Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    dawnvt24 wrote: »
    When I switched back to my regular pants from wearing shorts all summer and I found I can barely breathe while in them.
    I'm too poor to go buy bigger pants...🤣

Thrift stores can help until you get back down again.
  • luneofspeurcala
    luneofspeurcala Posts: 3 Member
    "Every ten pounds is about four seconds off one's 100 yard swim time, and I'm looking to get into distance swims. While I do not want to be thin (dangerous if you're doing a skins cold water swim) I need to be faster than I am.

Noel, is four seconds a general number? I swim 2000 m at a time (i'm not training for anything, just burning calories) and after losing 60 lbs, my time has gone from 66 minutes to 48 minutes, which comes out to 3 minutes per ten pounds, but I don't know how to separate out the variables. How much is due to gaining strength, How much to learning to swim better, and how much is due to having a more streamlined body?
  • luneofspeurcala
    luneofspeurcala Posts: 3 Member
    I was doing field archery, climbing hills, shooting at 3D foam targets. I slipped on a damp, muddy tree root and ended up on my keister. I saved the bow, but it cost me a blown knee. Since vehicles couldn't get into the path where I was, it took two strong men to carry me down the hill, much to my embarrassment. I made the decision that I had to get the strain off of my joints.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited October 2018
    just returned to MFP (again) because I'm 30 lbs overweight and tired of the cellulite on my arms, legs and looking 7 months pregnant in the belly. Oh and also the double chin. :neutral:
  • ruffneckred
    ruffneckred Posts: 69 Member
    I felt I was staring down diabetes, and was miserable. I had lost weight with CICO before, this time I am low carb, high fat and am pleased. I guess the oh my moment was finding some communication of my wife and others commenting on my weight.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    bump
  • DevinH85
    DevinH85 Posts: 3 Member
    I got winded walking from my car to my office. We are also trying to get pregnant, I want the best possible start for my child.
  • lbryans929
    lbryans929 Posts: 42 Member
    My weight trends up when I do not track food. Really happy I found mfp.
  • nomasexcuses
    nomasexcuses Posts: 17 Member
    Sex stopped being fun
  • melto1989
    melto1989 Posts: 140 Member
    I found out I'm pre diabetic. I was never this big until I got into a relationship where I was truly truly comfortable and in a matter of 2 years had gained 80 pounds. About 5 months ago my doctor told me I was in pre diabetes (my number came back 115, 125 is diabetic.) It took a few months for me to kick myself in the *kitten* enough to take it seriously. But I had diabetes twice while pregnant, and I can't imagine living like that all the time, plus medication.

This was my kick in the butt too, 4th baby got pregnancy diabetes. I had really good blood sugars at my post glucose blood test 3 months after delivery but still 50% more likely to get type 2 because of it so it really motivated me not to get type 2 .
  • fittnessing64
    fittnessing64 Posts: 62 Member
    I hit a BMI of 24.9. BMI isn't the best way to measure a healthy weight, but being at the highest possible number in the healthy weight class spooked me.
  • TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 265 Member
    @mnbell2013 well done on recognising that you were in a healthy relationship. You sound as though you have your head screwed on the right way and I have no doubt that you’re going to lose the weight and gain in happiness. :)
  • TheRedQueen1981
    Sorry, I meant in an *unhealthy relationship. :)
  • TheRedQueen1981
    mnbell2013 wrote: »
    @TheRedQueen1981 thank you! Believe me, it took me a long time to get to this point. Many failed attempts at splitting up, arguments, crying to myself in my car, fantasizing about the life I really wanted...I should have left a long time ago but the fear of being alone was always a powerful motivator. I don't have any "close" friends so that made it especially difficult.
    I’ve sent you a friend request. We all need as much support as we can get on this journey. You’re not alone, believe me. X