October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic - You Did It!!! YAY!! Congratulations!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic That's amazing, you're amazing! Not only did you just do something the vast majority of people will never bother to try let alone successfully achieve, you managed to pick up something 'impressive' along the way!
    Very well done, now get some rest ;-)
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic woo hoo well done, so brilliant!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,441 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic you are my hero! You did amazing! I felt every grueling step with you. I can so see myself feeling all that in a few months. My hat is off to you! Great, great job!!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I need advice! What's the best approach to bib placement when planning to remove layers? Also, has anyone tried race dots, bib boards, or similar, and what did you think?

I don't want to put holes in my waterproof jacket, and it looks likely that the predicted temp during my race will climb from the high 30s to the mid 50s. I don't run fast enough to stay warm at 37, but I'll probably be toasty at 55 after a half. I love my new jacket which has vents and was planning to wear it closed, then open over a shirt, but a bib will keep me from zipping/unzipping the front vents or wearing the jacket open.

I have a bib-belt that you can attach the bib to, but have also attached a bib to the strap of a small "bum-bag" I sometimes wear.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

You guys. I ran a marathon today. I still can't believe it, but I certainly FELT it. On the good side - it was a perfect running weather day, after yesterday was miserably cold, rainy and windy we were so lucky to have a good cool and dry day. On the bad side, I was not at all impressed with the logistics of this race.

. . .

My legs are sore, I'm exhausted, but I'm happy. And I never want to do that again :)

You ran your first marathon in a big, logistically challenging venue (Marine Corps?). Congratulations!

And you never want to do that again . . . a normal reaction. I swore all the way from the 24 mile aid station to the finish line that Boston 2017 was going to be my last marathon. Two marathons later, I feel a bit differently.

After the hurt goes away, and you think about things you might do better with the experience of your first marathon to draw on, I'd recommend picking a smaller race with less challenging logistics. Wineglass was really good with being able to park near the finish/bus pickup, and it wasn't so big that the crowds were a problem. Also, they started the half 30 minutes before the full, so there was no issue with being blocked by packs of slow half participants. And I believe Wineglass would be within driving distance for you; you'd need one, maybe two nights in a hotel.