Wow... That had how many calories?!!?

Options

Replies

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter M&M's. Those puppies are 10 calories a pop. So just 10 little M&M's was a 100 calorie snack. Still ate them. But I was suprised to see they were that high.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Nut butters and salad dressings! And that an actual serving of them is so much smaller than I thought!
  • bigmike12
    bigmike12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Crestwood - Mini Melton Mowbray Pies, 50g each, packing a massive 205 Calories in that 50g, talk about cal dense.

Good thing i am staying away from them..... who am i kidding i had two as part of my lunch.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    A whole Dungeness crab only has 140 calories? That's really hard to believe. And ever so delicious. I should get another one.

Until you add the butter :smile:
  • LynnJ9
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    Nut butters and salad dressings! And that an actual serving of them is so much smaller than I thought!

I agree! However, Bolthouse Dressings are the best. Ranch is only 45 calories a serving!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,180 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    A whole Dungeness crab only has 140 calories? That's really hard to believe. And ever so delicious. I should get another one.

RAW meat only.... maybe.
    Now fry it, add butter and sauces and well............

The only thing I do with Dungies is crack 'em open and eat the meat. Not raw, of course.

I also think there's a problem because they aren't all the same size. Some are as small as a pound or so. Yesterday's was 2.5 pounds. First part of the season! Of course that's the whole crab. After you back them, take out the guts, and crack them open, it's maybe a third of that weight that you yield.

Mmmmmmm......

• mtaratoot
    Options
    LynnJ9 wrote: »

Butter is for popcorn, not Dungeness.
  • LynnJ9
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »

I agree! However, Bolthouse Dressings are the best. Ranch is only 45 calories a serving!

I wish people would stop saying this, because my serving will not be your serving. Instead, say something like 45cal for a table spoon serving. Now this looks like nothing, just like a serving of peanut butter.

I meant the 2 tablespoon serving that is listed on the packaging :smile:
  • LynnJ9
    Options

Butter is for popcorn, not Dungeness.

I am tempted to woo that comment! :smile: :smiley::wink:
  • mtaratoot
    Options

RAW meat only.... maybe.
    Now fry it, add butter and sauces and well............

The only thing I do with Dungies is crack 'em open and eat the meat. Not raw, of course.

I also think there's a problem because they aren't all the same size. Some are as small as a pound or so. Yesterday's was 2.5 pounds. First part of the season! Of course that's the whole crab. After you back them, take out the guts, and crack them open, it's maybe a third of that weight that you yield.

Mmmmmmm......

How do you cook them? Steam?

When I catch them, I boil them live. If I buy them, I usually buy them cooked. They are boiled whole. A buddy prefers to pith them, then back them while still alive, and then steam them. It makes a better product, but I think dropping the whole crab in boiling water is more humane than ripping them apart. Of course if I were a sea lion, I'd just rip 'em apart.
  • layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Doner meat and chips. Normal size portion around 1500 cals with garlic sauce mmmm
  • njt07
    njt07 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    kenny's stuffed burger... in hindsight shouldn't have surprised me but it did
  • mtaratoot
    Options

OK, so I finally figured out the right answer, and it sure isn't 140 calories for a whole Dungeness Crab. That's a number that was entered MANY times in the database. I fixed most of them. I couldn't fix one that has the green check box next to it for a three-ounce serving. I sent an alert to MFP about it. I bet you fifty cents the fix it.

How did I figure out the correct information (and what IS the correct information)?

I visited the Oregon Dungeness Crab Commission website. They have a page with nutritional information! A 3 ounce portion of cooked crab is 94 calories (and 19 grams of protein). Fine. I also know from experience that in general, a filled-out dungie is about 25% meat. So, that two-pound crab I picked up yesterday? That was eight ounces of meat, which would be about 2.67 3-ounce portions. But in reality, it is just ONE PORTION because.... well, if you haven't eaten one you have no idea. That means a whole Dungeness Crab clocks in about 250 calories (I am not bothering with the 0.6 calorie decimal
    portion because 250 is such an awesomely round number!), or 1.8 times more calories than are in the database.

I can totally believe that a whole Dungeness Crab is 250 calories. It's 250 calories of Dungie goodness.

I'm wondering if someone took the caloric content of a Blue Crab and just applied it to Dungies. I am pretty sure the blue crabs are MUCH smaller. I can believe a whole Blue Crab is around 140 calories. Not a Dungeness!

• ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Plain chocolate surprised me. I knew it was calorie-dense, but hadn’t realised how dense it was totally on its own without any of the “added” stuff like nuts / nut butters, wafers, fruit pieces, etc. Still delicious 😉🍫
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Braised pork belly. My very small portion last night clocked in at over 451 calories. And worth every damn one of 'em.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    Braised pork belly. My very small portion last night clocked in at over 451 calories. And worth every damn one of 'em.

That reminds me that I have a pork belly in the freezer!
  • AlissaAMTaylor
    AlissaAMTaylor Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I first started learning about food long ago. I was shocked at rice and pasta. I would think I was eating really good by just have one bowl when one bowl would be over 500-1000 cal. 😢
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    When I first started learning about food long ago. I was shocked at rice and pasta. I would think I was eating really good by just have one bowl when one bowl would be over 500-1000 cal. 😢

I try to stick to whole grain versions of pasta and brown rice but still over 200 calories in 1 cup of brown rice. Stinkers.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Velveta Mac and cheese, never again. The other challange went out to eat chilis lowest food calorie Salmon at 420 but a whopping 15$. The qasadilla explosion salad 930 calories with put qasadillas. So its an adjustment for sure because im not running for 30 min to eat a snickers bar either.

Honestly? For the flavor vs. calories, just get the small steak. It's almost as low as thier diet chicken breast option, but no one thinks of it as a "light" option because its not low-fat.
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of wraps as I thought they'd be a good healthy meal, as I can shove whatever veg in but then 2 wraps is nearly 400 cals, then there's other bits like the oil to fry the veg & then whatever sauce :| just switched cooking oil to those 1 cal sprays, not the same as oil but it's a healthy change I suppose. I usually make quorn with fried tomatoes & peppers with spicy seasoning & a bit of cheese then the tortilla wraps on top that's 800-900 cals, waaaat?