September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @mbaker566 oh yes - canicross harnesses are a different ballgame and as you suggest are similar to sled harnesses. They usually had stretchy bits too if I'm not mistaken? (and are easy to release from a waist strap).

Having said that, anyone who runs with their dog on a harness knows what they are doing and what the dog is capable of. It's the people with large muscular (or just plain fat - that's my other dog-related hate, fat dogs) dogs unable to control them that I reserve bile for.

some harnesses do some don't. my leashes are bungies with 2 handles. one at the end by the latch(to the waist belt) and one prior to the bungee.
    wcz2pb47zenb.png
    b02wdbrualk3.png
    my foster is fat and i call her snausage. most dogs i get are underweight
    i've probably got only a week left with her before someone scoops her up. but in the mean time i've started her 1/4 mile shuffle every other day
    0op9o9d0hnsp.png
    side note: the rescue group i work for has different people, some very experienced and trainers, others just dog lovers. the one lady has been calling her dog a he for a week now and someone said, your dog is a girl. she was unaware her dog was a girl. how do you not know? after a week?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    AprilRN10 wrote: »
    I'm allergic to dogs, but my cat is harness and leash trained.

Haha, awesome. A friend of mine gave me a cat harness years ago, but the two cats I had at the time didn't take to it: one would escape from it no matter what I did, and the other would flop over and refuse to move. My new cat is too small for the harness so I'll have to wait to try it again.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I tried to upload two pictures, but they won't take.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I would prefer rain to the snow we are getting, but maybe not quite so much of it.

@ContraryMaryMary Happy anniversary!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMary W00T! Happy anniversary!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary, @ContraryMaryMary!

@MobyCarp Hope your ankle is feeling better tomorrow!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Today I got to run 2.07 miles after lifting weights. I started off a little faster than usual so decided to stick with that rather than do the slow start followed by sprints between bikers deal. So I kept the first mile pretty quick, then alternated picking up the pace and recovering on the run, no walking. It’s not really a plan, but it’s fun and that’s good for me. I had a moment coming up to my house where I thought about where I am now as a runner compared to where I was a year ago, and it made me pretty happy.

The weather was genuinely chilly today - I wore a sweater to my eye exam this morning. Which, to go off topic for a bit, has finally convinced me to stay away from conventional optometrists’ offices going forward. The exam was fine but more expensive than I’d expected, they refused to give me my pupillary distance unless I paid an additional $50, and I got the third degree from the tech about buying glasses online. Admittedly he asked if I wanted to hear it first and I said yes because I was curious to see if he had anything convincing to say, which he did not.

The whole experience reminded me about a company that is a client of a non-profit law firm I used to work for who have developed an online exam to allow doctors to write vision prescriptions without an in-person exam, so I decided to give it a go. $20, took about 15 minutes, and they’ll do a PD measurement off a photo with a credit card on my face.

I’m really interested to compare what they come up with to what I got from the in-person exam. What really sold me on the concept was looking at the list of doctors who work with them in my area - they send your test results to an optometrist in your state to review and write you a prescription. A lot of the University of Minnesota doctors (who have an excellent reputation) work with them, but also a doctor I’d gone to a couple of times last decade. Also, $20 (which my insurance will reimburse) is worth a shot.

Back on subject, I missed the deadline to transfer my 5k registration for the Twin Cities Marathon weekend to the 10k, so I guess I’m running the 5k. That was my original goal for the year so I’m not mad about it. I think I’ve got a shot for a sub-30 - that’d be a nice way to wrap up the year. You know, other than my second half marathon and whatever nonsense I get up to this winter. I still need to sign up to volunteer for the Marathon - my husband keeps putting of deciding whether he wants to come with and forgetting that they're not going to let him just show up.

SEPTEMBER MILES:
    9/1 Sa - recovery day
    9/2 Su - 1:48:13 - 9.01
    9/3 Mo - lifted heavy things, but not too heavy
    9/4 Tu - 0:55:04 - 5.15 tempo
    9/5 We - lifted heavy things, but not too heavy
    9/6 Th - rest
    9/7 Fr - 0:45:10 - 4.12 steady
    9/8 Sa - rest
    9/9 Su - 2:27:30 - 13.23 City of Lakes Half Marathon
    9/10 Mo - rest
    9/11 Tu - 0:20:01 - 1.95, lifted heavy things
    9/12 We - 1:07:22 - 6.22
    9/13 Th - lifted heavy things
    9/14 Fr - 0:40:00 - 3.76
    9/15 Sa - 0:20:00 - 1.40 (treadmill), lifted heavy things
    9/16 Su - rest
    9/17 Mo - lifted heavy things
    9/18 Tu - 1:12:27 - 6.72
    9/19 We - 44:56 - 4.17
    9/20 Th - rest
    9/21 Fr - 0:20:04 - 2.07

September Total: 57.8/85 miles
    Marathon miles: 6/26

Races!
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K Chip time: 0:32:20
    August 25: Glo Run Night Race 5K Chip time: 0:30:40
    September 8: Helen Gold 10K DNS - trip postponed
    September 9: City of Lakes Half Marathon Net time: 2:28:25
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 5K
    October 21: Mankato Half Marathon
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    AprilRN10 wrote: »
    I'm allergic to dogs, but my cat is harness and leash trained.

Haha, awesome. A friend of mine gave me a cat harness years ago, but the two cats I had at the time didn't take to it: one would escape from it no matter what I did, and the other would flop over and refuse to move. My new cat is too small for the harness so I'll have to wait to try it again.

That's exactly what my cats do lol. They are too paranoid to be walked anyway I think, we got the girl from a shelter where she seemed to tolerate being touched and picked up. Come home and suddenly she is bolting from everything. Took months before I could pet her. She was probably too freaked to move back when we first met her.

Sitting at the airport currently waiting for a flight to Ireland. No running for a few days while on the road. See y'all in the Emerald Isle.