Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,064 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Lisa - You've got me to a T. <3 Today I completed nearly all my exercises, apart from the push ups and the weights. This afternoon I was planning on taking the bus to shop, but the weather was so horrendous, (wind and rain), that I did some recumbent bike instead. So I've knocked out 700 calories altogether. The most since I've been sick.
    I like to think I've got a European attitude to food - that it is the centre of life and should be enjoyed to the most. I take delight in every meal. I've just been preparing the butternut squash for roasting. We will eat half of it and keep the rest for a soup. For the last 15 minutes I'm going to throw in zucchini and tomatoes. Lots of seasoning and herbs. I will eat a huge plateful for not too many calories - around 120. On top of that I will have two Cumberland sausages for another 250. I will drink a glass of red wine with it for 100. I'm really looking forward to it! B)
    If you eat good food you feel nourished, body and soul. Snacking, junk food, snatched 'meals', sugary snacks, eating on the hoof, calorie filled takeaways, do not nourish the soul. When the soul is not nourished it fills itself up with junk. And more junk. As you said Lisa, food should not be feared, it should not be a penance, it should not depress you and be your enemy. It should be a celebration of living.

Lots of love, Heather UK, almost back to normal. :D
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    2713ij8kpu1v.jpeg

5yrs ago
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Margaret))): Good luck. My kids couldn’t wait to get out of my house and it made me sad back then. Now they live across the country from us and I’d like for them to be a bit closer. :ohwell:

Heather: I appreciate your comments on good food and agree with them whole heartedly. I have food sensitivities that limit some things, but there are plenty of healthy things that taste good without causing weight gain. Portion control is the best tool in my dietary arsenal. :heart:

RV Rita: Congratulations on your success!!! :flowerforyou:

Pip: Love your snow photo. We don’t seem to have had much so far this winter, barely a trace where we live. I’ve seen snow across the river in the Washington hills. I don’t see any in the foothills now, but clouds may be hiding some. The high mountains are snow covered.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did 30 min HIIT, then on the treadmill for 15 min. The plan for tomorrow is to do a 10MS Carb Burner DVD (I do it in the back of the clubhouse)

Afterwards, went to WalMart since I wanted some soup and shirataki noodles for me. Went to this thrift store that my MIL used to like, got a pair of shorts and a shirt for a little over $2. Then came home to make the grapefruit pie. Then went and laid by the pool and while Vince fixed the dishwasher, I got out of his way by going into the pool. Now he’s working on the printer. What’s the matter, I don’t fully understand. You don’t need a key to get into the pool area any more. I couldn’t figure out how to open the door! My understanding is that this guy had a heart attack in the pool and no one had a key to let someone in to help him. I understand the guy eventually died. I don’t know if too many people know this

M – yes, the mouse is inexpensive. I could just kick myself for forgetting it. It’s really not that much of a big deal to use the laptop. I’m so sorry to hear about the cyst. Thank goodness it’s most likely benign

My thought on cheat days: if you, say, eliminate sugar during the week eventually it turns you off. But when you have it on the weekend, that never happens

Elizabeth – the chickenpox vaccine isn’t as effective as you get older. That’s why it’s recommended you get the Shringex vaccine

Michele now in sunny FL
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Beautiful Rebecca!

Welcome b4leaving!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    Ooooo
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Lisa - Very well said. I would add that being honest with yourself is one of the most important parts also. I see so many people say I just can't get my weight down the last few pounds. I am logging everything, I don't understand why the scale won't move. If you are using measuring cups and spoons (or even worse, eyeballing your portions) instead of a food scale, or generalizing and logging that you are eating half a medium apple, then you are not being honest with yourself about what you are eating. A medium apple to me is not the same as a medium apple to the next person. However, eating 25 grams of a red delicious apple is the same for everyone and lets you know what you are really consuming so that you can get your calories within the range they need to be in to lose those pounds that "just aren't coming off for no reason".

Just my two cents.

Okie in the TX Hill Country where we are having snow flurries!!!

Agreed!!

When I start weighing everything with my food scale and sticking to it all the time, 24-hours a day, 7 days a week ... the weight drops off.

I would also add that a lot of people I hear, at work and elsewhere, over estimate their calorie burn. They do something a little more than usual ... like let's stay climbing 5 flights of stairs back up to our office after a fire drill rather than waiting for the lift ... and announce that they must have burned about 500 calories and should be able to eat a caramel slice with lunch today!

When I log my exercise, I tend to round down. Then when I was on a mission to lose weight, I ate about half my exercise calories back. And that seemed to work too. :)

Machka in Oz
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Agree completely Machka!

Okie
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    I hate having appointments or meetings hanging over me... it's just my nature. I can't help but anticipate or dread them, and they fill my mind up, instead of allowing me to relax.

OK. Now I wait. *sigh.* Did I mention I hate having appointments hanging over me?

So do I ... and this past year has been a real challenge for me because I've had appointments, meetings, etc. hanging over me just about every single day.

I am longing for a week without any appointments, meetings etc.!! But I don't see that in the near future. I've stared booking into March now.

Philosophy on cheat days ahead, putting it in a spoiler, so if you're not interested, you don't have to read it. Warning, it's a long one.

My own opinion is that, by making food into a big deal, whether it's "cheat" days with all that implies of cheating ourselves, or lying to ourselves, or demonizing it, or separating it into "good" foods and "bad" foods, we're setting ourselves up for failure. By telling ourselves that we are "good" or "bad" because we've eaten something we "shouldn't" or not eaten something we "should," we actually give food the power to rule our lives and determine whether we are a good or a bad person!

Agreed ... there are no "good" foods or "bad" foods. :)

We invest an enormous amount of emotion into food. Every celebration involves food, and every tragedy - if you were raised in the south like I was, if someone in the family dies, the first response of the community is to bring food to the family. When we are stressed, we turn to food for comfort, and when we are happy, we use it to make us happier.

A "diet" isn't what you don't eat, it's what you do. Food is fuel, not emotion.

Every celebration involves food ... has always puzzled me a little bit. Yeah, I know, it's tradition etc. etc. but I'd rather get together and do something. I get bored very quickly if I've got to sit around a table eating for very long. Even in restaurants, I finish my meal, and I want to leave immediately ... but I've got to sit there and wait to be polite.

Stress eating also puzzles me. Don't other people's stomachs shut down entirely when they get stressed? You can tell when I'm feeling somewhat more relaxed about things because that's when I'll eat more. :)

There is no one-size-fits-all, you just need to choose the path that works for you. For me, the less I think about food, in general, the better I do overall. For Heather, planning and scripting her meals, knowing how many calories are in them, and how much exercise she must do to burn off those calories, is what works for her. Find what works for you, and do that.

I do both.

When I'm losing weight, I plan out what I can eat to reach my 1300 calorie limit, and then I set it on the back burner so to speak and pour myself into other more interesting things. My work. My university. Walking, running, cycling, travelling, etc. etc.

That's what works for me. :)

M in Oz