WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Heather - I've been watching VERA reruns, but took a break to watch The Worricker Trilogy". Wow, different and good in my opinion. I was surprised to see Christopher Walken and Winona Ryder in the 2nd episode, and like other on-line reviewers, I am amazed at how the dialogue alone keeps my interest. Just started the third episode.

The husband of your friend's response was interesting! I am curious what's up! I am tempted to search out friends I had 50 years ago but when I don't see them on Facebook or can't track them down in some fashion, I do start to wonder.

Barbara AHMOD
    - my DH's complaints about noise is the very reason I spend $$ on a housecleaner every 2 weeks. He hides in his shop for 2 hours and I go shopping. I actually didn't mind cleaning house when I had the place to myself and could take my time. And he did offer to "help" which actually made more work for me, lol.

Picked up Decluttering at the Speed of Life at the library. We do a fairly good job at keeping the clutter down and I've been thinning out extra TV's and items the senior thrift store can use. It's the stuffed closets and pantry and drawers that need help. I see she has a website and blog "A Slob Comes Clean."

Lisa - Barbara has a great idea. Get your resume beefed up no matter what. You have a lot of successes at that job you can be proud of! Get that knee fixed and then get ready to kick some tush, lol. What happened to the former CEO? Did she leave of her own accord and where did she end up, does anyone know?

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    afternoon dear friends~
    I went on a spending spree today.. not really something I shouldn't have done...but I did buy a 6 quart instant pot, i have wanted one and will bring my older crock pot here for Tom,,, It is supposed to be nasty weather this weekend and they are driving back up tomorrow, so what I will do early Saterday morning is put a pot roast in the crock pot for them to have when they get back...I will take my stuff back to my place most of it tomorrow.. and do the sheets and bedding tomorrow night..so they will have fresh sheets to come home to
    I also bought some new bedding.. which I really needed.. Alfie the rascal has mutilated my sheets and pillows. bought a beautiful bedspread with birds on it ..most everything was on sale.. but feel bad.. I know I shouldnt feel guilty , but I do
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Allie- have you talked to a counselor about your relationship with your ex. Sounds to me more like you are still trying to get him back. Or prove to him that you are a prize that got away. This behavior doesn't seem healthy. I understand forgiveness but you are really inserting yourself into their lives and if I was Elena I would definitely put a stop to it. Sorry if this may upset you but my sister did the same thing. Not a healthy situation.

<3
  • grandmallie
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thank you ladies for the wonderful advice,no not trying to get him back at all,and it is going to be quite yucky out..just trying to have something warm for them when they get home is all...
    No I have been here for a week taking care of the pups ,but anxious to get back to my place and my life..
    And not trying to have an unhealthy relationship...honest..
    Thank you all so much for caring about me .so wonderful to have sister friends like you xoxo.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Have been to the YM this morning and did water exercise and swam 500 yds of laps. Also have horses fed and goats. I think they are glad to be back in their usual shed. Cool and rainy today. Have been doing lots of outside chores the last few days while the weather was nice but going to work indoors today. My kitchen floor is awful. Also need to vacuum. Pork chops in the crockpot tonight for dinner.

Lisa - A half million increase in grants seems to me more than worth your travel expenses. Not just sure where she is coming from.

Heather - Glad things are coming together for you. Good luck with finding space to park the lorries.

KJ - Glad you will be able to make it to the funeral.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Well the buyers got there Mortgage,so it's almost done...
    Going to go up to dad's house and take pictures of the house while there is no rain...and say goodbye to the house..very emotional leaving your childhood home..but I will surivive ..busy busy day ..but will have fun tomorrow afternoon at the nursing home..
    Lisa- I agree with our friends that something is rotten in Denmark...I'm going to pray that works in your favor..you have been a Godsend to the scouting community...xoxo
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Lisa (((hugs)))) you give all of us tons of support and advice. Bask in a little support from us.

I suppose the task lays before me....I will measure and see what kind of output I get from 1/2 gallon of whole milk when it turns into yogurt, unstrained and then strained. I will let you all know by Sunday evening, I'm sure the results are "weighing" on everyone's mind.

Super intense day today, but I handled my eating and choices very wisely and I walked about a mile while meeting with my 22 yo mentee, lots to talk about, first year of teaching is really tough!

NYKAREN
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Lisa your input is always invaluable, so you shouldn't worry about "returning the favor"! And all I can say about that interim CEO is wow, just wow.... Not quite sure how half a million dollars in additional funding isn't a worthwhile contribution. Glad to hear that things are getting better for you!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: What is ANZAC Day? :huh:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

https://anzacday.org.au/index.html

A lot like Remembrance Day

"“ANZAC” was the name given to a combined force of First Australian Imperial Force and New Zealand Army troops who landed on Turkey’s Gallipoli Peninsula at around dawn on Sunday, the 25th day of April, 1915, barely nine months after the outbreak of World War I."

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    edited October 2018
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Lisa - Barbara has a great idea. Get your resume beefed up no matter what. You have a lot of successes at that job you can be proud of! Get that knee fixed and then get ready to kick some tush, lol. What happened to the former CEO? Did she leave of her own accord and where did she end up, does anyone know?

Lanette
    SW WA State

I agree.

Follow the interim CEO's advice, get your resume ready and apply for other work.

Is it possible your organisation is going under, and this interim CEO wanted to give you a hint so that you weren't caught completely off guard?

And (from my experience) "interim" means that you could be dealing with several CEO's in a row now. I did that with head Engineers in one place I worked ... went through a whole pile of "bosses" in a row because the encouraged one to move on, and then filled it with "interim" people who each had their own agendas. With each one, it was just a matter of hanging on till the next one came on board a couple months later.

Now is the time to look after yourself!

Machka in Oz

Edit: I also wonder if this CEO is looking at things from a technology perspective, perhaps thinking that all the travelling could be replaced with Skype and other virtual meetings at less cost.

• Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It helps that we're back into long weekend season again. In Canada, there are long weekends every month, or just about every month. But here in Australia, they pack the long weekends into late-October to mid-June and there's nothing for 4 months in the winter. Makes for a very long winter. In the past, we've tried to travel somewhere warm in the winter to break it up.

Although I will likely still be busy, I do plan to take some time to relax a little bit. :)

Machka in Oz

Got a 2.5 km run in yesterday. :)

Also slept in both yesterday and today.

And spent some time before falling asleep last night reading. :) I've been making a habit of doing a little bit of reading (like 10-15 min) most nights, but last night I read for at least half an hour.

I have started reading the Chronicles of Narnia (again), and suddenly discovered I was missing one: The Magician's Nephew". So I went on a hunt through used bookstores the other day, and found a copy. :) I'm reading that right now.

These days, I like light, quick, easy-to-read fiction to read before bed because so much of my day I'm slogging through academic peer-reviewed articles or instruction manuals.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Sorted out my dry goods cabinet this afternoon. Loads of out of date flour etc. I'm talking 2014. If I were here I would use it, but I don't want to take it with me. Better to start afresh. :D Going to do tins, bottles tomorrow.
    Big bags to go to the dump.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

I've been encouraging my husband and his carer to go through the cupboards and use up the old stuff. :grin:

I also have baking supplies from 2014.

M in Oz

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3<3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did Leslie Sansone 5 Mile Fat Burn DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to take the water aerobics class.

After exercise, went and got my blood drawn for my physical next Friday (they should have the results by then) then went to WalMart. Now have a load of laundry in the wash. As soon as it comes out of the wash, I’ll go outside to help Vince with the Halloween decorations.

Not sure why my post from yesterday didn’t post, but it didn’t. And I certainly don’t remember everything, so I’ll just muddle forward.

Sue in WA – last year I put down weed and feed along with grass seed and it worked out great. This year Vince told me that you shouldn’t put down Weed and Feed now but in the spring. Personally, I’d do it both times until the weeds are gone. Just another example of how he feels he knows about putting in a lawn. When we had the pool put it, afterwards they seeded and fertilized the entire backyard. After a few weeks, Vince told me that we needed to rake up the straw. Well, we raked the straw and guess what else? Some of the new grass. See, growing up we lived in an apt. so I really didn’t have experience taking care of a lawn so I listened to Vince. Now it’s costing us much more. Oh well…..

SuebDew – what a sale!

Oh Lisa – (hugs)

Barbara – when I said “nothing unusual” I meant that just getting an hour of sleep after taking a decongestant is totally normal. The decongestant keeps me up until all hours. Of course, the next day I crash

Vicki – best of luck with the car. I’m so happy for you

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Lisa – ((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

I got the first two grants ever for the garden at camp and ($1500) and basically got told it was just pennies (the garden’s annual budget is $360) makes it hard to understand what they are thinking. Hip Hip Hooray for Rori putting it in perspective. Job hunting here you come – there is the right thing out there – maybe reach out to the last CEO and see what she may know of.

Allie – I know you feel you are being nice, and you are, but certain times nice is not called for – not that you should be mean, but neutral…. And in this case I would define neutral as taking care of the dogs (you have ½ custody); cleaning up after yourself – clean sheets… BUT not helping them out, so no fixing dinner. It is about taking care of you first (who paid for that roast?) and setting expectations -- he made a choice – it was Elaina- he doesn’t get both – Elaina for horizontal aerobics and to play with and you as the unpaid house/dog keeper.

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Morning my friends~
    thank you for all your comments and for sure will take that into consideration...
    sorta in my make-up even though I have been wronged to forgive and forget... Tom and I are friends, and actually his ex wife and her first husband are great friends,,, so it is yes an odd way of doing things but will see how things work out tomorrow...
    lots to do today...