WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    Kay prayers! Sounds like you got your mother the help she needs and you are advocating for her. Hopefully you can soon take some time for you now to recover from the stress.

I agree Christmas can be toned down this year. I think sometimes we place to much on ourselves to try and make Christmas a great experience for everyone else and neglect ourselves in the process.

DS#2 is working Christmas Eve and Christmas so we will celebrate as a family Dec 26th.

We went to a wonderful choir concert with some friends yesterday. It helped me get more in the spirit.

:heart: Margaret
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    (((Kay, Kay's Mom, Sis, and Dad))) So sorry to hear about your mom! Prayers for you all.

Carol in GA
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Today is Dewey Decimal System Day!

"December 10, 1851, is the birthday of Melvil Dewey (1851-1931), inventor of the Dewey Decimal system of library classification. As the most widely used library classification system, the Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) or Dewey Decimal System has been in use since 1876 when American Librarian Melvil Dewey developed and established it. Divided into ten main categories, the numerical system arranges mostly non-fiction publications. ... As the most widely used classification system in the world, the DDC is found in 135 countries around the world and translated into 30 different languages." As a child who practically lived in the library and adult who is still an avid reader, I am most grateful to Mr. Dewey!

Becca - Great boopable nose there! (Must boop my cats right now while I'm thinking about it...)

Kim - Back when Philip was still in the tech world and working in secure spaces, a DOD background investigator scared the heck out of our new neighbor one morning when he dropped by and started asking questions about the people next door.

Kathy - What a relief to have your meds working right again!

Allie - Hope you are able to keep your head down during the workplace drama. Philip has a cold or something too... I'll start taking zinc supplements the second I start to feel like I'm catching it.

Drkatiebug - That sounds really scary - things can go downhill so fast at that age. I'm holding your mom in the light.

Our letter carrier must hate me. We do a lot of mail ordering year-round, but at the moment we're getting multiple packages daily as the Christmas gifts come in. I took some time to get caught up on the gift wrapping yesterday, so there's a spot of bright color in the living room now. I still need to get up in the attic to get the Christmas stockings down, if nothing else.

Now it's time to do some paying work, even though I'd rather settle down with a good book!

-Yvonne in TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,505 Member
    saturdays stats for that day

walk hm 2 gym- 23.33min, 1.5mi= 145c
    SPIN- 60min, 108ahr, 84aw, 85aw, 13.7mi= 364c
    floor exercises- 33.44min, 3sets of 15, 12 different exercises, 102ahr= 195c
    walk gym 2 bus station- 28.40min, 1.6mi= 150c
    walk bus stop to hotel-23.19min, .2mi=
    walk around seattle- 2hr 48min, 2.5mi= 412c

1266 cal
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Kay Praying for your Mom and you. Its so scary when these things happen so suddenly and unexpectedly. Please keep us in the loop. Big hug <3

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    stats for that day, yesterday:

2018 jingle bell run- 7.36min mi, 167max heart rate, 156average heart rate, 3.5mi= 505c
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Hugs and strength and <3 to all who are facing challenges this day and the days ahead.

Katiebug ((( <3 )))) hope the meds are squared away and working to heal your mom.

NYKAREN
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Tonight my eldest daughter and I are going alone to see the CP holiday train. It is in town too late for the Grands and we found out the neighbouring town doesn’t have the full performance. She is named in honour of my Dad so it will be a special evening for both of us tonight. Tomorrow night we are going in the City again to see the train but my youngest daughter and Grands will join us!

They started doing that after I left Canada.

I do wish they'd do interesting things like that here in Australia.

M in Oz

I wasn’t aware of it until probably 5 years ago, but found out last night this is the 20th year doing it. They have raised 14.5 million cash and 4.5 million pounds of food for food banks across Canada doing this. They don’t go further East than Montreal.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    Yvonne - your memory of the minister's comment at your mom's funeral, "With great love comes great loss" really hit home with me. Even though my DH has his moments, I'm sometimes struck at how very lonely I will be if he goes before me. He tells me I'd miss him because he's the one who can reach the high shelves and open jars. It goes much deeper than that and I tell him often.

Karen in NY and Yvonne - aren't lentils great?? Never ate them as a child but they are now one of my favorites, loaded with fiber and quick cooking.

Karen in VA
    - wow with all the snow!! Does your town shut down when there's that much snow - can the plows keep up? Our road crews know where some of the doctors, nurses, and emergency services personnel live and try to plan their snowing and sanding routes to hit those areas early in the day and last pass at night.

Barbie
    - that's a great little coat! You and your sub dancing instructor look fabulous! Glad you did what the doctor ordered and are back on your feet doing what you love to do!

Pip - thank you for the photos of downtown Seattle and you and Kirby. You crazy kids, lol, live it up! The photos were a walk down memory lane for me, the stores go all out and really get into the spirit of the season. I don't often miss that city but Christmas is always special during that time.

Allie
    - good luck with the Mary situation. Does Mary have a job there that's hard to replace? Some employees are good at convincing others they are irreplaceable and the bosses buy into it. Good that Allison is seeing things coming in with a fresh set of eyes. My last job, there was "Mary" who made life miserable for other staff. After she and her supervisor both retired, her replacement got right on board and not only did a better job, made many improvements and was a breath of fresh air.

Lisa
    - excited for you starting your new job. Yes, please let us know how the first day goes!!

Barbara
    - safe travels on your medical/shopping trip today! TJ's!!! I was there last week and loaded up on their wild canned salmon - $3.49 a can vs. $6 or more everywhere else. Good idea staying overnight and not having to navigate those dark roads tonight.

Machka
    - loved that Hanging the Wash out in the Summer list, lol. I think of you often dealing with the "helpers" and caseworkers assigned to him and their inability to look beyond their lists. Sending strength.

Kay - so glad you were nearby to help deal with your mother's kidney stone/infection. WOW that went south fast. Happy to hear your sis is coming to help. Puzzling to me they told your mom they'd have results from the urine sample in 4 days. Every time I've been in for bladder problems/UTI (one did turn out to be a kidney stone) I'd donate a urine sample and they'd have the results in minutes and I'd walk out with the right meds. Maybe this was a different type of testing they were doing? Glad to hear she is in excellent health otherwise - I am praying she is on the mend and recovers quickly from all this. Sorry to hear about your aunt! Hope she's home way before Christmas as well!!

All of this brings to mind why we exercise and take care of ourselves.....we want our "future selves" to be able to deal with medical emergencies and shorten recovery times.

I went back to doing some fasting mimicking last Thursday and am down a few pounds, within a couple pounds of where I want to be. Last summer when I did a few weeks of Mosley's 5:2 fasting, I became familiar with using my hunger as a tool and recognizing that if I ignore it, it goes away while my body is doing some amazing things. So this time, it's pretty easy now that I've set my mind to it. My own tricks are no added sugar (cookies, candy) and not eating after supper keeping 12 to 14 hours before the night meal and breakfast. Seems that pounds that come on quick go away fairly quickly if I catch them early.

Speak of fasting, where's Mary? Sharon near Seattle - how are you doing? Welcome new gals!!

OK better get going.

Lanette
    Chilly & foggy SW WA State
  • PressingPatience
    PressingPatience Posts: 49 Member
    It's been a couple of days since I've hit the boards, and I was behind a few hundred posts.

Sorry to hear that there are so many family members sick and in the hospital, my heart goes out to y'all in your time of need.

I'm still fighting my fatigue flare... no energy at all to do much more than stare at the screen and watch videos, and occasionally type a few words here and there. I did actually have the energy to both shower and do the dishes, so... progress? But that's it for the day. Blah.

I'll keep reading as I have the energy, but it's hard keeping up with y'all.

Willow in WA State
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    edited December 2018
    Well Allison will email HR and Dr Ho..they are closing the last 2 days of the month to close the books for the year and I had to reschedule those patients,and the kicker is we wont be getting paid..
    Lynette- no I can do her job or her job that she doesn't do...I basically do that now...
    I can do it here in back office without people harassing me.
  • pipcd34
    O
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,060 Member
    edited December 2018
    Barbara: I moved from Hawaii to Colorado for a big job promotion from a small statewide council to a national position. Great for the career, and although I grouse, we are comfortable here in Colorado as long as we can occasionally get away to a warm beach. Happy shopping! May you find everything that's on your lists.

Kay: Prayers going up for your mom, her aunt and your family. So glad you stepped in when she was in pain.

Karen in Virginia: Hope you don't have to shovel the 13+ inches of snow. Pictures?

Kim: Hugs in big bunches for all you are going through.

Katla: How awesome you got to see DS! How soft is the starter? You just never know about TSA. Glad I will never be in the presence of the evil cat-poisoner. Wouldn't be pretty.

Allie: Sorry your cold is so persistent, but glad that Allison is getting the ball rolling with regard to Mary. H.R. may put air brakes on any extreme staff restructure because she is a long-term employee and must have good reviews in her folio. But it sure sounds like a warning is order. Where is our HR pro, Terry in VT?

I am a domestic homebody today. I want to put out a few more decorations and bake a batch of cookies for DH. I'm getting pretty good at estimating the conversion of sugar to monk fruit for sweetening. The pull-cord for the large pleated shade in the cat's room snapped last night, and I'm also hoping I can get Budget Blinds scheduled to come show me some new options for that room. The online design guide has my designer-wanna-be juices flowing :)

Stay well. Stay healthy. Stay warm! We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    edited December 2018

Allie - My cold or whatever it is still lingers here as well, day 13 for me. I am definitely better, now I mostly am just tired. My breathing is OK now and no more icky stuff getting coughed up (TMI?). I don't feel like I need drugs as soon as I wake up to function. Progress is being made for sure! I hope things go well at the office.

Okie who is back in the TX Hill Country

Add me to the list of people knocked down because of a cold. It is basically over, but yesterday, I did very little but sleep and watch episodes of The Office. Lol I am at work today, but I really do feel like I could have slept more. If it's any consolation, my kids have had this cold as well, and it has taken them a very long time to fully recover as well. Two of us had flu shots, so I don't think it was that. Just a very nasty, lingering cold.

I can't even begin to describe the stress at work right now. That could have been another reason that I did nothing yesterday -- just trying to recover emotionally. I think everything will be fine, in the end, but I had to let a faculty member know about 10 days ago that we are eliminating his position and that he will not have a contract next school year. He is young, and did not handle it well, which resulted in lots of student drama that we really didn't need. He keeps posting messages on facebook, I guess thinking he is making things better, but he just keeps making things worse. I keep telling him to come in and talk to me and in my last message, I told him that hashing it all out through email and social media is not effective. I've been here three hours so far this morning, and no sight of him.

I will get through it, and so will he, but his hurt and anger is very destructive right now.

Hubby is in Florida this week. I am ready for Cancun! :sunglasses: I need me some warmth and sun.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon, where it was ridiculously foggy this morning
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    shkcun4td3qu.jpg
    Regal, wise looking cat 🐱🐱😁💗
    Rebecca
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited December 2018
    Drkatie - What a horrible emergency and how great that you were able to deal with it so well. I hope your mother will now recover quickly. Are you going to report the PA?

Okie - I could possibly have gone out for a run late morning, but I would just have finished 1 hr 40 mins hard exercise on three machines, plus yoga and strength training and weights. :o Not impossible, but I usually need a couple of hours to recover. The running is my bonus calories. As it happens, I asked DH to help me move the beds so I could make them all up while he was writing. I managed to find sheets etc and duvets, along with pillows etc and sorted through a whole lot that smelled a bit musty. Some I threw away and some are in a pile for a hot wash. Then I made the beds. All that left me knackered! I found a box for a bedside table and retrieved side lights from another box. So at least all the visitors have a comfortable bed to sleep in and bedside lights. I have put two pillows each. I hate it in other people's homes when I only have one pillow and no bedside light. Grrrrrrrrrr! I like to read in bed. I sleep on one pillow though as I am a front sleeper.
    DH will help me with more tidying up tomorrow. We still have boxes round the beds. :o:o:o
    I suggested that we could put some more pictures up so we went on a walk to find suitable fixings. One wall is a hollow wood partition. I got very annoyed at DH because he didn't listen to me when I knew what we were looking for and he did not want to look it up on Utube. Why on earth not? We found something, but he is still not confident. My attitude is, if you don't know, ask. Or look it up. He just tries to figure it out on his own.
    By which time I was so frustrated and tired I abandoned the idea of running and didn't want to risk more annoyance with him, so we both sat down to do our Christmas cards. Finished those. :D What a relief!
    Then I got annoyed because he was reluctant to take my foreign ones to the post office. He has to go anyway as he has Australian relatives. Grrrrrrrrrr! I was sooooooooooooo annoyed with him.
    I do hope we can get over this narking at each other. My fear is he is starting to have memory and comprehension issues. I do hope not. He often seems to be deliberately misunderstanding me. But it may be a genuine problem. I hope it's just Christmas tension.

Sorry to go on.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx