones Turkey Trot
    December -

COMPLETED RACES
    January - Frosty 5k
    February - Run for the Chocolate 5k
    March - Penguin in the Park 5k
    April - Lake Sara Dam 5k
    May - Run Through the Jungle 5k
    June - French Fried 5k
    July - Firecracker 5k
    August - Happy Birthday to Me virtual 10k
    September 7th - 5k Glow Run
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    Oh I miss those days.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Excellent article on running/mental health. Teared up a bit at the end https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a22997220/rob-krars-greatest-victory/

Also, if you haven't seen the new Oiselle video, also made me tear up. For different reasons.