WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    rebecca -
    so funny that you posted that egg nog - I have a friend who likes it so much she buys 2-3 cases to get her through the non-eggnog season!

smiles Kim in N. California
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Cari – believe me, I’ve tried very hard to keep the lines of communications open with my son. The problem with sending him a card? I have no idea what his address is. I’ve sent him e-cards that never got opened so I don’t even know if he has the same email account or not. I honestly don’t know what happened to him. He wanted us to tell him things, then when we told him what was going on in our lives, he complained that all we talked about was our pool (which we were having installed) and our cats. He complained that we never talked about what was going on in his life. Made it a little hard when we had no idea what was going on in his life. He is the one with the highest IQ, always so logical that at times it drove me crazy but I knew he was right. So what happened? Reminds me of the movie "A Beautiful Mind" where John Nash won a Pulitzer but then had a mental breakdown. Guess I just need to keep the warm, loving son in my heart.

Michele in NC
  • PressingPatience
    PressingPatience Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    hmmmm... egg nog.
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Rebecca - love that egg nog. Glad you reminded me, I need to get some for New Years.
    Spent the day doing chores and cooking red beans and rice for DH. Watched the Cowboys win their game, How bout those Cowboys. That’s for the Texas girls.
    Looking forward to my Strength and Balance class in the morning and bridge in the afternoon. We are going to DS’s ranch for Thanksgiving and I will only be cooking a few sides. DDIL wants her girls to learn to make traditional dishes so they will be helping. They are 15 and 12 but both love to cook. Should be a fun time as we all love to play Mexican Train and Uno.
    Better get to bed as I have a busy day tomorrow.
    SueBDew in TX
  • PurpleSparkles85
    PurpleSparkles85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Beth—thank you for your perspective. My daughter is learning some very hard lessons. We have supported her huge loving giving heart all of her life, and her one sister has lied and extorted money from her. Lately, I’m thinking that even though she hasn’t been drinking, her sister’s past addiction is something my daughter has never had to deal with. It was a joy to hear her say that despite the huge size of the family her no one has ever so much as lied to her, let alone hurt her and she was grateful. Baby steps!

Kim—I worry so much about the wildfires out in CA, something new to me until this past year when my son had to evacuate from the fire near Pacoima/Tarzana. It was bad enough, I thought when he was going to school near Orlando and had to evacuate a few hurricanes. Please, stay safe.

Busy all day: made crockpot cranberry butter, did a brisket in the instant pot for dinner, making pear butter in the crockpot overnight. Kept me from eating since my hands were busy!

Happy girl tonight, actually getting to see my Bears on TV for once. It’s Titans or Cowboys country, for the most part, with a few St Louis people thrown in. Need to win boys! Best team in years! Just, why do we have to have those idiots calling the game but at least it isn’t Joe Buck.

Art—such an important part of life. I’ve always been a dancer, tapped until about 5 years ago. Music is one of the most important things in my life everyday. My daughter is a dancer. My son in CA is in film. My other son and his wife are both artists. I love art of all kinds. As the question was pondered in the show Salvation, it isn’t enough to take just the academics to restart the human race, we need the artists so as not lose our humanness or our cultures.

Have a quiet night, all.
  • PressingPatience
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Busy all day: made crockpot cranberry butter, did a brisket in the instant pot for dinner, making pear butter in the crockpot overnight. Kept me from eating since my hands were busy!

I looked up the recipe for this (crockpot cranberry butter) and it looks amazing. Now I have to go shopping tomorrow. :smile:

Willow in WA USA
  • PurpleSparkles85
    Options
    Just noticed as I was reading the new posts: welcome Shelly!

Reading about cranky husbands. Mine, with his Spanish temper, gets more like his father every day. So, I call him by his dad’s name, and it usually snaps him out of it. Hope it’s all I ever have to do.

Love me some egg nog too. It makes great fudge and my and my son’s new favorite cookies are egg nog snickerdoodles. Even Gluten free they are yummy!

Love from KY, Kathy
  • PurpleSparkles85
    Options
    Willow: it is a bit tart but if you need to adjust the sweetness, wait til after it’s done cooking. Also, I didn’t press it thru the sieve. I just used my stick hand blender right in the crockpot and the fruit was so soft there was no skin or solids left.

Kathy
  • PressingPatience
    Options
    Kathy -- I love all things cranberry and I love fruit butters. I'm surprised I haven't run across this recipe before. ^_^ I'm def gonna be making this.

Willow in WA USA
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I’ve been catching up with y’all but it’s too late to comment. I’ll try to catch up in the morning!

Sweet dreams!
    Dana In Arkansas
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Can't sleep,has anyone heard from Lenora?DJ? Sure do miss them.
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Karen, thanks for your memory of Alex, your Basset buddy in Nebraska years ago. Yep. That’s just like them to decide to nap in the middle of the warm pavement, and they are STUBBORN!

Machka, the weather and your walk sound lovely.

Penny, somehow I was surprised to see a car on Svalbard. I’d pictured trucks, or armored personnel carriers, but not plain ol’ ordinary cars! I guess I expect extraordinary places to have extraordinary accouterments.

Kristin, hello. I don’t think I know you, but I can tell you what’s really helped me is to eat from a child’s plate or luncheon plate. I stick with 3-½-4oz protein which fills about ⅓ my plate, with close to half plate being non carb veggies (not potatoes or rice. Beans are ok. Last bit is carb (see above) and may be fruit or whole grain bread or roll. I’ve lost 28# since mid-July. Began at 259#, now 231. Getting ready for Bariatric surgery, because I know I don’t maintain weight loss well. It will help me get my 5’4” frame to a heart-healthy weight.

Heather UK, I see you like orientalia as well, from your window picture. Lovely peaceful spot! I’ve just checked out your books, and I suspect the children’s books would be beloved by my youngest DGS, who is 6 and non-verbal, but a very good reader, and my DGGD, who is 5. They both get read with regularly. Thanks to Amazon, I might be able to find a copy or two for gifts.

Barbara AHMOD, another reason to get my body in shape for more walking. Our road out of our park here may be toast if the big one hits. It’s ¾ mi. of wind-y, twisty gravel with a 550’ elevation gain in ¾ mile and a major creek crossover. I couldn’t hike that now, for sure. We DO have our own well on property, and neighbors here, incl. DD and DSIL with great hiking skills. And I’m a great propane or campfire cook as well as having a generator. Don’t like the idea of hauling gasoline up the hill, though.

Felicia, for each number up on the scale, the quake is 10x worse. So a 6 is 10x worse than a 5, and a 7 is 10x worse than a 6. They’re talking an 8.8-9 pointer in our area if Cascades let’s loose, I believe. Being in Puget Sound instead of the open Coast will mitigate Tsunami damage somewhat. I’m a tough old bird, and it’ll take a lot to get my “sunny side up” spirits down. We’ll do fine.

Sharon near Seattle in Issaquah
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Cari – believe me, I’ve tried very hard to keep the lines of communications open with my son. The problem with sending him a card? I have no idea what his address is. I’ve sent him e-cards that never got opened so I don’t even know if he has the same email account or not. I honestly don’t know what happened to him. He wanted us to tell him things, then when we told him what was going on in our lives, he complained that all we talked about was our pool (which we were having installed) and our cats. He complained that we never talked about what was going on in his life. Made it a little hard when we had no idea what was going on in his life. He is the one with the highest IQ, always so logical that at times it drove me crazy but I knew he was right. So what happened? Reminds me of the movie "A Beautiful Mind" where John Nash won a Pulitzer but then had a mental breakdown. Guess I just need to keep the warm, loving son in my heart.

Michele in NC

I am sorry for the pain you are feeling. Did your son marry someone who is a citizen of another county? Is that why they live outside the U.S.?

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • trucker743
    Options
    Cari, have you thought about buying some cheap “to-go” cartons so everyone gets to take home leftovers? For me that used to be the best part of the meal!

Lin, you are so very lucky you didn’t get pinned under at a soft body spot! That sounds terrifying.

Pat in OH, those are the glorious colors I remember from my early years in Columbus! I left in 1967 to marry in Arcadia CA. Talk about culture shock! I remember the girls at the first place I worked having a great belly laugh when I told them I was going to try a “tay-co” for lunch! Lol!

Lisa, I have everything crossed that’s crossable for you to get a job worthy of your talents.

KJ(Jelly), what the heck is “Snowman Soup”? Sounds intriguing.

Oh, Pip! It’s been years since I’ve been “up North”, but like many others I’ve found real spirit-feeding energy up there. I hope you get some dry land time to visit s bit of the interior!

Sharon Bear Seattle
  • trucker743
    Options
    Lucy, I saw so many things in your post that I can relate to! You’re making some great positive changes with the trainer and counselor. I find in my weight loss journey that groups are my saving grace. I’m sorry more Bariatric practices don’t offer the support mine does. We have two meetings a month facilitated by a dieticiannand a psychologist. They include both people going through the hoops like a psychiatric evsluation, cardiologist and bone scan and sleep study and prior patients up to 8 and 10 years out who share their experiences with us newbies. I will probably get my surgery date today. I’m having the full bypass with the enthusiastic approval of all my doctors. At 51, you’re not too old to be successful. Remember your guidelines from right after surgery. Keep the temptation foods out of your house. Focus on your protein. Get your cardio exercise and KEEP HYDRATED! I’ve done quite well since I started in July. The dietician suggestd we all try eating from a child’s plate, take tiny bites and focus on being aware of our food. Don’t eat longer than ½ hour, and don’t drink during meals or for ½ hours afterward.

Keep up the work you’re doing. There’s a great group of women with a lot of experience losing weight, and a lot of experience in what to do if you’ve regained. We’ve almost all been there, but a lot are doing well at keeping it off too!

Sharon near Seattle
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My sister-in-law posted this and I thought it was good ...

lkzkyg4kxd5w.png

Nov 1 - smell. My roses. :)
    Nov 2 - technology. Social media and staying connected with family and friends.
    Nov 3 - colour. Blue. The blue of the mouth of the river/bay/start of the ocean out my window. The blue of the sky. My new blue sleeping top that was nice and comfy last night.
    Nov 4 - food ... cheese. I ate a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches when my husband was in hospital. They were my comfort food. Also cheese has calcium which I think I need. Unfortunately, cheese does tend to be a bit high in calories so I shouldn't eat too much of it. But anything cheese-y is comforting. :)
    Nov 5 - sound. I like listening to the waves and the birds, but I think the sound I'm most grateful for today is my husband's voice. Just the fact that we can talk to each other again. :)
    Nov 6 - "What in nature are you grateful for?" ... That's hard to narrow down to one thing. Oxford dictionary describes nature as "the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth". I am grateful for all of it. I find that getting out into any sort of nature helps to relieve stress.
    Nov 7 - "What memory are you grateful for?" ... Another one with so many choices!!! Recently, I've been grateful for two memories. 1) June 2017 ... my husband and I had a wonderful visit to Canada and did several things to make great memories ... hiking, cycling, visiting my family. I clung onto those memories during the months he was in hospital. 2) When I was 9 years old, my family moved away from where my grandmother lived. One of of the last days there, my grandmother took me to her window and showed me a full moon outside. She told me that on every full moon, we could both look at it and know that even though we were far apart, we were both looking at the same moon. That's a memory which has stuck with me all these years, and every time I see a full moon, I think of my grandmother. She's 97 years old ... but not doing so well ... so I've been thinking of her a lot. And I've also been very glad that my husband and I were able to see her when we visited Canada in June 2017.
    Nov 8 - "What book are you most grateful for?" That's easy ... The Bible. :)

I've enjoyed reading all your memories. :)
    Love the discussion about books! :)

Nov 9 - "What place are you most grateful for?" This is not an easy one for me because I don't have the sense of "home" that many people have. I've moved too much for that.
    So ... I've had to give this one some thought. What place?
    Well ...
    I'm grateful for our current house. It's comfortable enough. It's not very big so it's fairly easy to manage. And it has a great garden which my husband has been able to work in since returning home from his accident. It is also close to a couple beaches, which is nice. :)
    Nov 10 - Taste! Hmmm ... salt. In the "Do you crave sweet or salty" discussion, I fall on the "salty" side.
    As it happens, I have a diminished sense of taste and smell for whatever reason, so I divide foods into the basic tastes: sweet, salty, sour or bitter, and from there it's harder to distinguish precise flavours. Although, I do seem to have some odd tastes like, for example, meat and tomato taste metallic to me, and I don't like that. If I salt them well, the metallic taste goes away and they taste salty, which is OK.
    Then, one of the side effects of my husband's accident is that he has lost most of his sense of taste and smell. He has regained a little bit, and they say it should return very gradually. But he'll comment that dinner has no flavour, and I'll think, "It just tastes salty to me. Is there supposed to be more flavour than that?"
    Nov 11 - What holiday are you grateful for? Christmas!!! :)
    I've always loved Christmas. I even picked up 3 Christmas CDs yesterday. I like having a decent amount of time off ... not just one day ... so I can get things done. I like all the decorations. I like the music. I like the services and celebrations.
    Nov 12 - Texture. Smooth. Very, very smooth. Clothing with no texture. Textured clothing is unwearable. Smooth clothing is good.
    Nov 13 - Abilities. Right now, it would have to be organisation. While I feel like I'm in the midst of a chaotic whirlwind (and have been for the past 8 months) and I don't feel very organised, surprisingly enough, stuff is getting done.
    Maybe I should include things like endurance and tenacity ... "skills" I've honed from my long distance cycling carrying over to "real life".
    Nov 14 - Sight. What sight am I grateful for? The ever-changing view out the window of our house looking over the bay and the surrounding hills. Right now it's all grey and misty but it still looks good.
    Nov 15 - Season. The season I am most grateful for is summer. I love summer. I'd love it if the year were divided so that there was 1 month of winter, 1 month of spring, 2 months of autumn, and 8 months of real summer weather. We're coming into summer here and I appreciate each and every summer-like day.
    Nov 16 - What about your body are you grateful for?
    Sometimes I think ... "less and less" these days because I'm literally falling apart.
    But ... I'm grateful for my legs which are one of my main methods of transportation.

Nov 17 - What knowledge are you grateful for? -- The tacit knowledge of cycling. Being able to ride a bicycle. It has taken me all over the world. It's how my husband and I met. It is stress relief. And it is part of my husband's healing process.
    https://www.brainline.org/blog/getting-back-bike/what-brain-derived-neurotrophic-factor-and-why-you-should-care

Nov 18 - What piece of art are you grateful for?

That's a difficult one. I've taken an Art History course, and enjoyed it very much. And I like going to galleries. But I haven't really felt a connection to any particular pieces.

However, the one that is probably my favourite piece is:

Umberto Boccioni, Dynamism of a Cyclist, 1913

a2kfga9qpewz.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamism_of_a_Cyclist

Nov 19 - What touch are you grateful for?

My husband's hugs!! This was something I missed so much when he was in hospital!!

M in Oz
  • trucker743
    Options
    Oh, Ann! You’re going to feel “at loose ends” for a while, like a sock looking for it’s mate in the dryer, but at 75, I can tell you that for me life has gotten richer with each year. Getting to know my girls (now almost 47 and 45, and 38) as women and co-adults has been amazing! Get back on board the eating to live bandwagon with us! By the way, yes, moving from the east to WA state can be a shock.

Sharon near Seattle