September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @RunnerGrl1982 Congrats on a great 5K race!
    @Scott6255, @Elise4270, and @PastorVincent Ha, I'm the shortest of my brothers at 5'10"...they're both over 6' and have legs that go all the way up to their armpits; with attributes like that, they'd probably be great as runners, but neither of them run unfortunately. :confused:

At 5'11" but have short legs for my height which yields a very tall... sitting height... which makes driving cars very annoying - so I stick with trucks.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    No run this weekend... too many conflicts, back at it on Monday though.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255, @Elise4270, and @PastorVincent Ha, I'm the shortest of my brothers at 5'10"...they're both over 6' and have legs that go all the way up to their armpits; with attributes like that, they'd probably be great as runners, but neither of them run unfortunately. :confused:

I *think* the ideal running height is 5'6"-5'10 for men. No idea what it is for women. That whole mass/strength ratio business.

I saw a prediction that the male runner that will break the sub 2 full will likely be smaller than average. So.... Go get 'em boys!
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    September goal: 85 miles

9/2: 7 miles
    9/4: 4.5 miles
    9/5: 4.5 miles
    9/6: 5.5 miles
    9/9: 7.5 miles

29/85 miles completed

Today's run was a really nice 7.5 miles. The temperature was a nice 70°f. It was still pretty humid but the dew point was only 68° which was a lot nicer than it has been lately. There was also a nice breeze from the north so it was a cooler run. There were several times that it felt misty. It wasn't really rain. There was just so much moisture in the air that I could feel myself running into water droplets. It actually felt pretty good.

I was going to run a route I haven't run in a while, but I saw 3 dogs who were out of their fence so I turned around and adjusted my route and ended up coming up with my route on the fly. It was kind of nice. Since I started running before work I stick to a route that is well lit and I know I have time to run. It was nice to run some different roads for a change.

I ran my fastest 10K time to date so I was pretty excited about that. There are never really any 10k's near here so I haven't had a chance to run an actual 10k race, but I felt pretty good about my PR anyway.

@RunnerGrl1982 Congrats on the 5K. Cool medal!

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K

So, your saying you thanked the 3 dogs for that push? :-)
    Sorry, just being funny. Don't understand sarcasm but I have a dry sense of humour. Go figure.
    Your not having much luck lately with skunks and dogs. Hopefully that changes soon.

I'm glad you enjoyed your run.
    I on the other hand I'm walking earlier and in a different areas I know in hopes I don't see any skunks for awhile. :-)

@RunnerGrl1982 Congrats!
    Cute hardware.

@Scott6255 @Elise4270 @PastorVincent so, you guys made me look at mine now. Mine shows 8:37 pace cadence (spm) 91 avg 145 max

But don't know what any of this means.
    Or what exactly are we looking at? 🙇‍♀️
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @MobyCarp good work on not spiking that girl! That would not have been pretty!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @RunsOnEspresso No shame in knowing your limits. You know the saying "if you never try, youll never know.."

You'll dominant the HM in November. Its a great distance. I mean heck. Why run an additional 2-3 hours when you'd be missing that time you could be wallering in "i did it", "Ima bad mamajamma", "ima eat that with a beer!", "Check my swag, Celebrations!". When those marathon nuts are still running, we're showered, planning the next race and celebrating. :wink:

No tears girl. You're ment to be faster, not longer.

It's just hard when it's been a goal for so long. And wanting to build on it to do ultras. Now I feel like I have no goals.
  • Elise4270
    Options

I *think* the ideal running height is 5'6"-5'10 for men. No idea what it is for women. That whole mass/strength ratio business.

I saw a prediction that the male runner that will break the sub 2 full will likely be smaller than average. So.... Go get 'em boys!

Wonderful, so at 5'11'' I am already out of the running! Yay! Time to sit around and get fat again. :lol:

LOL! Well if you need a reason too.... There are many fast marathoners sighted at 6'2"... So... take your pick. You get to be part of which ever club you choose. (And i was trying to encourage/support the fellas closer to my height, as sometimes they feel "shorted" :heart: ).
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso No shame in knowing your limits. You know the saying "if you never try, youll never know.."

You'll dominant the HM in November. Its a great distance. I mean heck. Why run an additional 2-3 hours when you'd be missing that time you could be wallering in "i did it", "Ima bad mamajamma", "ima eat that with a beer!", "Check my swag, Celebrations!". When those marathon nuts are still running, we're showered, planning the next race and celebrating. :wink:

No tears girl. You're ment to be faster, not longer.

It's just hard when it's been a goal for so long. And wanting to build on it to do ultras. Now I feel like I have no goals.

I understand. I think ultras are a different beast. I think the cut offs are longer, trails and are something you still could do. Where's @LaDispute57 ? You know he does them and has had two hip replacements? (Hes the reason i stuck with running through all my hip crap).

Ultras seem like they are more endurance than speed and endurance. I wouldn't be so quick to write it off just yet. Hang in there.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 It's not really about speed right now. I don't think I have enough spoons for the longer distances. The long runs just take so much energy from me. I am extra slow on trails because of my asthma.