WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Karen in Virginia - I’m so sorry about Bailey. Having a sick fur baby is awful. Hugs!!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Cari con VERY gratulations on your new size pants! So glad you have a walking pal :smile: to counteract the negativity of that choir lady :noway: Don't worry about keeping up with all us chatties, just check in when you can.
    Lanette, Rebecca, Betsy and all in slushy snow land, take care!
    Sharon near Seattle :love: your cat.
    Barbie "because none of you tells me..." Amen sister, AMEN! Jealous of your handyman.
    Janet How can you resist pinching Matthew Grayson's cheeks or noogying his tiny tum?
    Kathy in KY that medical coding degree sounds like just the ticket! On line classes? expensive?
    Katla your wods about Barbie's leadership are so very very true!
    Kylia (((hugs))) and prayers continue for you and yours.
    Michele My rainproof pants are Boys XXL, I've had them for 20 years and they worked just as well yesterday as when I bought them. Of course, there wasn't much rain in Boise... ;)
    Viv we had to wait from February to May for our first roof replacement estimate. We won't be using them. ;)
    Karen in VA (((hugs))) held extra long. :heart: :cry: :brokenheart:
    Cheryl in N. IL great plan for your horses and for you!
    Lisa electric shock pain all evening sure doesn't sound right..., could you call the PT and ask?
    Tracey is your daughter's name "Goldilocks"?
    Margaret wise words to remind us to consider income taxes when planning taking distributions from IRAs. While the percentage is not as high as when we were earning, it's still a considerable hit. So very sorry for the loss of your sister. You are so right about the financial fitness component of health.
    allie love that alfie!
    Karen (please remind me from where?) OMG those twins are CUTE!
    Heather What a shaking experience! Big hugs to your lifesaver!
    Kay Ouch for paying taxes and double ouch for the chipped tooth. Hope all these trials are soon behind you.
    Kim that post spoke to me too, thank you very much! Will ask for more compassion in my cup. Have learned not to ask for patience as what I get are opportunities to practice it. . . :P
    Katla hope working with Arrow brought you some joy and returned energy.
    NYKaren thanks for letting me see Florence through your eyes. Wandering about a new place sounds just right!
    Machka aka Queen Of the Mountain - had to google it, and somehow knew you weren't talking about a mideastern city... are you sure you're only gently cycling?
    Welcome Mary from ? and posbey. Please let us know what you'd like us to call you and your general location to help us keep you straight.

Channeled Barbie as I layered up yesterday to take Tumble to dog group. Driving through hail, I thought "This is ridiculous! Who's going to be there?" Turned out there were 9 of us hanging out in our cars waiting for the hail to pass. We got out in the rain and did what we came to do. My LL Bean rain jacket seemed to absorb the rain but kept it from penetrating my fleece tunic. Eventually the wind died down, rain stopped, sun shone and we were all happy to have persevered.

Got a reasonable bid to remove 5 tan oaks. eMailed asking him to confirm he carries workman's comp and liability insurance in case a tree falls on the house. Haven't heard back yet...

As for the roof, banker showed us how better to "smart refinance" than take out a home equity line of credit. On the downside it does stretch payments out for 20 years (and reaps them that much more interest), on the good side, we don't have to pay $800 for an appraisal, $XXXXs for closing costs and keep monthly payments nearly the same. Takes out more than enough for the roof, maybe a little left over for paying off the car or painting the house or or or... ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 13/28, 60 g protein 16/28, rx/vits 16/28, meditate 16/28, knee exercises 16/28, SWSY 3/8, play with Tumble 11/28, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 11/28.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    02/16 LT:SWSY-N :( , MT: Dog group-Y , ST: ask BrushBusters about insurance-Y
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,054 Member
    edited February 2019
    Welcome, Tina. We're an eclectic bunch, but uber friendly. Pop by and feel free to comment if and when you see something that sparks your interest. Let us know roughly where you are so that we can set you in our minds.

☘️Irish Terri
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,940 Member
    My research says there is a glitch in the software regarding the form you have to fill out if you owe more than $1000. I may end up having to print out the forms and mail them in. I am not happy with H&R Block right now (sorry, Trucker). I will call the help line one day next week. I read that there’s another update planned for Feb 22 that might fix it.

Our taxes are not hard. We should not be having an issue. We always have to pay federal but get more than enough refund from the state to cover it. Unfortunately, the IRS doesn’t like it if you underpay them. I’ve fixed it for next year. It’s not worth the hassle. I’ll just let them use my money for free all year. Sigh!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,044 Member
    Kim love it. I copied your message.

Fortunately most of the time DH and I are on the same page. Financial difficulties between spouses can be heartbreaking. This is part of what happened to my sister in her second marriage. It was the financial mess of her second husband that created too much stress for her. They got into a situation that in hind site they should have walked away. Her father in law set up a financial situation that took them years to dig themselves out of at the cost of her health.

:heart: Margaret
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    klanders30 wrote: »
    In person this is very breathtaking and weirdly profound.

NYKaren - Thank you for that! Being able to see the details is breathtaking...

Lisa in AR
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited February 2019
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    My research says there is a glitch in the software regarding the form you have to fill out if you owe more than $1000. I may end up having to print out the forms and mail them in. I am not happy with H&R Block right now (sorry, Trucker). I will call the help line one day next week. I read that there’s another update planned for Feb 22 that might fix it.

Our taxes are not hard. We should not be having an issue. We always have to pay federal but get more than enough refund from the state to cover it. Unfortunately, the IRS doesn’t like it if you underpay them. I’ve fixed it for next year. It’s not worth the hassle. I’ll just let them use my money for free all year. Sigh!

Katiebug
    - have you thought of switching to TaxAct? We have done our taxes online using them for years and have never had a problem. Just a thought. Not sure how much it is, I think I paid $8 to file online -federal only-and can access old returns.

Lanette

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,323 Member
    Good afternoon here in sunny Suffolk UK. I am 71 yrs of age and actually been a member here since 2014. Due to family circumstances I have been absent here for some time. Amazingly I am still down on my joining weight but that isn't enough. I reckon I want to aim for a 40lb loss. Size is equally as important and I don't want to end up looking like a shrivelled prune. So if 40lb is too much then I'll stop when I am happy with my size. Last year I embarked on a sugar free diet and not worrying too much about calories although I was on about 1200 at the time. I did lose weight and was shrinking at a rate of knots. I had a bereavement in the family and it knocked me for six. I am back now and taken it one step further I am doing "The Fast 800 Plan" by Dr Michael Mosley. If this goes well I will then do his 5:2 plan. Still doing my best to remain sugar free where I can. So far this has been really successful. If anyone is trying the same and wants support please feel free to add me as your friend.

CockneyLady2014 - I am a big fan of Mosley's 5:2 and Fast 800. Pop in here often and let us know how you are doing - also, do you have a name you wish to go by?

By the way, I have gotten several friend requests that I haven't responded to - I am sorry but I don't use the "friend" feature here to casually interact with folks, just no time. So please don't feel offended.

Lanette
    SW WA State

• mypointhome
    mypointhome Posts: 12 Member
    Good morning to all,

Cockneylady2014 welcome back, so sorry to hear of a family bereavement. I am looking into the Fast 800 Plan, let me know how it works for you. I was thinking about an 800 calorie fast 2 days a week to start and monitor those results. Probably a March goal for me. I’m trying to absorb all the info here and make the best choices for me.

KJLaMore Thanks for the encouragement, I will keep swimming...adding laps weekly and moving. Just finished a 7, seven minute workout. I think I might try this several times a day on non swim days. I would walk, but there is too much snow and ice on the walkways, too much risk of injury. It’s worth a try and I can imagine it would be a detriment since I am moving!

Mary from Wi
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Lisa: It sounds like you are doing well and jumping into the deep end of the pool. Be sure to put your physical health needs at the top of the to do list. :flowerforyou:

Karen in VA: I am sending good wishes for Bailey and hoping the vet will be able to help improve his quality of life. :heart:

Barbara the Southern Oregon Coastie: I did have a good time at the stable and I feel better today for getting out and visiting Arrow. He was in need of time out of the stall. I’ve been away from the stable for a while and there are big changes going on there. Nearly all of the boarding horses are gone. Two friends who were there are getting ready to move their horses elsewhere. My friend who owns the stable wants to retire and hopes to get someone in to run the stable or possibly sell it altogether. Change seems to be heading my way at a gallop. :ohwell:

Tina: Welcome to a great group! :flowerforyou

Klanders: Beautiful photos of David. WOW! Thanks for sharing. :star:

Lanette: “I think often of the comment Rebecca made a few weeks ago, how she went from wife to caretaker and had to learn to go back to the wife role. I know with my DH, at our age (I am 67, he's 73) and the declining state of his health, I'm in caretaker mode and I'm OK with that. But I do know I started switching to that mode many years ago. For what its worth.” I hear you on the caregiver issue. My husband has several autoimmune diseases including diabetes and MS. He is gradually doing less and less. It worries me and there isn't much I can do to change that situation. We were much luckier in the snow storm than you ladies in Western WA. We had barely any and it is gone. :smiley:

Barbie: We had Yaktrax in the past, lost them and bought more. Now I can’t find those, either. I am guessing they may be in our winter travel box, and it is in an inconvenient spot. I’ll look when I’m full of energy. :ohwell:

Today is bone density day, and I’ve done my job of taking meds, drinking loads of water and sitting upright. Now I’m having my first cup of coffee, and heading upstairs to sit with DH.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,940 Member
    lhscapil wrote: »
    drkatiebug wrote: »

Katiebug
    - have you thought of switching to TaxAct? We have done our taxes online using them for years and have never had a problem. Just a thought. Not sure how much it is, I think I paid $8 to file online -federal only-and can access old returns.

Lanette

It is definitely on my radar. I don’t know what the implications are if I switch mid-submission and especially since I already paid $19.95 to e-file the state return, which is in limbo until the federal return is accepted. I will try to speak to a human either tomorrow or Tuesday. Depending on my customer service experience, we will see. I may chalk my already spent money up to “stupid tax” just to get it done. I hate having my taxes hanging over my head.

If the tax laws stay as they are this year, with such a high standard deduction, I will definitely move to a cheaper alternative for the future. I have been loyal to H&R, even back when they were TaxCut, so it will be a big change.

• tksteps
    tksteps Posts: 3 Member
    Hello everyone. Is anyone using a step counting app on their android phone that syncs with my fitness pal ?