Is Keto Worth it?

145791012

Replies

  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

    I am happy keto worked for you. Here is my experience. I was diagnosed T2Dm with an A1c of 7.3 in January 2014. I immediately started counting my total carbs staying under the recommended 180 grams daily. With no medication, just losing weight and eating moderate carbs I reduced my A1c to 5.2 by November of 2014 and it has stayed down ever since.

    In other words, keto is not necessary for diabetics but each person needs to work with their healthcare team to figure out the best options for them.

    That is a great experience, and I would have been happy if it had been mine!

    My doctor described T2D as a progressive disease and told me I would add meds as things got worse. I would eventually be on insulin before it was over. After he left, the nurse told me that "no one" ever improved, and that the goal was to slow the rate at which it progressed.

    When I brought the A1C down and went off the metformin, I offered to tell him what I was doing. He laughed and said he did not need to know. He told me to keep doing it.
  • zwebb2018
    zwebb2018 Posts: 35 Member
    zwebb2018 wrote: »
    zwebb2018 wrote: »
    zwebb2018 wrote: »
    I think keto is amazing it's hard work for sure because it's not as simple as taking out carbs it's watching sugars ect even beetroot I was shot down on a keto page for being keto I've been in ketosis before and I lost so much that has stayed off but it did mess with my lady time!! I'd defo give it a try that is the reason tho I'm no longer in ketosis for my hormones it was too much hassle for me xx

    you lost weight due to a deficit. even with keto you have to have a deficit. you can gain weight doing keto. many have. if you lost a lot at a fast rate and it messed with your period I would say your calorie deficit was too steep. many do keto for pcos (which helps some with their period) too much of a deficit or too low of calories can mess with your period. so Im thinking that may have been the isue.

    The reason it messed with my period was due to estrogen being released when my fuel burn turned to fat,!! I was burning fat to quickly and have found the bleeding issue quite common on those on the combined pill and in ketosis, my personal opinion is keto can be very worth it and rewarding but it's personal experience whether it works for you or not no one can tell you 100% what something does or will do!! I think some diets are crap in comparison to others but who am I to tell that person they shouldn't do it!? Or tell them what's happening to their body!! It may work for them we are different

    in keto you dont burn body fat you burn dietary fat. fat is burned in a deficit no matter how you eat. losing weight too fast is what mot likely contributed to the messed up cycle. you can only burn so much body fat a day. no matter if you are doing keto or not. the faster you lose weight then of course hormones could be released from fat loss but it should not be so much *kitten* to mess with your period. most of the time its too little calories resulting in fast weight loss. the more fat you have the more estrogen you produce so when you lose too quickly that estrogen that is stored gets released. it can happen with any diet too low in calories which causes rapid weight loss. this study states that keto can improve hormone regulation in many women,and can improve fertility. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5372867/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1580168

    I've spoken to a lot of ladies like myself on a particular kind of contraceptive that have experienced changes to their cycles and also negative impact but letting it ride itself out once you become fat adapted can make a positive change. I wouldn't say it was linked to the fast weight loss as I haven't said at what point I actually lost the weight.. It happened once I got into ketosis a short time after a little longer after that I experienced weight loss also taking on someone's advice to incorporate a bit of extra carb into my diet which seemed to work. The reason I don't want my carb intake to get too too low and fall into ketosis is because of the links between the contraceptive hormones and what ketosis itself brings, I've lost weight well before and not experienced this as I didn't get into ketosis. You are right in regards to calorie deficit and weight loss ect but there is definitely something about ketosis and the particular pill that causes abnormal bleeding thoroughly checked out by the doctor btw to rule out anything sinister I'm not willing to give up my pill for ketosis unfortunately because it's given me so many positives and I can lose weight without being keto. But for others it's definitely something I would suggest they try if there struggling with other diets

    well I cant find any studies proving that keto and certain birth control causes issues with periods. I dont know if there arent enough studies or what. but if you find not doing keto works better for you then so be it. I cant do keto but when I did it(before I knew I had a health issue in which keto is a no-no) for me it had no bearing on my period and I take bc pills .

    It may be one of those things that hasn't been fully studied yet I haven't seen the research but spoken to a lot of ladies who have shared their experiences with me all being similar, it may be that a smaller percentage of women in keto are on combined pills with the larger percentage being on other forms of contraception or not atall as when we gain weight we do often point the blame to our contraception as it's often listed as a side effect in the leaflet. The best thing about keto for me was the overall feeling I had such less bloating feeling much fresher better energy like I say the bleeding made me up the carbs and now I just keep them low
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    Hmmm...I found out about keto in 2015 and have done it on and off since then. I started back up because my weight was really bothering me. My hubby would say I was fine, but at 5'6" and 158 lbs, I'm not happy. I have always been no more than 135, prior to my last kid. I got down to 141 as my lowest on keto, but when I switched back to IIFYM, I was binging because I was always hungry. Keto really keeps me from being hungry. Also I was finding that my joints were really hurting a lot, and I felt like it was all of the sugar and carbs. I'm not someone who can eat carbs and only eat a little bit. I know me. If I just completely eliminate it, I'm successful. Since I'm familiar with keto, it's easy for me to know what to make at home and what to eat out. I don't have to think too hard about it. That said, I did a lot of research in the beginning. And still do. It's been a full week since I started back up and I'm now at 151. Now, I know a lot of that is water, but I also feel less bloated and have more energy. Honestly, my joints are a little bit better, but I think the weather has been affecting them.

    Just curious... since you say keto helps control your hunger and you credit it with curing your joint pain, do you intend to stay on it permanently?

    Ideally, I would stay on it always. Realistically, life happens and I fall back off, gain weight, and start to feel it in my body. Like I said, I've been doing it on and off since 2015. It just happens to be the way of eating that works for me when I want to lose weight and feel better. I also forgot to mention with keto that I have way less plaque on my teeth than I normally do on a regular diet (with carbs/sugar), and I spend less time at the dentist getting my teeth cleaned. You'd think that'd be enough of a reason to do this forever! LOL.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Hmmm...I found out about keto in 2015 and have done it on and off since then. I started back up because my weight was really bothering me. My hubby would say I was fine, but at 5'6" and 158 lbs, I'm not happy. I have always been no more than 135, prior to my last kid. I got down to 141 as my lowest on keto, but when I switched back to IIFYM, I was binging because I was always hungry. Keto really keeps me from being hungry. Also I was finding that my joints were really hurting a lot, and I felt like it was all of the sugar and carbs. I'm not someone who can eat carbs and only eat a little bit. I know me. If I just completely eliminate it, I'm successful. Since I'm familiar with keto, it's easy for me to know what to make at home and what to eat out. I don't have to think too hard about it. That said, I did a lot of research in the beginning. And still do. It's been a full week since I started back up and I'm now at 151. Now, I know a lot of that is water, but I also feel less bloated and have more energy. Honestly, my joints are a little bit better, but I think the weather has been affecting them.

    I am 5’6” and 158. I like to weight 138. I diet and just go right back to 158. Why is 158 so bad?

    It may not be for you, but I'm not happy at this weight. I'm only referring to myself. Thanks.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited September 2018
    try2again wrote: »
    Hmmm...I found out about keto in 2015 and have done it on and off since then. I started back up because my weight was really bothering me. My hubby would say I was fine, but at 5'6" and 158 lbs, I'm not happy. I have always been no more than 135, prior to my last kid. I got down to 141 as my lowest on keto, but when I switched back to IIFYM, I was binging because I was always hungry. Keto really keeps me from being hungry. Also I was finding that my joints were really hurting a lot, and I felt like it was all of the sugar and carbs. I'm not someone who can eat carbs and only eat a little bit. I know me. If I just completely eliminate it, I'm successful. Since I'm familiar with keto, it's easy for me to know what to make at home and what to eat out. I don't have to think too hard about it. That said, I did a lot of research in the beginning. And still do. It's been a full week since I started back up and I'm now at 151. Now, I know a lot of that is water, but I also feel less bloated and have more energy. Honestly, my joints are a little bit better, but I think the weather has been affecting them.

    Just curious... since you say keto helps control your hunger and you credit it with curing your joint pain, do you intend to stay on it permanently?

    Ideally, I would stay on it always. Realistically, life happens and I fall back off, gain weight, and start to feel it in my body. Like I said, I've been doing it on and off since 2015. It just happens to be the way of eating that works for me when I want to lose weight and feel better. I also forgot to mention with keto that I have way less plaque on my teeth than I normally do on a regular diet (with carbs/sugar), and I spend less time at the dentist getting my teeth cleaned. You'd think that'd be enough of a reason to do this forever! LOL.

    So wouldn't a better approach be to learn the proper portions of the things you realistically are going to eat, to manage your weight long-term as opposed to gaining & losing the same 20 lbs or so?

    I am not saying this to knock keto, be argumentative, or to harass you. There are many users on here for whom keto works beautifully as a permanent WOE and I respect that. I've often wondered if it might help me with some of my various health issues. But it simply isn't realistic for me, and I know from past experience that I enjoy many of the benefits people mention from simply reducing my weight and eating a balanced diet anyway. I find it strange when people choose it to achieve short-term goals with the intention of going back to "normal".
  • I’m just starting the diet, but I do have to say avoiding carbs is helping me curb cravings. I’m the kind of girl who once she starts eating something like chips or bread I want to keep going. But avoiding all carbs is giving me the motivation to not give in. Like previous posters have mentioned, it really depends on your personality and relationship with food. If you need more control around carbs to be able to stay incontrol then it’s a pretty good diet!
This discussion has been closed.