WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Replies

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Kelly ~ Love the count down to Christmas stockings. You are a genius! :)

Heather ~ So glad you are getting time to spend with Bea and the other grands.

Carol in GA
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Katla our gas is all imported :'(

Kate UK <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :):| I was able to reschedule my dentist appointment for tomorrow. It's a check-up but you never know what the dentist might find so I want to get it over with and take care of anything if there's anything to take care of.

:)Rebecca, I'm sorry that there are so many holiday disappointments for you. It's good to hear that you are finding things to do to fill in the empty spaces. You have amazing skills to respond to the challenges in your life.

:)Heather, I love hearing about all the things you are enjoying about your new home in your new location.

:)Kelly, Your holiday activities are fabulous.

:)Sidney, I formed the habit of reading this thread in the morning while eating my breakfast (I've eaten the same breakfast nearly every day since starting MFP) and it has put me in the frame of mind to stay focused on eating the right foods and seeking every opportunity to be active.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW WA
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    edited December 2018
    Good morning.

I have been reading, cheering for those of you with good things happening, praying for those of you suffering hardships, smiling at pictures and all the creativity you all exhibit.

Sorry I don't have individual responses. I usually read on my phone, and typing on it is a pain for me. I can't type with my thumbs. ha!

Not too much going on with me, just winding down the semester. We've had too much drama at work, and I am ready for everything to calm down, so I can just do my job. Fortunately, I'm not in the center of the drama, but I am on the edge and every once in a while, I get pulled in. (Like this morning, I have a meeting with our president to "talk," and I literally groaned when the email request came to me Friday afternoon.) So I may need to make some career decisions -- not leaving here, but just thinking about my role and what I want and what would be best.

My middle son finally got a job! He has worked one week so far, at an indoor bounce place in town. Two of his best friends also work there, so he loves it. He worked nearly 20 hours last week, but is scheduled for only 15 this week. I had hoped he would settle in at around 10. He graduates this spring, so we filled out the FAFSA, he took the SAT on Saturday, and he has applied to two of five schools so far. Things are moving along.

My eldest son, who suffers from clinical depression, is in one of his funks. So far, he has still been going into work, but when he's home, it's difficult to get him to do anything. His car needed some basic routine maintenance, and I finally told my husband last night that completing those simple tasks was beyond my son's ability right now. Thankfully, though my husband complains a lot about my son, he got it, so we took care of most of the things in about 30 minutes and $15.

My youngest son is doing great in school. He spent most of yesterday designing a small wand to print on our Toybox 3d printer. It is a very small, basic 3d printer, but it still lets him design and trouble shoot when things don't work out. His little wand (about 3 inches long) actually turned out really well. (For you Harry Potter fans, it looks like the Elder Wand, except that it is blue.) He took it to school today, and I told him, "You aren't supposed to bring weapons to school." And he said, "Like most things, mother, a wand is only a weapon when it is misused." Ha! Love that kid.

Hubby and I are heading down to San Francisco on Thursday, he in the morning, me after work, because he has an office Christmas function on Thursday afternoon (which I will miss) and a Christmas dinner on Friday night (which I get to attend.) We are going to rent a car and try to drive around to some sights outside of San Francisco on Friday before the dinner.

I've been battling a cold for the last week, and this weekend, it got the better of me, but I am back at work this morning and feeling just okay.

Much love to all.

Felicia
    in Foggy Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    Katla our gas is all imported :'(

Kate UK <3

I was just thinking of that this morning, wondering why your gas prices are so high. Then realized that you probably don't have any oil resources on your island. How do you all generate power -- hydro, nuclear? When I was there, I don't recall seeing any power plants.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • sidney7305
    sidney7305 Posts: 36 Member
    Barbie - I definitely plan to read this thread everyday. I want to be more active throughout the day but I want to do more than go to the gym. It’s nasty outdoors now so I feel limited. Any suggestions?
  • PressingPatience
    PressingPatience Posts: 49 Member
    edited December 2018
    Rebecca -- that sounds like a lot of family drama and stress! I hope that things work out for you.

Sidney -- welcome to the board, I'm something of a newbie myself.

I wish I had the energy to keep up with all of the threads, but I honestly don't. I'm reading them though. Every one of them. Something about coffee. Something about school... Decorating everywhere! We haven't started our decorating yet. Maybe this weekend. Maybe. ^_^

Willow in WA USA
  • sidney7305
    Patience-I am loving it actually. It keeps my mind occupied. And so far I’m in a little better mood than I was initially.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Sydney ~ You have such a cheerful sweet smile! :):)

Question: Have any of you had knee replacement surgery? If I get it done, will I be able to take the dog for walks again? It is so nice out today and I miss being outside terribly! At this point, it is very difficult for me to walk on downward sloping drives or sidewalks.

Carol in GA
  • stltrimom1015
    stltrimom1015 Posts: 56 Member
    Good morning.

My eldest son, who suffers from clinical depression, is in one of his funks. So far, he has still been going into work, but when he's home, it's difficult to get him to do anything. His car needed some basic routine maintenance, and I finally told my husband last night that completing those simple tasks was beyond my son's ability right now. Thankfully, though my husband complains a lot about my son, he got it, so we took care of most of the things in about 30 minutes and $15.

Felicia
    in Foggy Willamette Valley, Oregon

Our daughter is the same. She dropped out of college after 2-1/2 years and is now back living with us, kind of drifting through life. She does work but aside from that doesn't do much more than sleep - sometimes 16-17 hours a day. She's 24 and says she doesn't want to be an adult living with her parents but also doesn't seem to be doing anything to change that. I go back and forth between wanting her to be out living her life and being afraid that if she does, something could happen. We almost lost her once before she got put on the correct meds and I don't want to go through that again. I know as parents you never stop worrying about your kids, but some of them you worry about more.

Janet in eastern MO
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    edited December 2018
    Hi all,
    I've taken a couple of photos with my phone, but I will post them after I've written this.

Day went well with Bea. Of course, she is a 2 yr old!

Picked up the kids and played "prisons" until tea time. :D Max is an amazing artist, much better than me. He drew a "key" to get out of prison and it was perfect!

Then we left in order to get down to the beach hut display. Long walk! There were LOADS of people there and a sparkling Christmas star hanging over the hut. We shared a glass of mulled wine.
    We left to go to the Italian pasta place, called Marrocco's, but, when we got there, it was shut! :o:'( Another long walk to the amazing pizza restaurant, called Fatto a Mano. (Hand made) It is real Napolitan pizza, cooked in a wood fired oven. No, it wasn't within calories, but it was worth it. I had a "white" pizza (no tomato sauce) with fennel sausage and spinach.
    Caught the bus home.
    What a lovely day. Lots of walking.

Our dentist appointment tomorrow has been cancelled as the new dentist hasn't got her paperwork sorted out. We have rescheduled for two weeks away. Only a check up. The plumber is coming tomorrow to look at the radiator we want relocated.

Will post photos in a minute.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • stltrimom1015
    stltrimom1015 Posts: 56 Member
    It was a good and bad weekend here. I went to a holiday party on Friday night and had a good time although I ate more than I had planned to and probably more than I should have. It wasn't bad food though (salmon, roasted potatoes, green beans, salad) except for the chocolate cupcake - I couldn't pass that up. I think I worked most of those calories off during my workout on Saturday - 2+ hours on the bike trainer. I think I was feeling a little guilty and stressed about missing my cousin's funeral, but it just wasn't possible to go. It was out of state and we didn't find out about it until Friday. It was a sudden death (they still don't know what caused it), she was only 33.

Sunday I volunteered at a trail marathon so was out in the cold and wind for about 5 hours. Ended up eating a lot not-so-good-for-me foods. Stopped for fast food on the way home (way too many calories there!) and skipped my workout for the day. I enjoy volunteering at races but by the time I got home, I was chilled all the way down to my bones. It took most of the rest of the day just to get warmed up! I was afraid to step on the scale this morning, but was pleasantly surprised to see that I hadn't gained any weight - didn't lose any either but after 3 days of not watching my food intake too well, I'll take no gain as a win.

Janet in eastern MO
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    sidney7305 wrote: »
    Barbie - I definitely plan to read this thread everyday. I want to be more active throughout the day but I want to do more than go to the gym. It’s nasty outdoors now so I feel limited. Any suggestions?

:) There are so many good reasons to be outdoors for mental health that I am in favor of buying good waterproof walking shoes, a warm coat, and necessary accessories. I walk outside every day, no matter what the weather. If you keep reading this thread, you'll hear from others who use various exercise videos and other techniques for exercising indoors. Stay open minded to new ideas and you'll find the one that works for you.

:)Janet in eastern MO, I rarely go to funerals or memorials especially if there is a long distance to travel. Instead I give a great deal of thought to the friend or relative who has passed and share good memories of the person with someone else and attempt to make use of whatever I've learned by knowing that person. It's tough to not feel guilty, but guilt doesn't really help anyone.

:) This morning I walked the dogs for 40 minutes before breakfast and 100 minutes after with my friend. I made some important phone calls, went to town to do some needed errands, ate lunch and rode the exercise bike for over an hour while watching TV. The next thing might be a nap.

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Sydney ~ You have such a cheerful sweet smile! :):)

Question: Have any of you had knee replacement surgery? If I get it done, will I be able to take the dog for walks again? It is so nice out today and I miss being outside terribly! At this point, it is very difficult for me to walk on downward sloping drives or sidewalks.

Carol in GA

I had both knees replaced after losing 125#, the right in January 2015 and the left in Sept. of 2015. I feel like between the weight loss and the new improved knees I was given a new lease on life. My knees still hurt, actually more than I thot they would, but so very much improved, prior to surgery the pain was excruciating to where I did not do stairs at all and avoided walking any more than absolutely necessary. Yes, you will be able to walk the dog :)

Janetr OKC
  • sidney7305
    Peachy-Thank You!!
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks ladies, I think I dodged a bullet with not attending the past weekends event. I am curious to know how my eldest sister handled it all!
    With my, what did you it Barbie, amazing coping skills, I shall weather this holiday just fine.💗 I received a text back from middle son, and he said, "mom we can have Christmas whenever, no worries", which is so true. He understood, and that is a good thing! Today I mailed my youngest sons Christmas box, for $23, so that's done. So my plan now, is buying fun things once a week. Even if its 2 Christmas cookies from the bakery! I can't afford to bake up a storm, and technically its only me thats appreciated the Christmas specialty cookies and bars anyway. So I shall be saving my waistline, and my $! Plus getting a treat for me, it reminds me of when my Mom filled the 3 tiered tray, with fudge, spritz cookies, divinity, snowball cookies, and hello dollies. It was magnificent! We got a couple pieces and it was really special. You all would've adored my Mom! The only lady on the planet that, while making divinity, could curse like a sailor! It was really a site to behold! Haahaa!

Hugs!
    Rebecca

4645svnenop3.jpg

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Sorry for the curse word in the meme! It seemed apt!😋