December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Hey savy shoppers! Amazon is offering "Up to 30% Off on Nike Reebok Adidas and More!" - Saw Reebok Compression Leggings for $17, Saucony shoes for $55 and more. Might want to check it out. Pretty sure it is today only

Click for direct link: AMAZON.COM[/url] to go to the sale page.

Adding to the awesome discount list:

Mizuno 15% off (plus they have some awesome clearance deals right now. I just got 2 pairs of Wave Rider 21s for the price of 1!) : code IOPM-15B

25% off a pair of FlipBelt crops using code BIBRAVE

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Hey all. I'm feeling a lot better for having had a couple of sleep ins this week. I think im run down and am looking for to a month off work starting next week. I plan on having another day off again tomorrow, and don't expect any running over the weekend. But I'll be getting runs in most days on holiday, I'm travelling around the country and have arranged runs with others I've met in a Facebook group, and a couple of park runs. I'm really looking forward to it!

I've kinda given up on all other goals for the year. I'll start again fresh on 1st Jan. Its just too challenging the next 2 weeks.

@Avidkeo Great plan. You've done brilliantly this year, and it's time for your off-season.

You may have just inspired me to plan mine.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    December Running Challenge
    Goal: 100 km
    Done: 24/100

13/12/18 Run 6 km
    10/12/18 Run 6 km
    5/12/18 Run 5 km
    3/12/18 Run 7 km
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Spreadsheets! The first tracks all my workouts while the second tracks running only. I've been using google sheets for ages but am slowly transitioning to numbers. The codes in orange on the first spreadsheet are how I track FitnessBlender videos. The hyperlinked dates on the first spreadsheet go to the videos while the links on the second spreadsheet go to updates here.

k4rpvysc7vwh.jpg

xflau09py6vt.jpg
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that I added my monthly mileage correctly in my last post...finals week brain is real...

2 quick-ish miles on the treadmill at lunch today. It was a much-needed stress relief break in the middle of the day. Scheduled for 4 miles on Saturday - eek!

15.5/38.0 miles total for December so far
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Orphia and @MegaMooseEsq thanks for sharing the spreadsheet screenshots! I cant wait to go home and nerd binge!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    dewit wrote: »
    A bit like me writing all appointments in the family wall-calendar and just forgetting to check every morning what is scheduled for the day? It turns out however, that the mere thing of putting it all down helps it fix better in my brain. :smile:
    That's how my brain works too. I figured out I am a visual learner in college. I'd take notes in class, go back to my dorm room and copy them neatly into another notebook, read over them once again before the test, and I was good to go. Now, I live by lists. I don't always look at them when I need to, but it really does help me remember stuff if I just write it down.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Ha! You people are so much more organized than I am! I don't have a spreadsheet. I only kind-of have a cobbled together training plan. I have to put my races on my phone calendar to remember when they are. Strava keeps track of most stuff for me. I think I must be the most unorganized runner on this thread!

Not even remotely ma'am. I let my apps keep track of my running distances for the month and have never really followed a training plan for any of the races I have run. I know I need to incorporate more speed work so I guess I need to read up on beginning speed work, suggestions anyone?

Have been running in the 32F weather when there has not been any rain/icy road patches(because car vs runner). Averaging about 5 miles per run at just over 12 minute miles, sometimes negative splits, sometimes not. Next years goal is to improve speed wise.

Note on the cotton stuff for running: When I started this journey back in 2013 all I had to run in was cotton, they didn't make running shorts big enough for me. Body Glide quickly became my best friend, but it also encouraged me to work on form with hips and shoulders in alignment, feet pointed straight and all that. These past 6 months have been better as far as chafing(thanks for the NipEaze suggestion :D ) but I believe my form has suffered because I have not had to worry about chafing as much in other places d/t having "running shorts and tech shirts". just my couple of pennies worth.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq
    I noticed you're considering the dc half in may. I'm signed up. I enjoy the race. It's the weekend before summer season starts but still fun.

And you might be able to meet the Old Girl and Speed Demon
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Oh, you better believe I have a spreadsheet too. I have one organized by year to keep track of steps, miles run and walked, other exercise, etc.
    I have monthly miles graphed as well. For half/marathon training I take the plan from our coach and put it into my spreadsheet with the speedwork plan and the long run goal for the week, and then enter what I actually did. I love seeing all the data. During marathon training I really liked seeing how the plan laid out for me each week and counting down how many long runs were left. I consider myself my own research subject so the data is so interesting to look at over time.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    12/01/18 :::: 7.7 :::: 7.7
    12/02/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 10.8
    12/03/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 10.8
    12/04/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 10.8
    12/05/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 10.8
    12/06/18 :::: 3.0 :::: 13.8
    12/07/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 16.9
    12/08/18 :::: 3.2 :::: 20.1
    12/09/18 :::: 5.3 :::: 25.4
    12/10/18 :::: 4.9 :::: 30.3
    12/11/18 :::: 2.3 :::: 32.6
    12/12/18 :::: 2.7 :::: 35.2
    12/13/18 :::: 4.8 :::: 40.0

Snuck out of work a little early today - the sun was out and temps were a little warmer. At it seemed warmer although it was just still below freezing. I met a couple of friends, one for the beginning and the other for the end so the time went quickly. By chance it sums up to 40.0 miles for the month so far. That puts me just slightly behind for my goal of 100 miles but I'm catching up.

Ooh, I need to record monthly steps / kms run in mine over the years. It's a pain opening the Garmin Connect app or Strava website and looking them up. Something to do on 31 December, which appears to be the one day Garmin gives you a figure for the calendar year's totals.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Today I got to run 5.61 miles around Lake Harriet. Although I’ve run a route past the lake a couple of times since moving, and the Reindeer Run last weekend was on the road around the lake, I haven’t actually run the path around the lake from my new place yet. It made for a nice loop, though I needed the Peregrines to get there as the sidewalks along the cemetery have never really cleared - too much shade and not enough foot traffic, I’m guessing.

Today I did the sleeves + racerback + tech shirt + windbreaker combo and it worked fine, though it was almost 30 degrees out without much wind - practically summer! I think the variable that hit me yesterday and today was the humidity. Usually winter is very dry here, but we're having an odd stretch of freezing fog right now. The fun never ends!

I ordered another pair of sleeves and two mid-weight shirts with higher collars - no cotton this time! I think I thought that so long as it wasn’t next to my skin it would be okay, and to be honest they did work fine a couple of times, including the race last weekend, but I can see how I was pushing it in the damper weather like yesterday. And I guess didn’t really want new glasses that bad, since I keep spending money on running stuff. One day I’ll have everything I need, right? Right?

December Total: 31.31 miles

2018 Races!
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K Chip time: 0:32:20
    August 25: Glo Run Night Race 5K Chip time: 0:30:40
    September 8: Helen Gold 10K DNS - trip postponed
    September 9: City of Lakes Half Marathon Net time: 2:28:25
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 10K Chip time: 1:05:14
    October 21: Mankato Half Marathon Chip time: 2:29:25
    November 24: Mustache Run 10K Chip time: 1:04:56
    December 8: Reindeer Run 10K + 5K Chip time: 1:03:57 / 0:32:34

2019 Races! (italics under consideration)
    January 26: Securian 10K
    February 16: Half Fast 10K ($20 price jump 1/30)
    March 23: Hot Dash 10Mi
    April 27: Get In Gear Half or 10K ($5 price jump 12/31, 1/31)
    May 4: Door County Half Marathon, Peninsula State Park, WI (if no half in April and no WY trip in June) ($5 price jump 12/31, 2/28)

May 22: ESTRS Lebanon 10K (registration open 1/1/19)
    June 1: Hospital Hill Half Marathon, Kansas City OR Grand Teton Half, Jackson WY
    June 12: ESTRS French 5K
    June 29: Lift Bridge 10K
    July 10: ESTRS Lebanon 7Mi
    July 17: Torchlight 5K
    July 27: St. Croix Crossing Half
    August 3: Minnesota Half Marathon 10Mi OR
    August 7: ESTRS SLP 5Mi OR
    August 10: Gopher to Badger 10K

September 8: Sioux Falls Half Marathon
    September 21: Surly Trail Loppet 7Mi
    October 5: TCM 10K or 10Mi
    November: Undecided Half?
    November 28: Turkey Trot St. Paul 10K
    December: Undecided 10K

Right!!!!!!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    2/1 - 7mph for 1 hour @ 4% grade
    12/2 - 7 miles
    12/3 - 7mph for 1 hour @ 4% grade
    12/4 - 0 KM
    12/5 - 12 miles
    12/6 - Cookies
    12/7 - 12 miles
    12/8 - Christmas Party
    12/9 - Game Night
    12/10 - 7 miles
    12/11 - 7 miles
    12/12 - Work Dinner
    12/13 - 12 miles

Upcoming Races
    Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.