WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    trucker743 wrote:

Rori - Hiw much water do you cover the bones with to do bone broth? Do seasonings go in it? I’d love to make my own!

Sharon: This is the recipe I used today. https://www.platingsandpairings.com/the-best-instant-pot-bone-broth/

I know that KarenNY frequently makes bone broth, so she may have other suggestions.

Rori
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello again! Do nice to be here; thanks for the welcome!
    Today I recalculated my macros. Monitoring them is the most helpful too I’ve learned from MFP.
    Here are my calculations:
    Basil Metabolic Rate (BMR): 996.5
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE): 1195.8
    Daily calories deficit: 10-25% of TDEE—I’m not doing this right now because I need to get my activity level up first. I set daily calories at 1200 for now. Lee’s than this is neither healthy or sustainable for me.
    This week I’ve set these macro goals. I’ll give them a week and see what results I get.
    Protein 25%
    Fat 35%
    Carbs 40%
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Oh, PS — my name is Judi and I live outside of Baltimore, MD.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, Tracey!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did an Advanced Strength DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to go to the water aerobics class. Then going to the Salvation Army to make a donation.

I’m supposed to volunteer at the Green Room then I need to stop at Food Lion since Vince is almost out of milk. Guess they’ll have some. If not….oh well. Then he wants to bring in the things from around the pool (umbrellas, ceramics, chairs, etc). They’re supposed to have this stitching at ACMoore tonight, I’ll go if there’s time. The more important thing is to get things inside. Update: Got the milk, they had quite a bit. By the time we took the dog to animal control (see below), had dinner, it was almost 7 and the stitching was from 6 to 8.

Before I go to the Green Room I need to stop at the soup kitchen and then go see Lynette. Update: They were doing something to the road so it was closed. I had to circle waaaaayyyyy around to get to the soup kitchen. I met a woman who used to be in the water aerobics class.

Janetr – I’m sure more than SOME of your ornaments will sell. They are all so beautiful. Congrats on the wonderful loss

For some reason, I couldn’t sleep last night so I went into Shadow’s room. I took my phone with me just in case I fell asleep. It’s a good thing because I did fall asleep. For some reason the alarm went off at 5 so I just went into our bed and slept some more

Allie – glad to hear things are moving with the house

M – (((HUG))). If I EVER saw that in my toilet bowl, I honestly don’t know what I’d do after I screamed bloody murder

Judy – welcome. This is a great place for support

Brought in everything from outside by the pool, put my ceramics up. Vince had to buy two new shelves to accommodate my newer ceramics. Don’t know what we’ll do next year. He’ll think of something, I’m sure. This dog came by and stayed in our backyard. He had a collar on him with his owner’s name and phone number. We called a few times – went to voice mail each time. Vince texted him – no answer. We finally had to take the dog to animal control because we aren’t able to take care of a dog. And with the hurricane, we didn’t want to leave him outside. He was a very good dog. He must have been older, I think maybe he had arthritis in his legs because he didn’t want to walk up the steps from the backyard, I had to carry him. Also, he didn’t want to jump into the car, I had to pick him up. I feel bad that we took him to animal control, but I know that he’s safe. I do hope the owner claims him. Every kitten Vince saw he wanted to take home. When we were in St. Kitts there were some cats that came around the hotel, so he had to go to the store and buy cat food to feed them!

Sharon – Loki doesn’t seem to be in any sort of pain. He just seems to get something in him.

It’s really nice (but humid) weather here so I did a load of laundry and ran the dishwasher. Not that it really needed to be run, but by the time it’d get full, I’m afraid we’re going to get the rain. So I wanted to do it so hopefully the ground won’t get real saturated.

Tracy in Edmonton – happy birthday. A snowman sounds really special

Penny – today they were talking about your town on the radio. I couldn’t help thinking of you. Is it really true that people walk around wearing a shotgun because of all the bears? Is it true that when you go to a store or someplace, they have a locker for you to put your gun in? But they did talk about how beautiful your city was. They talked about how ships go there and I thought of Heather.

SuebDew – we are very far inland. They are calling for some rain but spread out over a few days, so it won’t be that bad. The last time this area had a hurricane was Hurricane Hugo – 30 years ago. Vince wanted to have the generator accessible. I honestly don’t think we’re going to need it, but it makes him happy to have it so I helped get it out. If we do need it, the heck with a/c – hope to be able to have Internet  The only preparation I’ve made is I bought some spaghetti squash and butternut squash to roast. Oh, and today we brought in the furniture, ceramics, etc. from the outside. Vince used bungee cords around some of the chairs.

Kate UK – welcome back!

Michele in NC
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Penny inspiring!

Bone broth/Stock: I have an instant pot and use it to make really delicious stock/broth. I put in chicken bones, an onion, garlic, large carrots and celery as well as herbs that I like (sometimes rosemary, most often thyme) salt and pepper then add water to the max line. 30 minutes later voila! Super delightful, very rich broth. I'm told to up the veggies and takeaway the chicken carcass and it makes an equally rich veggie stock.

Super busy times at work, now that I'm in front of the students, I am happy! It is a privilege to work with them, administrators, not so much :/ but fortunatley, the admin. kind of ignore me so I do feel like I still have some autonomy.

Love the Meyers-Brigg personality talk, as an introvert that has an extroverted job, I do need to decompress regularly to recharge.

Have a safe and healthy Friday everyone, NYKAREN
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options

Charlotte sheltering in place under the eaves outside sliding door to the deck:

3jxt5kj72y3d.jpeg

g4ufcxrwuzi5.jpeg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    I'm INTJ too. :D Funny how many of us are on this thread. A self selecting sample I think. I've got -A/-T next to it. I've forgotten what that means. Anyone know?
    I'm not sure if I'm entirely convinced about it, but one thing the test did for me is make me less judgemental about my life choices. I'm more forgiving of myself in my eccentricities. One thing I love about myself is my intuition. :D
    I'm married to an INFJ, which is great, because if there is an especially diplomatic conversation needed with someone, he is much better at it than I am. I do have to be very careful of his feelings though. ;):*

Still haven't heard anything. But I was very proud of myself today when I managed to go back to sleep at 5.45. I woke up with an anxious feeling, but managed to work my way through it and meditated my way back to sleep. Woke up at 7.20. :D

Having easy fish soup for dinner. I may have a bath this afternoon, a rare treat. My feet need a bit of scrubbing to get back to baby softness.

I'm going up to London on Monday to sit with my friend during chemo. Haven't seen her for a while. I won't actually get there until she is about to be hooked up, because of train times, but I will spend the rest of the day with her. I'm amazed that she is still battling on. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Lisa That is interesting. I was discussing the “intimidating” thing with my DH yesterday - he says he’d love it, but agrees with females it is pretty much not said in a complimentary way. For me, reading about other INTJ types that are female has been great. Reading that others struggle with feeling out of place with other women, and generally out of step with societal expectations, and being judged as combative when intending to be a helpful problem solver, being called rude when trying to be gently honest ... well just knowing that I’m not just a lone oddball but have good company in these things helps!
    The “I” part is particularly strong with me if I have to face more than one woman at a time. Women in one on one settings, or men, singly or in groups are usually situations where I’m ok - But social situations calling for me to be with more than one woman at a time are exhausting and confusing to me,I generally choose to sit on the sidelines in these if I can....
    Rye

Rye - yes! I felt out of place with most other women throughout most of my life. Until I was up into my 50s, honestly. This job (thank you, Rori), and possibly this thread, in the last four years, has been really instrumental in helping me to reach out to other women, become comfortable with them, find value in them and my time with them, and be able to be comfortable in groups of them. It may be that it's the women that are drawn to working with the Girl Scouts, as somewhat of a similar, if indefinable, type. And, again, in this thread, it may be that it's those of us who stay with this thread year after year are a similar type.

Or it may be that whatever pulled me away from the company of women changed in me.

And my honesty has gotten me in trouble more than once. And, oddly enough, out of trouble on other occasions, so it all seems to balance out.

Heather - Maybe we do self-select! Nice to have other INTJs out there, since we're apparently unique. :smiley: And yes, I have my doubts about almost any "personality" lumping of people. But then, I would, with that "J" on there, wouldn't I! :smiley:

Lisa - on the road momentarily...
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Did the test and I'm ISFJ-A Apparently a DEFENDER, yes quite spooky how accurate it is.

Kate UK <3