Options

Replies

• LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    10 km Riverbank trails in the dark.
    //30kph made it an interesting challenge - definitely a much harder workout than normal.
    30 kph wind. No way i could run at 30kph.

@LadySaton Hope you recover from the aches and fever.
    I have so much running specific gear that I picked up a old beatup dresser from the Eco-Recycle center for $15.00, gave it a $5.00 paint job and now have it sitting in the laundry-utility room area as a running specific dresser for my gear. In season gear in the top 2 shelves - out of season in the bottom shelves.

I think I could have run today, but I’m being extra cautious and hoping I get time to run tomorrow before my niece and nephew come over for the evening.

I have an empty drawer from finally getting rid of my too-big clothes and soon another empty drawer when i can transfer the just-a-bit-too-small clothes into my closet. They really want to be filled, but other than a couple of safety minded purchases and smaller leggings as needed I’m going to make myself wait and make sure I want to do this long term. I’m going to run a 5k with a friend in April and if I still want to keep running after that I’ll let myself buy some fun gear. 😁
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    LadySaton wrote: »
    It was 48 degrees for my run. I have obviously completely forgotten how to dress for such a heat wave as I was pouring streams of water off me by the time I got back after 12 miles.

Due to the tilt of the Earth and all that it is now full dark when I am on my return run through the park. There are no lights, plenty of shade trees, and lots of potholes and other trip hazards plus bicycles racing down the trail. So I run with flashy armbands and a waist lamp. Yet I am constantly coming across walkers and runners dressed in all dark clothes with no lights at all.

Please do not be stupid like them. They are asking to get hurt. Light yourself up so that you have a chance not to get hit at the very least.

I have been doing laps on well-lit streets when it’s dark, but my husband runs in the dark like that and I hate it. I track his run on my phone to make sure he doesn’t suddenly stop moving because I’m seriously worried he’ll get hit one day and he just doesn’t think it could possibly happen.

My headlamp flips down at the ground, which i love so much (he won’t wear it for whatever reason). If it’s dark I also wear my reflective leggings and Winter Soldier hoodie, on which the entire left arm is reflective in such a way that is blazes with the power of a thousand angry suns if headlights hit it.

I saw someone with what looked to be a lit up vest walking their dog, not just reflective. I totally want one of those. Getting tired of washing my hoodie as it needs special prep and as nice as reflective wear is I’d like a couple more blinky lights. 🤣

The Nox vests are well liked:

1878himu53ay.png
    $50 on Amazon.com

Probably what I will buy at some point.
  • PastorVincent
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Great article...
    No, I Don’t Want to Run With You. Here’s Why.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a25422964/running-solo/
    ;)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq
    I noticed you're considering the dc half in may. I'm signed up. I enjoy the race. It's the weekend before summer season starts but still fun.

And you might be able to meet the Old Girl and Speed Demon

That would be really neat! It looks like a great race, I just don't know if I can manage two trips out of state next summer, even if one is fairly close to home. We will see, though. I'd love to meet you and your team!

LadySaton wrote: »
    It was 48 degrees for my run. I have obviously completely forgotten how to dress for such a heat wave as I was pouring streams of water off me by the time I got back after 12 miles.

Due to the tilt of the Earth and all that it is now full dark when I am on my return run through the park. There are no lights, plenty of shade trees, and lots of potholes and other trip hazards plus bicycles racing down the trail. So I run with flashy armbands and a waist lamp. Yet I am constantly coming across walkers and runners dressed in all dark clothes with no lights at all.

Please do not be stupid like them. They are asking to get hurt. Light yourself up so that you have a chance not to get hit at the very least.

I have been doing laps on well-lit streets when it’s dark, but my husband runs in the dark like that and I hate it. I track his run on my phone to make sure he doesn’t suddenly stop moving because I’m seriously worried he’ll get hit one day and he just doesn’t think it could possibly happen.

My headlamp flips down at the ground, which i love so much (he won’t wear it for whatever reason). If it’s dark I also wear my reflective leggings and Winter Soldier hoodie, on which the entire left arm is reflective in such a way that is blazes with the power of a thousand angry suns if headlights hit it.

I saw someone with what looked to be a lit up vest walking their dog, not just reflective. I totally want one of those. Getting tired of washing my hoodie as it needs special prep and as nice as reflective wear is I’d like a couple more blinky lights. 🤣

Shaking my head at why your husband would think being hit by a car couldn't possibly happen. On the list of things most likely to physically injure a person, it's pretty high up there. I've been hit once myself and I bet I'm not the only one in this group who has. I have friends who've been hit, and friends of friends who've been hit and killed. I've never been a driver or a passenger in a car that hit someone, but I can think of a couple of very close calls.

All that said, I love the sound of your hoodie!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Coldest run yet but I survived. Your trick of keeping my phone close to the heat of my body worked @PastorVincent.

exercise.png

Yay 😀
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Shaking my head at why your husband would think being hit by a car couldn't possibly happen. On the list of things most likely to physically injure a person, it's pretty high up there. I've been hit once myself and I bet I'm not the only one in this group who has. I have friends who've been hit, and friends of friends who've been hit and killed. I've never been a driver or a passenger in a car that hit someone, but I can think of a couple of very close calls.

All that said, I love the sound of your hoodie!

It’s more he doesn’t think it can happen *to him*. Which, he has actually been hit by a car years ago to boot - thankfully he was uninjured - he was simply mad because he spilled his Mountain Dew when he landed and then the car sped off. He seriously boggles my mind, but I think he believes he can be careful enough to avoid it (while in my opinion not actually taking any precautions to avoid it).

Yes, though, it’s a great hoodie. Sub par zipper but I swear I could help bring planes to the runway in it. 🤣
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    1210-5.0k total-21.3k, goal-60k

Yeah... so I ran 5k half a week ago, and then was hit by a stomach bug. Fever, vomiting, the works. Recovered just enough to go on a business trip. Went. Just caught up with all the posts. Will go running tomorrow.

It's good to be alive. :D

Ugh those are the worst! Glad it is behind you.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

*I can tell the driver is visually impaired because he (gender assumed, can't see him) drives with very high powered headlights on high beam, but still needs to be a half car length from the car in front of him in order to see where he's going. There are a lot of visually impaired drivers out in December; there will be fewer in January.

Hahaha We have a lot of visually impaired drivers around here too.

@ContraryMaryMary So sorry about your injury! I had a calf muscle tear about 3 years ago. It was almost healed when I stepped in a hole and hurt it again, so please be careful and I hope it heals quickly.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    So, time, treatment, and a gentle yet aborted run have revealed a new diagnosis of calf tear. That’s my running done for 2018. 😢

FROWNY FACE!!!!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Oh. This morning I went out at before-sun-up-o’clock dressed in dark navy tights, a black top (maybe it had some dark pink trim), black gloves and a black hat. No high vis, no light, nada. I didn’t trip or fall, I didn’t get run over (I stopped for cars before crossing the roads or used the pedestrian-controlled signals (and believe me, we have plenty of visually impaired drivers here), and no one crashed into me. Most of my route is in the dark too.

I guess what I’m saying is dress up like a Christmas tree if it’s appropriate. Otherwise, let the rest of the world enjoy the darkness while it can.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq I MAY have completely stolen your layout in your first spreadsheet as a better way of recording than the one I have been using..... :D