September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,007 Member
    Options
    @pudgy1977 Check out this link and see if it helps. I'm no expert. I am trying to follow this training schedule and working up to a faster pace. I think the best run/walk times for you will emerge and change as you run more. Hope that makes sense.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k-10k-training/
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    kevaasen wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    9/1 16.7 miles
    9/2 rest
    9/3 5 miles treadmill
    9/4 9.21 miles
    9/5 rest
    9/6 10 miles
    9/7 14 miles
    9/8 4miles
    9/9 rest
    9/10 9.41 miles
    9/11 8miles
    9/12 5miles
    9/13 4miles
    9/14 20MILES!!!!!! <- I did it all on the TREADMILL!!!

So what do you do when you have a long run scheduled and you are stuck inside due to a tropical storm warning? Well, you lament that you are stuck inside and resign yourself to skipping it cause who in their right mind would ever run 20 miles on a dreadmill??!!

Well, I figured I had nothing else to do. I also knew I wouldn't be able to run the entire thing straight so I decided to break it up into segments. I did 8 miles, then 6 miles, then 4, then 2. It took me 4 hours and 50 minutes total with breaks between where I would drink water and change into dry running clothes and also feed my kids lunch :smile: I had a pouch of Honey Stingers after 14 miles and they didn't bother my stomach so that's good to know for future long runs.

Here it is! I went by the treadmill mileage since my Garmin in "indoor" mode doesn't seem as accurate. It wasn't too far off though!

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K
    5/28/2018 Run to Remember 5K

10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
    12/2/2018 Busch Gardens Christmas Town Dash 8K

To complete 20 miles is hard enough physically and mentally. 20 miles on a dreadmill.....even more of a mental challenge to overcome. Just incredible! Very well done!

I could not run 20 miles on the dreadmill. We don't get tropical storms where I live, but we do get winter storms. There was a Saturday in 2016 when the weather was so severe that all the group runs were canceled and GRTC even had to call off the Freezeroo race that day because it was so cold. I was scheduled to run 22 miles, and didn't think I could handle more than 10 to 13 outside.

So I ran my 22 miles as 177 laps of a 200m indoor track. Later, someone suggested I could have run it on a treadmill. I just stared at him; that never occurred to me.

So 177 laps would make me dizzy! Plus doesn't that mean one leg got more work out than the other? I am not sure I could pull off 20 miles on a dreadmill but I think that would be more likely for me than 177 laps! How in the world did you keep track?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    09/02 - 8.5 hot humid miles
    09/03 - 10 miles
    09/04 - Back to the car shop - yay
    09/05 - 8.5 humid miles
    09/06 - 8 humid miles
    09/07 - 9 humid miles
    09/08 - Storming
    09/09 - Storming
    09/10 - 13.1 miles
    09/11 - 8 miles
    09/12 - Date Night - No Run
    09/13 - Forget what happened
    09/14 - 16 miles

Upcoming Races:

Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

--More as I find them - need to find a nice trail race

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)
  • joannedrummond5
    joannedrummond5 Posts: 229 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    So today's run was a bit of an adventure. There is a trail near my work that is part of a very long trail that runs 100s of miles all the way to DC. I figured I could just run out for like an hour, turn around and come back. Well was running along listening to my book and something happened. I am not sure what, but suddenly I was on a multilane road with traffic. Major shopping area. Totally had no clue where I was.

No biggie, I have GPS and maps, right? Well, I pull out my iPhone which is soaked with sweat (everything I was wearing was dripping. I fully saturate tech fabrics fairly quickly in this weather) and I could not get the stupid touch screen to work. This is always a problem. Once I dry it off it works fine... but literally, nothing I had on me was dry.

I wander around a bit and find the river. This is good. My truck was parked near the river, so all I had to do was put the river on my right-hand side and run. Eventually, I refound the trial and made it back... 16 miles into my 8-10 miles planned. Dehydrated and starving.

Ducked into a food store and bought some real chocolate milk, then texted my wife and met her at an ice cream shop. So that is a win. :)

I will have to find a trail map and see if I can guess where I went wrong...

Definitely a win :-)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp My friend from the local running club has a BQ Time. Julie Boles Gummesen. As long as they don't shift the time due to an abundance of competitors.
    Can you provide any suggestions on accommodation since it will be at a premium - where do you book to give the best travel options. If I remember it's bus service to the start area and then fend for yourself after the finish.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    September, she'll remember (to run)
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    So i realized we did the SPAM virtual run ladt October and went looking to sign up for it again and found this: https://www.aimatmelanoma.org/get-involved/aim-for-the-cure-walks/

@skippygirlsmom did you know? Love it!

I'm so glad they made the "cover!" I didn't organize a S.P.A.M. run this year....I'm in that ostrich stage of grief.....

@Elise4270 and @HonuNui - I didn't see it the first time I went to the link. I got as far down as the state listing and got sidetracked looking at what run options were in CA. LOL - completely missed the picture of @skippygirlsmom and the Skippygirll! I couldn't figure out what you were talking about! It is pretty cool!

@HonuNui - I don't know if it ever gets any easier but I hope over time you find some peace. I think of you and Steve pretty much every time I put on my sunscreen!

• MarylanderX
    MarylanderX Posts: 6 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @PastorVincent I live along the trail in MD and run there several times a week. I have run on it in PA too (around Connellsville, my Mom was from Uniontown).

I've got the same issue with my phone and sweating.

Sounds like you had an adventure that ended in ice cream with your wife. How can that not be a win?
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @zdyb23456 I don’t think there is any way I could do that much on a dreadmill. Go you!

My running has been a bust so far this week. I have let too many things get in the way. But it is now the weekend, and I WILL run both days!!!
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I live along the trail in MD and run there several times a week. I have run on it in PA too (around Connellsville, my Mom was from Uniontown).

Sounds like you had an adventure that ended in ice cream with your wife. How can that not be a win?

Ziplock sandwich bags work for me!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

So if I REALLY lose track of time I might run into you? :lol: I really will need a LOT of ice cream then. :D
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    @zdyb23456 @MobyCarp I bow down to your dreadmill and indoor track wonders. On a similar note, a friend ran a half marathon in his living room during Chinese New Year a couple years back, 2100 back and forths of his 10 meter long apartment. His dog thought he'd gone stark mad.

2100 times back and forth??!! That's bananas!!!
  • MarylanderX
    MarylanderX Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    Ziplock sandwich bags work for me!

I do carry it in a ziplock. Maybe keeping a little cloth in there too would be enough for me to dry a finger to use on the screen.