January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    noblsheep wrote: »

And in case I'm not as prepared as I would like to be, it turns into a supported long run with cheering crowds and bling!

Yes, or as just a training run. Long run with bling! Putting aside paying $$ for that training run or untrained run as the case may be, it's a lot of fun sometimes to just run it for the run of it.

I saw this list of 27 types of runs that you'll do on Runner's World. I think we can all relate to these. Especially "The Slogger".
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Newbie here. I am more or a jogger than a runner.

I haven't dedicated myself to running daily, so I am hoping this group will get me more focused.
    My goal is 1.5 miles a day (for now) 5x a week (I will push for 6 or 7 but just to be safe) which is 7.5 miles a week. So I guess that means attempting 30 miles for the month or 40 max.

I am completely new so I think this is a manageable goal for me.

I hated running until I learned I was doing it all wrong. I would push all my effort into running the minute I left the house and finally figured out that starting at a slower pace and gradually getting up to a jog, really helps in longevity....not to mention keeping my mind off the fact I am running really helps with the mental nagging of "can we stop now..." lol

I think for the first month I will also be recording my walking as well. Just to set a minimum for myself.

Welcome!
    All running is good running.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Welcome @kholmse and great to see you joining us here fellow teammate @alanpeisakoff !

@abowersgirl haha! “Jogger”.... you are a runner. Non-runners think “jogger”. Now, if you find a body, get a nice little write up in the local paper, we’ll allow you the use of “jogger”.

Welcome runners!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Monthly quiz?

Are you left brain or right brain dominant? Or perhaps you are balanced?

I scored 42. My favorite even number and it also happens to be the answer to life, the universe and everything and my birthday and my dads birthday backwards, 24. Haha! So I’m balanced, although slightly more left.

How about you?
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Monthly quiz?

Are you left brain or right brain dominant? Or perhaps you are balanced?

I scored 42. My favorite even number and it also happens to be the answer to life, the universe and everything and my birthday and my dads birthday backwards, 24. Haha! So I’m balanced, although slightly more left.

How about you?

I scored 46 - balanced.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    54 - balanced - however I wouldn't put much stock in this test, since it's self-reported and in almost every case the sane and intelligent option was the balanced one. Pop quiz, would you research a car, drive a car, or both? Both is clearly the CORRECT answer. A better made test would use what is called a forced choice question - if you had to either research the car or drive it, which would you pick? And then tally the number of right versus left choices.
  • Fitatelo
    Fitatelo Posts: 180 Member
    29, left brained. Not super surprising, lmao