What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• AlexisWalker125
    AlexisWalker125 Posts: 3 Member
    20 minute kickboxing session.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Coached row with the men's team this evening. 3 x 10min/2min rest. During the 10 min row we did 4 min at 18, 3 min at 20, 2 min at 22, and 1 min at 24.

We were in our bay instead of the juniors' bay because of how small the men's team is and thus we weren't on a rubberized surface. Because of that, my erg slowly crept backwards towards the singles so my last interval wasn't so great because I was really conscious of potentially brushing up against the boats behind me and then realized that I just couldn't do any lay back let alone push as hard as I wanted to. This was of course after putting a yoga mat under the front of it so it would stop creeping forward.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    30 min stair workout in PT
    3miles/30min hill running
    45 min circuits
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,730 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm too boring to post every day. Today was typical for Tuesdays right now: Spin class in the morning, coached machine row with my breast cancer survivors rowing team this evening, Concept 2 machines on individual (not linked) slides.

The latter's a fairly diverse group, more wellness program than competitive, so the workouts tend to be mild. Tonight's was a 10 minute warmup, then 6 x (3 minutes rowing, 1 minute 30 seconds off). The first 5 pieces were to hold a particular rating (strokes per minute) target, some self-picked, some coach-picked. (I did 22, 31, 31, 20, 18). I picked the 31s to see if I could do them on slides without creating chaos. ;) The last piece was a cool down.

Most days I'm just putting in my 8k plus cool down for the C2 holiday challenge, sustainable splits and rating, working my way through various technical focuses to pass the time. (I'm ahead of schedule so just did the shorter team row today.) Tuesdays and Thursdays add spin class.

Dull story. :)

I was about to ask about the 31s! That's great about being ahead of schedule for the holiday challenge as well.

The first 31 was a choice, as noted. It went OK, no bumping, gratifyingly - not going all out, but decent pace for me. The 2nd, coach said "repeat the last piece rating". I said "Wot??!?!!" (out loud ;) ) but did it, similar pace.

The Challenge is reaching the difficult phase: No meaningful added strength, legs slightly cooked, HR lower at any given intensity, can't hold a decent HR in spin (drops like a rock between songs for sure) so slight calorie-estimate penalty from #@*& device even though pace similar, getting bored with the machine rowing (soooo not a river!). Not a lot of volume in the abstract, but more than usual volume at this intensity for me. At about 110K out of the 200K. As usual, I'll want to throw the erg through the window on 12/25, but won't. ;) So far, so good.
  • aokoye
    1000m erg test. Times two - with a 15 or 20 min rest in between and a half an hour warm up.

I got 3:30 on the first one and 3:40 on the second - I should have gone out harder on the second one but I kind of psyched myself out given how much the first one hurt. That said, I'm really happy with my first effort and I think I paced it really well (though I wonder if I could have given a little more in the last 150).
  • aokoye
    I'm too boring to post every day. Today was typical for Tuesdays right now: Spin class in the morning, coached machine row with my breast cancer survivors rowing team this evening, Concept 2 machines on individual (not linked) slides.

The latter's a fairly diverse group, more wellness program than competitive, so the workouts tend to be mild. Tonight's was a 10 minute warmup, then 6 x (3 minutes rowing, 1 minute 30 seconds off). The first 5 pieces were to hold a particular rating (strokes per minute) target, some self-picked, some coach-picked. (I did 22, 31, 31, 20, 18). I picked the 31s to see if I could do them on slides without creating chaos. ;) The last piece was a cool down.

Most days I'm just putting in my 8k plus cool down for the C2 holiday challenge, sustainable splits and rating, working my way through various technical focuses to pass the time. (I'm ahead of schedule so just did the shorter team row today.) Tuesdays and Thursdays add spin class.

I was about to ask about the 31s! That's great about being ahead of schedule for the holiday challenge as well.

The first 31 was a choice, as noted. It went OK, no bumping, gratifyingly - not going all out, but decent pace for me. The 2nd, coach said "repeat the last piece rating". I said "Wot??!?!!" (out loud ;) ) but did it, similar pace.

The Challenge is reaching the difficult phase: No meaningful added strength, legs slightly cooked, HR lower at any given intensity, can't hold a decent HR in spin (drops like a rock between songs for sure) so slight calorie-estimate penalty from #@*& device even though pace similar, getting bored with the machine rowing (soooo not a river!). Not a lot of volume in the abstract, but more than usual volume at this intensity for me. At about 110K out of the 200K. As usual, I'll want to throw the erg through the window on 12/25, but won't. ;) So far, so good.

Yeah slides and high rates are - interesting. I did ok this morning - which is really an average of "really good" and "somewhat bad". I just tell myself that it's a matter of getting used to it. I think I've rowed on slides maybe 5 times in total, though it looks like the bulk of my coached rows will be on them from now on.

My initial goal for the Holiday Challenge was 100k but I should probably up it to 150k given that I'm at just under 74k now.
  • firef1y72
    PT was cancelled this morning so I pulled one of the workouts she's given me for days when we can't train.

10km on spin bike
    2.5km rower

10 sets of : 10 squats, 10 press ups and 10 sit ups

10 min cool down on elliptical
    Stretch

Then this afternoon I did a 2mile run
  • Adam__20000
    Adam__20000 Posts: 65 Member
    15 mile walk
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,730 Member

Yeah slides and high rates are - interesting. I did ok this morning - which is really an average of "really good" and "somewhat bad". I just tell myself that it's a matter of getting used to it. I think I've rowed on slides maybe 5 times in total, though it looks like the bulk of my coached rows will be on them from now on.

My initial goal for the Holiday Challenge was 100k but I should probably up it to 150k given that I'm at just under 74k now.

I suppose this is a side-track/hijack . . . so apologies to others uninterested. :flowerforyou:

Slides should help you with that "erg creeping across the floor" thing, I would hope - on slides, you're, um, encouraged to get the energy into the flywheel, not just into the overall physical system. (Erg creep is literally wasted energy, of course, though your backwards (bow-wards) creep is probably better than forward (stern-wards) creep). There probably exist some things that are still bad habits that will keep you in the center of the slides, but it definitely punishes some bad habits that are rewarded on a fixed erg.

I'm assuming you're a bigger-boats sweep rower? That makes the erg feedback even more important, I think. In a single (and even to a small extent in a double/pair) it's hard to lie to yourself about whose bad habits are negatively affecting the boat, and what that effect is. In that sense, singles are brutally honest. ;)
  • aokoye
    edited December 2018

I suppose this is a side-track/hijack . . . so apologies to others uninterested. :flowerforyou:

Slides should help you with that "erg creeping across the floor" thing, I would hope - on slides, you're, um, encouraged to get the energy into the flywheel, not just into the overall physical system. (Erg creep is literally wasted energy, of course, though your backwards (bow-wards) creep is probably better than forward (stern-wards) creep). There probably exist some things that are still bad habits that will keep you in the center of the slides, but it definitely punishes some bad habits that are rewarded on a fixed erg.

I'm assuming you're a bigger-boats sweep rower? That makes the erg feedback even more important, I think. In a single (and even to a small extent in a double/pair) it's hard to lie to yourself about whose bad habits are negatively affecting the boat, and what that effect is. In that sense, singles are brutally honest. ;)

Yeah if I get to the men's team's session early enough, I'll be able to get my hands on slides. My club (which is masters only) is right next door to the juniors' club and we mutually share some equipment (and at least one of the coaches works for both organizations). In the morning we use their ergs which, right now, are all on slides but in the evening we don't really have access to their equipment and I think we only have one or two pairs of slides. 2/3 of my coached erg sessions are in the morning as I prefer the women's coached ergs, they aren't exclusive to the women's team (though they get priority), and they are three days a week as opposed to once a week.

That said, you're right about being encouraged energy into the flywheel when I'm on the slides. You're also right that I am almost exclusively in an 8 right now. I really want to learn how to scull in a single but I suspect that won't happen this season for logistical reasons. I did have one row with the advanced men which was a very interesting but good "now I'm being forced into good habits" situation. Most of the time I'm in a mixed novice boat, however that time the coach's eyes were almost entirely on me and the cox and the person sitting behind me in 3 had no problems giving me tips as well. I'm also only 5' 8" which means I was really having to work on lengthening my stroke.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    20km / 38:35 / 394 calories
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm just beginning so only 1 set usually 15 reps with 3/4 left in reserve...

Goblet squats 10lb
    DB Bentover Row 10lb
    DB Floor press 10lb
    DB Overhead press 10lb
    Hipthrusters body weight
  • BlackNuclearDad
    BlackNuclearDad Posts: 56 Member
    27 min body weight exercises and 60 mins on the treadmill.x7td3t71ysuw.jpeg
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    itk4pk3pkii3.png
  • anglilacs
    anglilacs Posts: 165 Member
    Strength training class for 60 minutes
  • 796fra
    796fra Posts: 45 Member
    60 min Barre
    5 mile jog on treadmill
  • MHarper522
    MHarper522 Posts: 108 Member
    1.5 mile run (interval), weight lifting (leg day 🙌🙌) and calisthenics (core, mostly).
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Enjoying a nice day and went outside for my workout:

(1) Walked one mile on a high school track in 17:54.

(2) A kettlebell/burpee combo consisting of 5 burpees and then 15 two-hand KB swings with a 24kg KB and then a one-arm suite case carry with the same KB for 10 meters and finally walk for 40 meters active recovery equals one round. Started a new round every 2 minutes. Completed 20 rounds in 19:40.

(3) Another walk 1 mile on the high school track in 18:05.

Had plans to do more but (2) above was more taxing that I had expected.
  • firef1y72
    Yesterday's workout

k9gkeojneu7u.jpg

Plus 2.5 mile run.

Today's was a 7.5 mile run
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    edited December 2018
    fkbpob8b5bgs.png

Kayaking, not swimming.