WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Barbie boy do I remember the noise of a kitchen renovation. I would go for long walks too, the noise and the dust—well worth it when it’s finished though.

Karen love that cleaning story— Sometimes I set my oven timer and get to cleaning up just to see what I can accomplish in a short time.

NYKAREN
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies,

Happy Tuesday - was able to get a 2.5 mile interval workout in yesterday before it got to dark in the neighborhood. Was super excited about that since I had been off for 3 days from working out, and gained 3 lbs from the weekend of parties. This weekend coming up is a short family vacation celebrating my hubby of 37 years (my high school sweetheart) 60th birthday. Our kids are going with us so super excited about it.

I too had issues with MFP and it seems to be ok this am. Keep our fingers crossed they have it rectified.

Rebecca - that is a beautiful picture of your cat and the scenery is just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing I am a cat and dog lover but only have a cat at this time.

Barbie - Glad things worked out for you at the dentist, not my fav place for sure. I have horror stories and could write a book about dentist experiences.

Janet OKC - Happy Birthday - loved the card from our granddaughter and the flowers from your hubby. You look awesome keep up the good work.

Carol Ann - Welcome to the group, I am pretty new myself and so far seems to be an awesome group of ladies who have interesting lives.

Machka in OZ- prayers all turns out for you, as for the software issue, just go in with a positive attitude that you can do this and you will be fine.

Voting day - do your thing!!!!

Everyone have a great day the choice is yours!!!!! 7557ebr3efgj.png

Oh that Suki is actually not MY cat, but is on a Facebook page called Suki The Cat, and I follow it.👍. I refer to Suki as my mental rental cat!
    👍💗 Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    What's Important to me, well my husband of course. He is my hero, having survived from 2007 to 2014, when he had a complete liver transplant. Now he's a different guy, and I have learned just like he survived, I survived too in some ways. My sons are important to me, and presently we are sharing a home with our active duty eldest son here on Whidbey island WA. My middle son and his wife are expecting a baby come this May. Our first grandbaby, so The Chief of a husband and I are ecstatic! My youngest is Navy and stationed in Japan. I am grateful that I got to see him before he left!💗

Being able to go on base here, use the gym facilities, the exchange and commissary has been great, and so getting healthy and not breaking the bank has been important.

I don't know if this body of mine will ever get to the point of maintenance and not have to lose weight, but in the mean time I exercise, eat right, and enjoy life. I appreciate you all, and it drives me to always have a grateful heart.

Today, I upped some of my weights in the weightlifting room. I need to calm my face down, or my husband will just watch me, I'm so darn entertaining! The pull down machines are 50 lbs now, and I am feeling it! But in a way, my back is so much stronger. When I did the treadmill I jogged at a 5.4 pace! Wheeeee! I did that 3 times during my 30 min. walk.👍. There was a gal next to me that had her treadmill up to lightening speed, so I jogged because I felt spurred on by her!
    Afterwards my normal sauna just didn't happen. The thought of putting back on this sweaty attire seemed pointless, plus I was so hot from the treadmill!
    You all are doing amazing!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Good afternoon! (in the PNW) I voted last week. Fun fact: according to OPB, Oregon has the highest percentage of registered (I believe) voters who vote. After living in quite a few places, I can say that I much prefer Oregon's way of voting -- All by mail or drop off. No polling places. You just have to be sure that your ballot is received by 8:00 pm of election day. So I voted at my dining table, with two voter pamphlets for reference. It took about an hour, but I felt really good about it. Then when the other two voters in the house had finished, I dropped all three ballots off.

Also, we are a motor voter state, so when my teenager got his license, even though he wasn't yet 18, he was registered to vote. He turned 18 about a week ago, and a ballot showed up for him. I don't know if he will vote this election; he is feeling a little overwhelmed by it, but I feel proud to live in a state where I have seen no obvious voter suppression -- just the opposite -- all encouragement to vote.

Hubby ended up not going to Switzerland this week -- he went to Ottawa instead. He said it is cold, dark, wet, and cold and dark. Lol

For the newbies and reminder to others -- I am 57, married, with three boys (22, 18, and 13). I am a college administrator and for fun and relaxation, I watch British crime dramas. I had nearly reached my goal weight about a year ago, then my younger sister (who suffered from severe mental illness -- the institutional kind) died unexpectedly. That threw me more than I thought it would, since I'd effectively lost her 30 years ago, but I lost my mojo for eating appropriately and consistently exercising -- started snacking on chips in the afternoon and neglected the gym -- and I've put on 10 pounds in that year. It's very frustrating but I am trying to be kind to myself and get back on track. For exercise, I walk, take fitness classes, and do yoga. Before she died, I had worked up to running three miles (after running quite a few different times in my life), but that's all lost, too. :disappointed: But kindness and forgiveness.

I have Celiac, so I am 100% gluten free. Apparently, I also have wonky kidneys, so I am trying to be kind to my internal organs with my diet as well. Other than that, I don't restrict what I eat very much. Just moderation.

Oh, and while many of the women here are trying to go alcohol free, I have added wine to my diet. :lol: I was going to wait until I retired, but I decided to start drinking early.

Felicia, living in wine country
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • OregonMother
    Options
    Here's my "I voted" sticker:
    18cw6gouxzfo.jpg

Felicia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,667 Member
    Options
    Jjjjjj
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,667 Member
    Options
    stats for the day, don't have the energy to type --- but 886 total cal
    rode hm 2 gym
    gym workout FINALLY for 1/2hr on lateral machine
    rode gym 2 dome
    rode from Puyallup to sumn sta
    then jog 1/2mi to wk
    then jog back to station
    then ride dome 2 home
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did an Intense Burn Fitness 15 Second Rest DVD. Since Steve will be here and I wanted to do a few things after the water class, I’ll take that Friday and tomorrow I’ll do a Denise Austin Boot Camp DVD

Barbara – I’ve gotten to where I do as little as possible on facebook. I mainly use it to play words with friends game, but even then there aren’t that many people who play. I think a lot of people are getting disenchanted with facebook, I know of quite a few people who are no longer on it.

Okie – we voted a few days ago. I don’t know about you, but after I voted I was ready to see all the campaign signs come down….lol

Went to the neurologist today. Previously, I was taking one pill of phenobarbital one day and two the next. Now until the end of the year I’ll be taking only one pill. Then for Jan and Feb. taking ½ a pill. Then I’m to go for an EEG and if everything’s fine, he’ll take me off it. It’s just me, but I have this “thing” about putting a drug in my system. I’d like to get off it if I can. Hopefully, I can.

Then went to WalMart, returned the Halloween candy we didn’t use. Got a little over $14 back. Bought some food and after using that gift card, only had to pay a little over $2.

Looking for bleach that we can use in the pool. It has to be a concentrate with a certain percentage of concentration. Most stores carry 6% and that’s too little for us. Aldi used to carry what we needed, but they don’t any longer. Going to check Big Lots and the other WalMart. Many times they carry things that the other WM doesn’t carry. So maybe they carry the right concentration. Truthfully, I’m kind of doubting it. We know that CVS carries it, but you know that they’re going to be expensive

Decluttering: I try to declutter by eating…then I usually buy more. Like I may get a bag of candy (only at ½ price). But I am lucky in that I can limit myself to, like, just one Dove candy. Lately, tho, I don’t seem to be wanting it as much, which is a good thing.

Tanya – welcome!

Rene – welcome to a great group. Stop by very often. How cool is it that you’re in Italy? Would love to hear more about your life.

Lisa – how wonderful that the house is rented. I know this is a load off your shoulders. Doing a happy dance for you

Some polls are closed so Vince and Steve are anxiously watching the TV. They both are about of the same mind when it comes to politics. Me? “What will be will be”

Tracey - :/

Wendy – pop in when you can.

Barbie – so glad to hear that Jake’s surgery went well. When Vince had his first surgery, when they took the bandage off, the first thing he said was “when can we do the other eye?”

Paige and Cheryl – welcome

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :)Cheryl in Florida, I came to MFP at age 62 after decades at unsuccessful tries at losing weight. I began by planning and logging my food for the day and sticking to the plan no matter what. Each day I learned something new and made small changes and the plan worked for me. I wish the same for you.

:) It didn't take long for the workers to remove the ancient ovens and Jennair range but it will take awhile to prepare the kitchen for the new stove and cupboard. In the process, they found a water leak under the house and water damage around where the electrical housing for the stove will be. All can be repaired. The electrician can't come til Monday so no stove until then. That means a lot of microwave meals, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and Isagenix shakes.

:) I rode my exercise bike today for the first time since I injured my back in July. I have missed it. It makes watching TV so much more fun.

:) It's chilly enough here that Jake just built a fire in the wood stove.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    To those of you in the US ... what is all your voting for?

As I mentioned, ours was for our local governments (mayors, etc.) ... is yours as well?

M in Oz
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Janetr – what a great card, I was teary

Machka – I love the one thing at a time – it’s what I try to do but sometimes just get overwhelmed
    Each state/county is different but in California we are voting on Governor, lieutenant governor, state assembly person from your district, federal senator, some judges, and other state posts as well as my town’s mayor, city council people, school board… and then 11 propositions.

Lanette – I was raised within the Christian Science religion and while within the forum is not the place for a discussion, I would be happy to discuss it with you. I am no longer practicing.

Lisa – the best news ever!

Well, I have a bit of driving to do this weekend, and my car decided to get sick, lucky me the repair place was willing to take it, hopefully it will not be too expensive. There is never a good time for a car repair!

Thanksgiving is gearing up to be a challenge, I have not been home for any holiday in years, but this one, as it is most likely my brothers last Thanksgiving (he’s dying of cancer) ; is one that I will attend for my mom. She is deep in denial, and if we have a last Thanksgiving together she can pretend that the last 15 years did not exist, and that we are just a happy family. (for the newbies, I am a domestic violence survivor and my brother is my abuser)

Quick bio - 60 this year, never married, no kids, a god mom to a girl and a boy and an Aunt to a boy – the youngest is 20 oldest 26 – the 4 of us are very close. Mom to a dog, Levi. I own 2 small businesses – I am a gardener (no mow and blow; but all the planting, trimming, irrigation repair) 5 mornings a week and I run a machine embroidery business afternoons, evenings, and weekends.

November Gratitudes
    1. Smell = clean dog
    2. Technology = smart phone
    3. Color = sunrise
    4. Food = herbal tea
    5. Sound = silence, but heard the coyotes talking, and loved hearing them
    6. Nature = the waves

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • Machka9
    Options
    #1 Delectable Smell of my homemade chicken vegetable soup.
    #2 Bluetooth Technology in my car.
    #3 The Color Aquamarine in the dichroic glass at the craft show.
    #4 My morning coffee with a sprinkle of my spice blend & a dollop of heavy whipping cream.
    #5 Profound silence after getting in my car after a chaotic day at work. I'm with Penny on this one, wish I had her setting.
    #6 Nature: I love thunderstorms. Especially the smell of the air during a thunderstorm.

Karen in Virginia

I also love the colour aquamarine ... it's within the blue spectrum I like. And coffee, and thunderstorms. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My sister-in-law posted this and I thought it was good ...

lkzkyg4kxd5w.png

So ...

Nov 1 - my roses. :)

Nov 2 - social media and staying connected with family and friends.

Nov 3 - blue. The blue of the mouth of the river/bay/start of the ocean out my window. The blue of the sky. My new blue sleeping top that was nice and comfy last night.

Machka in Oz

Nov 4 - food ... cheese. I ate a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches when my husband was in hospital. They were my comfort food. Also cheese has calcium which I think I need. Unfortunately, cheese does tend to be a bit high in calories so I shouldn't eat too much of it. But anything cheese-y is comforting. :)

Machka in Oz

Nov 5 - sound. I like listening to the waves and the birds, but I think the sound I'm most grateful for today is my husband's voice. Just the fact that we can talk to each other again. :)

M in Oz

Nov 6 - "What in nature are you grateful for?" ... That's hard to narrow down to one thing. Oxford dictionary describes nature as "the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth". I am grateful for all of it. I find that getting out into any sort of nature helps to relieve stress.

Nov 7 - "What memory are you grateful for?" ... Another one with so many choices!!! Recently, I've been grateful for two memories. 1) June 2017 ... my husband and I had a wonderful visit to Canada and did several things to make great memories ... hiking, cycling, visiting my family. I clung onto those memories during the months he was in hospital. 2) When I was 9 years old, my family moved away from where my grandmother lived. One of of the last days there, my grandmother took me to her window and showed me a full moon outside. She told me that on every full moon, we could both look at it and know that even though we were far apart, we were both looking at the same moon. That's a memory which has stuck with me all these years, and every time I see a full moon, I think of my grandmother. She's 97 years old ... but not doing so well ... so I've been thinking of her a lot. And I've also been very glad that my husband and I were able to see her when we visited Canada in June 2017.

M in Oz
  • OregonMother
    Options
    To those of you in the US ... what is all your voting for?

As I mentioned, ours was for our local governments (mayors, etc.) ... is yours as well?

M in Oz

It varies. In my state and county: governor, state representative (my ex husband's cousin. No one in my house voted for him. Lol, but he is winning) county commissioners (my oldest son's ex girlfriend's mother was running. We all voted for her, but she is losing.) judges, congress representative, local fire department funding, and a number of direct democracy state measures. Our senate seat wasn't in play.

Felicia
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC - Thanks for posting the grapefruit pie recipe! Sounds very good! I think I’ll make it graham cracker crust! I think I’d like the crunch.

Sharon, near Seattle
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Heather, your household arrangements all sound so cozy! I love seeing the birds in the morning.

Sharon, near Seattle