Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Replies

• svlofthouse
    svlofthouse Posts: 46 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    This discussion’s spiralled somewhat! I don’t mind because it was beginning to feel a little accusatory.
    To get back to keto, I’d be interested to know how people explained what how and why they’re eating in that way. In social situations it can be hard to explain why you’ve brought your own food (I can’t really eat school or restaurant food as I’m a vegetarian).

You mean vegetarian plus keto?

To do vegetarian plus keto at a restaurant/work thing would be harder -- ideally a salad (with hard boiled eggs, perhaps) would be available or something.

Yeah I mean vegetarian and keto. I like the idea of a salad with eggs - I’ll ask for that next time I have brunch out! I’ve asked for scrambled eggs before with just eggs and no milk which had worked okay, but I tend to have to explain to my friends what I’m doing then!
  • svlofthouse
    svlofthouse Posts: 46 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This discussion’s spiralled somewhat! I don’t mind because it was beginning to feel a little accusatory.
    To get back to keto, I’d be interested to know how people explained what how and why they’re eating in that way. In social situations it can be hard to explain why you’ve brought your own food (I can’t really eat school or restaurant food as I’m a vegetarian).

Whaaa? Vegetarian for 45 years now, and I could count the times where I'd needed to bring my own food on the fingers of one hand. Admittedly, I'm ovo-lacto, not strict . . . but I think it wouldn't take more than the other hand and half a foot to count, if I were vegan, or vegan-keto, even - well, maybe both feet for vegan-keto. One meal is a blip, nutritionally. I figure I can eat anything, for one meal (though I'm sensitive to making my hosts feel uncomfortable). I love my friends, the diverse-er, the better!

Personally, and intentionally and knowingly speaking only for myself, not others . . . I'd prefer a limited meal to the interpersonal implications of bringing my own "me only" food to someone else's home. (I always discuss my preferences at invite time, and work out an amicable approach in advance with my host).

To answer your explicit question: At invite time, I say "I eat this and this; but not this. I'd love to come and socialize with you!" Adding: "Can I bring (description of delicious generally enjoyed dish that I eat)?", if that seems appropriate. I feel zero need to explain why I eat the way I do, but a lot of motivation to figure out how I can be a good contributor to general group enjoyment.

I'd add this: If it's not a common sit-down, around a table, no one much notices what anyone else eats.

I’d love to hear some of your recipes for vegan/vegetarian keto, especially to order in a restaurant because I seriously struggle!
    Thanks for the suggestion about eating together as well - maybe I just need to be more upfront
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    32 pages and not one response that I can see from the OP...
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    zeejane03 wrote: »

I stopped reading at "repetitive bowel blowouts"

I also can't remain unbiased when I see anything from that outlet..so excusing myself here...

lol...oh my goodness....i must repeat that " repetitive bowel blowouts "
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    baconslave wrote: »

I also can't remain unbiased when I see anything from that outlet..so excusing myself here...

Yeah...Fox News...
    Btw, it goes on to list side effects for other diets, like vegans and deficient b12 and gas from eating too many greens.

Re: the runs...It's not the lack of fiber in many cases, I don't think. If you put an oil-slick in your coffee or sauces, what do you expect to happen? :smirk:
    Some keto folk research before beginning or get advice from those who are veterans (who actually did research before jumping in) and figure out that drinking oil and overloading the fat is not necessary. Many keto gurus on YouTube and around tell people they have to gorge on fat. Keto for weightloss is not about the fat in as much as it's about the lack of carbs and getting enough protein. Fat naturally fills in for the lack of carbs (calorie-wise), but slathering butter and cheese all over everything isn't the way to do things. Sure, cook veggies in some fat for the NOM factor. But beyond that, the fat in your meat and dairy, and modest fat for cooking and sauce, are sufficient.
    I always advise people this macro priority:
    • Carbs are a ceiling in grams.
    • Protein is a range based upon your height, weight, and activity level.
    • Fill the rest of your calories with fat.
    The right level of carbs keeps you in ketosis, which helps suppress appetite in some, and can help with blood glucose management. The right protein keeps you from losing too much LBM. The fat keeps hormones balanced and helps with those fat-soluble micros. Too much fat though is just going to make you live in the bathroom. Why do that? Those that don't count calories and depend only on satiety signals can get into trouble by exceeding calories with too much fat as well. Those signals aren't always very reliable for some. I'm one of those. Fat is just not that satisfying for some people.

And also from that link:
    Sure, “Keto Crotch” is stealing the spotlight recently — but let’s not forget that smell can drift upwards, resulting in some seriously stank breath.

So stank crotch makes your breath smell bad?
    :joy: Say what, now?
    Keto Crotch sounds like a good supervillian. Stealing spotlights and what not...with her dastardly minion, Keto Breath. Looks like we need Carb Man (suitably dressed with his unders over his unnecessarily tight pants) to rescue us from this menace.
    Ah I literally chuckled out loud at that bold there :D

Thank you - you picked up on exactly what I meant. I mean, not only is keto crotch awful, but so is keto, and anything else not carb loaded!

Whatever side of the fence someone is on...that guy is not the one to get the details from ;):D
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    32 pages and not one response that I can see from the OP...

Her loss. She don't know what fun she's missing.
    Either that or she got more than she bargained for and ran away screaming. :drinker:

Or more realistically, keto just wasn't for her, and she could not sustain it. My optimistic side hopes she just decided to log, found that suited her better, and continued to lose instead. Naive hope maybe.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member

You're missing out. If you continued reading, you got this gem of a sentence: "Not eating enough fiber — or eating too much fiber — can leave your booty backed up."

Gah.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited March 2019

Yeah...Fox News...
    Btw, it goes on to list side effects for other diets, like vegans and deficient b12 and gas from eating too many greens.

Re: the runs...It's not the lack of fiber in many cases, I don't think. If you put an oil-slick in your coffee or sauces, what do you expect to happen? :smirk:
    Some keto folk research before beginning or get advice from those who are veterans (who actually did research before jumping in) and figure out that drinking oil and overloading the fat is not necessary. Many keto gurus on YouTube and around tell people they have to gorge on fat. Keto for weightloss is not about the fat in as much as it's about the lack of carbs and getting enough protein. Fat naturally fills in for the lack of carbs (calorie-wise), but slathering butter and cheese all over everything isn't the way to do things. Sure, cook veggies in some fat for the NOM factor. But beyond that, the fat in your meat and dairy, and modest fat for cooking and sauce, are sufficient.
    The right level of carbs keeps you in ketosis, which helps suppress appetite in some, and can help with blood glucose management. The right protein keeps you from losing too much LBM. The fat keeps hormones balanced and helps with those fat-soluble micros. Too much fat though is just going to make you live in the bathroom. Why do that? Those that don't count calories and depend only on satiety signals can get into trouble by exceeding calories with too much fat as well. Those signals aren't always very reliable for some. I'm one of those. Fat is just not that satisfying for some people.

And also from that link:
    Sure, “Keto Crotch” is stealing the spotlight recently — but let’s not forget that smell can drift upwards, resulting in some seriously stank breath.

Keto Crotch sounds like a good supervillian. Stealing spotlights and what not...with her dastardly minion, Keto Breath. Looks like we need Carb Man (suitably dressed with his unders over his unnecessarily tight pants) to rescue us from this menace.

Thank you - you picked up on exactly what I meant. I mean, not only is keto crotch awful, but so is keto, and anything else not carb loaded!

Whatever side of the fence someone is on...that guy is not the one to get the details from ;):D

I entirely disagree with you on keto being awful, naturally since I used it to lose all my weight and I did not have those side effects (bonus points, right :smirk: ), but it's good for people on the opposite sides of the fence to simultaneously be rational, able to still have fun, and agree that that person should not be allowed anywhere without a responsible editor present. :smile:

I have a fondness for keto (real keto, not keto fantasy), as it served as a good tool for me. I stopped using the tool when it became cumbersome (long story involving autoimmune disease). Certain tools work better for some than others. I'm a low-carb (100gish), calorie-counting fiend now during maintenance, except on the weekends, when it's Vegas around here. :wink: My best friend is just doing moderation and calorie-counting and coming along just fine with that. She tried keto, and it made her feel like absolute roadkill even when she was doing everything right. So she wisely found a better tool. The best strategy, IMO.

You missed my meaning. I was paraphrasing the authors apparent distaste for keto. At least that's the way the article came across to me. :)

edit: I did the same low(er) carb that you're describing. Loved it and am thinking about getting back to it..
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

You're missing out. If you continued reading, you got this gem of a sentence: "Not eating enough fiber — or eating too much fiber — can leave your booty backed up."

Gah.

Yup, inane content, very poorly written, and on the fox news site . . . it's kind of a tridefecta, innit?

And they didn't even write it! It was originally published in the New York Post. If you're going to borrow content, why not shoot for the well-written stuff?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member

Yeah...Fox News...

And also from that link:

I entirely disagree with you on keto being awful, naturally since I used it to lose all my weight and I did not have those side effects (bonus points, right :smirk: ), but it's good for people on the opposite sides of the fence to simultaneously be rational, able to still have fun, and agree that that person should not be allowed anywhere without a responsible editor present. :smile:

I have a fondness for keto (real keto, not keto fantasy), as it served as a good tool for me. I stopped using the tool when it became cumbersome (long story involving autoimmune disease). Certain tools work better for some than others. I'm a low-carb (100gish), calorie-counting fiend now during maintenance, except on the weekends, when it's Vegas around here. :wink: My best friend is just doing moderation and calorie-counting and coming along just fine with that. She tried keto, and it made her feel like absolute roadkill even when she was doing everything right. So she wisely found a better tool. The best strategy, IMO.

You missed my meaning. I was paraphrasing the authors apparent distaste for keto. At least that's the way the article came across to me. :)

edit: I did the same low(er) carb that you're describing. Loved it and am thinking about getting back to it..

Oops...sorry. My ADD is showing. :unamused: My kids are playing the XboxOne in here at volume 50. :confounded:
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member

Yeah...Fox News...

And also from that link:

So stank crotch makes your breath smell bad? :joy: Say what, now?

Well ... Oh, how easy it is to misunderstand, perhaps even intentionally. The idea would be that smells based on a problem can manifest in other areas.
    Now, per the analysis a gynecologist gave, this would indeed be a misunderstanding. Keto crotch is proposed to be based on vaginal pH changes, while Keto breath is a result of acetone production and elimination. I have a hard time thinking someone is going to inform people about how a low carb diet should be done but be utterly unfamiliar with the acetone breath as a possible result of it. I've never read a low carbohydrate book that didn't mention the acetone smell as something possible, including advising hydration to help reduce it.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member

Gah.

Yup, inane content, very poorly written, and on the fox news site . . . it's kind of a tridefecta, innit?

And they didn't even write it! It was originally published in the New York Post. If you're going to borrow content, why not shoot for the well-written stuff?

Gah.

I could've happily gone my entire life without seeing anyone call constipation a backed up booty.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Gah.

Gah.

I could've happily gone my entire life without seeing anyone call constipation a backed up booty.

That was where I really lost it.
This discussion has been closed.