Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thoughts on getting old vs aging

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    This seems rather apropos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xTDdSwHAic

And the write up from The Atlantic. No, not all of them are doing various forms of exercise, but on the outside, I wouldn't be so unhappy if that's what 95 looked like for me.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    This seems rather apropos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xTDdSwHAic

And the write up from The Atlantic. No, not all of them are doing various forms of exercise, but on the outside, I wouldn't be so unhappy if that's what 95 looked like for me.
    That video is fantastic :D Loved listening to the quips LOL. Thanks for posting that :)
  • OkieFitness
    OkieFitness Posts: 43 Member
    It was the baseball great Satchel Paige who said. “If you didn’t know how old you were, how old would you be?” Here’s the thing...do we really know our potential at any age?!? I think the answer for everyone is that we don’t; mentally, physically, or spiritually. At 56 I choose to ignore that number and see what performance my body is capable of achieving - because you just never know how far you can go - then push yourself even further. What a fantastic journey of discovery that can be - especially in this age where you have instant access to information that can assist you in that journey.
  • Phirrgus
    jan110144 wrote: »
    74 here. I am very active (even more so this past year.) My position is that you are lucky to get old, but how fast you "age" is to a great extent w/in your control. So many people I know who are my age have self-imposed limitations that stem from what they believe they can or cannot do "at their age".
    Even at my age ;) 59

A much younger relative asked me, jokingly, what she had to do to get "as old as me". I said it's easy. Don't die. :)
  • Phirrgus
    ufonut wrote: »
    It was the baseball great Satchel Paige who said. “If you didn’t know how old you were, how old would you be?” Here’s the thing...do we really know our potential at any age?!? I think the answer for everyone is that we don’t; mentally, physically, or spiritually. At 56 I choose to ignore that number and see what performance my body is capable of achieving - because you just never know how far you can go - then push yourself even further. What a fantastic journey of discovery that can be - especially in this age where you have instant access to information that can assist you in that journey.

I wish everyone in our age group looked at it like that. 👍
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    74 here. I am very active (even more so this past year.) My position is that you are lucky to get old, but how fast you "age" is to a great extent w/in your control. So many people I know who are my age have self-imposed limitations that stem from what they believe they can or cannot do "at their age".
    Even at my age ;) 59

A much younger relative asked me, jokingly, what she had to do to get "as old as me". I said it's easy. Don't die. :)

Is that a recent pic of yourself? If so you might’ve found the youth fountain, where’s it at don’t be stingy ...Just kidding, but seriously I guess it just good genes, diet and exercise?
  • Phirrgus
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Even at my age ;) 59

Is that a recent pic of yourself? If so you might’ve found the youth fountain, where’s it at don’t be stingy ...Just kidding, but seriously I guess it just good genes, diet and exercise?

@vanityy99 Wow, you just made my whole week! Thank you! That's a year old or so and yeah, have to thank my mother for the Gene's lol. The diet and exercise is a daily thing,
    Yes ...and just trying to keep the soul light and hope the rest follows.

You really did put a little extra spring in my step this morning ❤🙂
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    When I was a teenager I worked at a nursery gardens - run by a man from his wheelchair, whose dad was cycling everywhere and mending chimneys at 86. Both amazing role models for concentrating on what you CAN do - whatever your obstacles. I certainly aim to be cycling and climbing (hills not ladders on chimneys) at 86.

My original mfp aim was ‘to be fit at fifty’ (I’m 54 now so ‘fit in fifties’ more apt now - but it will ‘to be be fit at 86’ too!)

I have my own obstacles (i have chronic fatigue syndrome - still getting better and luckily for me no fibromyalgia) but as the nursery gardener showed you can have significant health issues and obstacles and still be fit and positive.... And I aim for this.

So whilst my need for daily siestas sometimes make me feel like I am in my 70s - my daily (carefully, boringly, energy managed) dog walking, yoga, music lessons and practise, and occasional cycling/biking /gardening ensure I feel and am a lot healthier than many others in their 50s....

Wow!! You had amazing role models.
  • rdthoms
    rdthoms Posts: 61 Member
    edited March 2019
    When I was in late 40's and training for tough mudder this was my motivation:
  • Phirrgus
    rdthoms wrote: »
    I want to be one of these guys...
    q9ygoshc2w3n.png

Just Awesome 🙂
  • Phirrgus
    rdthoms wrote: »
    When I was in late 40's and training for tough mudder this was my motivation:

Geezedude...I feel for the poor sap that makes excuses in front of that guy...
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    The way I think of it, when you are young you train for fun or glory or excitement. Later you train because it centers you and makes you complete. Still later you train to remain healthy. Eventually you train to fight against your greatest opponent, age, the one who stalks us all. Your greatest opponent will be age.
  • Phirrgus
    The way I think of it, when you are young you train for fun or glory or excitement. Later you train because it centers you and makes you complete. Still later you train to remain healthy. Eventually you train to fight against your greatest opponent, age, the one who stalks us all. Your greatest opponent will be age.

I hear where you're coming from, although my view is different. Due to circumstances that were only slightly controllable by me, my younger years were my greatest opponent, by far. Given the opportunity to do it all again, I would decline.

The answers and experience I've gained through the years, and believe it or not age itself, have given me the freedom I never had as a youth. I certainly don't have all the answers, never will. But I have the freedom to let it be someone else's turn now.

That will make sense to some and probably sound silly to others, and that's ok. The years have been better to me, than not. 😉🙂