The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    @Orphia that is enough money saved for a vacation! Great job!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Hi everyone!!! Day 2 for me. AGAIN!!!!

But I remind myself at least I keep trying.

YAY Day two!! Happy that you are still trying!
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!! Day 2 for me. AGAIN!!!!

But I remind myself at least I keep trying.

So I have been having a stressful time at work and I started to indulge again. For me the toughest time of the day is from 5-7pm. Once I get home and eat dinner, I am OK and the temptation not as strong.

So proud of you all for doing such amazing job.

Glad to hear from you!! Keep going!! You will do this!! I am proud that you keep trying!! I used to have a snack right after work and keep candy in the car. I will probably do the candy again because of Christmas. I would get a piece of "good" candy out as I was passing the liquor store or sometimes be eating it as I was passing. Most times once I am home, I am ok.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    I was listening to an AA audio by Mickey Bush. Very very funny! He says that for those of us addicted to alcohol, we should also not do any “mind altering drugs”. I agree with him. The other night, my friend told me she got us some pot to smoke “so you can have fun Ruby.” It didnt sit right with me , and this Mickey B. Agrees. I am hell bent on keeping my mind clear.

i agree too. i just had this discussion with a friend who has many years of sobriety. (he did too)

but there is a group in the west that gets people "sober" by using X or mdma and pot. i've heard a lot of AF celebrities who use pot.

however, i do feel if you are diagnosed with something like Clinical Depression or BPD-take your meds. just stop self medicating.
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    I was listening to an AA audio by Mickey Bush. Very very funny! He says that for those of us addicted to alcohol, we should also not do any “mind altering drugs”. I agree with him. The other night, my friend told me she got us some pot to smoke “so you can have fun Ruby.” It didnt sit right with me , and this Mickey B. Agrees. I am hell bent on keeping my mind clear.

i agree too. i just had this discussion with a friend who has many years of sobriety. (he did too)

but there is a group in the west that gets people "sober" by using X or mdma and pot. i've heard a lot of AF celebrities who use pot.

however, i do feel if you are diagnosed with something like Clinical Depression or BPD-take your meds. just stop self medicating.

One of my contributing factors was refusing to accept my type II bipolar diagnosis and take the meds. I was and am still responsible for my actions, but having the mood stabilizer reduce the frequency and severity of my ups and downs made it a lot easier to abstain. Especially the depression; I usually get happy puppy hypomania and that's not so bad (for me anyway; turns out other people don't like arrogance and inappropriate humor though), but I was a big down drinker. Drinking was my escape.

This sound like parts of my story. The short time I was on meds I found I couldn't mix the two.
    I found if I had a social drink, and it didn't need to be much while I was on meds the alcohol effect would hit me hard all of a sudden. It was embarrassing. Many times I'd find myself asleep somewhere random :D:|
    Also my moods were worse so than the following thought was that u need more. The circle is viscous.
    I'm glad I don't have to take them now, nor do i have to have alcohol as a get away.. ( this I'm telling myself!!)
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    This conversation speaks to me too. I have been successful in the past getting my weight in check but not in the long term. Red wine is my vice and it is part of my life, daily. I know I need to tone it down but, for some reason, have been unable to do so. My mother was an alcoholic. I worry.

Hello, welcome !! :) there's lots of support here.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new faces. Welcome back, Norm! We are always here, a judgement free and supportive group. Whether you follow along silently or like to comment, all are welcome.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    islandbeez wrote: »
    Want to thank everyone who welcomed me. Hit the gym this morning, which is hard to do when I drink the night before, and got such a high I was smiling ear to ear.... Way better buzz than alcohol

That's a great way to start, Norm! Big hugs to you! <3<3

Thanks love
  • NormInv
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Welcome to the new faces. Welcome back, Norm! We are always here, a judgement free and supportive group. Whether you follow along silently or like to comment, all are welcome.

Thanks sweets!
  • NormInv
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    I've never had a drink...........but I just want to say I think this is a pretty cool thread !!

makes you wanna drink, donnit?
  • NormInv
    Options
    ElC_76 wrote: »
    This conversation speaks to me too. I have been successful in the past getting my weight in check but not in the long term. Red wine is my vice and it is part of my life, daily. I know I need to tone it down but, for some reason, have been unable to do so. My mother was an alcoholic. I worry.

Hello, welcome !! :) there's lots of support here.

I almost did not recognize you! Welcome back!